96626AK

Can Some People Point Me In The Right Direction

16 posts in this topic

first of all hi to the community. ive had my lil 626 for about 2 years now and its got about 173k on the odometer. i recently got away from my 01 eclipse spyder and the money hole that was,(way to expensive of a project), so we are going to play with this thing. after reading for about a week now looking at random builds, faqs etc. learning lingo. i figured id put up something about my plans and try to get some advice, and pointers, and who knows maybe find some people in my area that would maybe hang out drink a few and help. well here are my plans,

phase one: clean up the interior, paint plastics,(im not a fan of the tan/beige) peel the horrible tint job that previous owner put on off, finish doing a thorough tune up. thus far i have pulled the MAF, throttle body, and egr to clean up. did spark plugs a while back and injector clean as well.

Phase two: pull the engine (i pulled the valve cover and its in def need of a inside out cleaning and gasket set). i would like to be very budget friendly on this so i may just do upper and lower gaskets, water pump, and mild machine work and get valve cover and intake mani(if i cant find an aftermarket one for a decent price) powder coated. start suspension work all four corners, shocks struts, sways, tie rods, drag links, etc. get it as close to new as i can. im focusing on oem for now, shocks i would like to upgrade. seen a few that everyones done havent found a place to get them yet. a set of springs would be nice too but again havent found anywhere that has em.

Phase three:swap seats out to the mx6s love the way those look in the builds ive looked at. start doing some more appearance mods, ie; interior lighting, system, paint, and continue to find more stuff that i can get from a junk yard from the compatible cars.

Phase four: start perfomance mods as i find them and collect nessasary data and other R&D that i need before i start. bouncing the idea of swapping out to mtx, maybe go boosted, who knows.

but if anyone has info or suggestions im all ears :) thanx.

Hi there and welcom to the forum ;)

The best mod you should do first: go to the junkyard and pull the rear sway bar with bushings off a 5th gen 626 (1998-2002) and get new end links (I got mines off ebay) and replace yours with it.

This mod is prety cheap and a great upgrade yiu can actually feel the difference. I presonally dont know how i drove around before this mod, feels like a whole new car :D ...

Pshhhhhh... we love pictures... ;) ;)

junk yard trip is coming up after the holidays. and i will get on the pictures when i get a new camera.

What is a pen doing on your floor mat?

I like the black dash. How did you achieved that look ?

at least its just a pen lol
The pen is to mark how many Hondas he has eaten to date ;)

Why is it that you guys have the cleanest interiors,.. I cant seem to clean mine as near as you guys have,.. Err,..O.o

I like the black dash. How did you achieved that look ?

at least its just a pen lol

The pen is to mark how many Hondas he has eaten to day ;)

I didn't even notice that nice catch ND28. Beautiful looking black dash. Is it painted or dyed? Looks perfect. As for cleaning Fade26, a steam cleaner works the best for the cloth interior. You can probably find a local detailing shop that will do it for cheap.

thanx for the comments on the dash. :biggrin: a good cleaning of it with simple green and windex.3 coats of good adheasion promoter(3m), and four coats of gloss black vinyl paint. prep is the key to a good paint job. as far as the interior cleanliness its not as clean as it appears, but typically i use a vacume and my wifes lil carpet shampoer with solution and stain remover. i was going to do the doors as well on the paint but i didnt realize they were vinyl as well so i cleaned em and when i get back from xmas vaction those will be next and maybe new liner for the cloth section. any ideas on what material to use on the headliner its drooping horribly so i figured id replace it with a black material or even carbon fiber lmao... hahah eating hondas. i dont race or even attempt it. i drive about like a granny. that 500 miles amonth commute for work kills budgets lol. but i do dispise hondas.

well this weekend im going to start sanding and filling then sealing the car... started noticing rust spots through out the car (doors, hood, trunk lid) gotta do something before it turns into a worse problem.. so the question is what grit sand paper should i start with? i figured a rather course grit to metal and plastic start body filler and work my way up to a really fine grit. then several coats of primer sealer. but thoughts on what i should start with? btw ill be using a orbital palm sander and a portable belt sander for the roof and big flat sections if that will make a difference

It depends on how bad the rust has corroded the metal. If it's god awful rust that has flake and deep pitting then you can start as low as you want maybe 80 grit. Generally for automotive work 200 is as low as you'll find in automotive stores. Anything lower than that usually a grinder is used but for us DIY'ers you can pick up lower grits like 80 (used for wood working) at home depot or lowes. If it's a light dash of surface rust then 400 is good. If it's flash rust from introducing a newly sanded surface to moist air or water then 800 is good. Anything above 800 is fine grit and is when painting usually starts. From there you can sand down primer or paint with 1200, use 1500-2000 for your finish sanding, rubbing compound (for paint) to bring out the shine of the paint, then clear coat the finished results to protect it. If you don't sand between coats of paint then you'll introduce orange peel and will be an uphill battle trying to get rid of that after multiple coats.

Start on the lowest grit you're comfortable with and work your way up to 1500-2000. For best results don't forget rubbing compound on your finished coat of paint then a clear coat.

Did you remove the dash or paint it in place?

thanks dj, i started with 80 on the spoiler and it was a lil excessive. ive been using 220 in between my coats of primer, and its coming out stunningly in my opinion. i just started this morning around 8 and waiting on last coat(4th) of primer to dry. getting the gloss black prepped to start spraying. ill try to get some pictures up once im done.

and as far as the dash i painted it in the car. i got down to just the dash and started to see just how much a pita is was gonna be to remove it completely i decided to mask off as much as i could even the seats and steering wheel to keep the vinyl paint from ruining other parts. it was a bit tricky and i did two really thin coats and one medium coat. stil looks good, ppl think i armoral it every day or something till they see the dust on it lol. overall the project has been fun, and relaxing a bit. plus my wife doesnt nag me being in the garage all day on my days off. i cant wait to start ordering my parts for the engine and exhaust. after research and diagnostics my rings are going out so im gonna have to tear the motor apart :( but yet another portion to add to. going to be fun hopefully by the end of marchish she will be good for another 175k with just general upkeep

thanks dj, i started with 80 on the spoiler and it was a lil excessive.

80 is about as excessive as it gets. 220 is still on the body working side not primer coats. I would recommend 800 on a primer coat to help keep the surface flatter. Trying to work back down to orange peel that was created using 220 can make for a very long and painful lesson in orange peel if you are sanding by hand. When I hit the painting stage I don't use anything lower than 800.