Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
XeNoMoRpH

Back In The 626 World (626 Gt)

It is official. I have rejoined the 626 world with a 1988 626 GT (sedan). It's got high mileage, but it's in pretty decent condition. Overall, I'm pretty happy and I'm ready to tear into it. My plans? Daily driver for now, but we know how long that lasts. Glad to officially be in the boost club :smile:

I'll get some pictures up soon and even possibly start a project thread since there are things that need some fixing.

• Like 3

I personally would rather have a hatch, but it's not too bad. I need to give the interior a good cleaning as well as the engine bay. The exterior is pointless to clean with the hardcore faded paint.

Pictures!! Pictures! :lol: will you name it too?? LOL

No pictures yet. I have yet to name a car, but you are welcome to come up with something once I post pictures.

I did a compression check and all cylinders were 150-155, so pretty good for 189k miles. It is drivable, so I took for a spin and it surprised the hell out of me. What a sleeper this thing is. Unfortunately, when I chirped 3rd, the alternator belt snapped and knocked the other one off. I headed to the auto store and got a battery (mine was wasted anyway) and a new alternator belt. I got the other one on, but not enough light/time for the alternator, so I drove the 2-3 miles on the battery which I had no worries about.

I've got a clutch kit and valve cover gasket coming tomorrow/Wednesday. It seems my water thermostat switch is unique in the sense that I can't find it anywhere. Apparently there may have been a half year for the '88 and I must have drawn the short straw. Any suggestions? All of the sites list a different switch.

Congratulations!!! That's awesome. :w00t: As for the thermoswitch, did you look into the 1988 manual hosted on PMX626.info? We demand pictures. :biggrin:

I did, but that 88 manual isn't very helpful. It's mostly them talking about why their changes are better than the '87 626. Lots of cool diagrams, but it seems they expect you to know more than the later manuals. It would have been awesome if it had a part number for it because it definitely shows the correct one. Mine is a single pin.

Also, just read about the bushings CF-Zero made. I didn't realize they worked for the 88-92.

If I get home and the weather is decent, I'll snap a couple of pictures. Thanks to http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/ and the awesome diagrams they have, I was able to track down the thermostat switch (F202-18-840A and F8B8-18-840A). Everywhere else says it fits a 93-95 RX-7. Apparently no one else got the memo that it is used in my '88.

i got my Bronze oil shifter bushings from Mcmaster carr. all 4 of them shipped was under $20 bux. i got the part # off club protege, and it fit our H series perfectly.

Cf_z doesn't make them anymore, but we are working with him on it. More to come with that later.

I put the alternator belt on and thought it was odd I didn't have a tensioner, so the old crowbar method worked. I also realized the valve cover has been leaking for sometime, among the other oil seals I imagine. Here are some pictures of it finally.

img-346794-1-WP_000033-150x150.jpg

img-346794-2-WP_000034-150x150.jpg

img-346794-3-WP_000035-150x150.jpg

img-346794-4-WP_000032-150x150.jpg

img-346794-5-WP_000036-150x150.jpg

I really need to clean it, but it's just too much fun to drive. I went ahead and ordered two Falken Ziex ZE-912 (205/60R-15) for the front. I may get another pair for the rear, but those tires appear to be very new. Also, any thoughts on the dual stage thermostat? Is it completely necessary?

Nice looking ride, i dont mind the 88's im thinking of getting the 2.2l turbo models GD to GF one day, when i get sick of the two 2.0l turbo 85 and 86 versions i got first though. My green turbo still sitting in garage waiting for a wheel align, roady and rego. Good ol degrease in that engine bay and it'll look great i bet.

i know there's a guy on performanceprobe selling the bronze oil ones also. the thread should be in the 1st gen classified section over there.

IMO the dual stage thermostat is a good idea.

I found that as soon as I put a new dual core radiator in mine the car never warmed up properly in winter. Mind you the winters are very mild where I live and I also had the type of drive where the engine wasnt making much power, i.e. constant speed driving at about 45mph.

You may find its not a problem for you.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I bought (4) bushings from McMaster-Carr (#5448T5) to make it more drivable until NDM gets his plans rolled out.

This is the first time I have even heard of a dual stage thermostat and it doesn't make any sense to me. From my research, it is to prevent shock from the cold radiator fluid rushing into the engine because that could cause the aluminum head to crack. I'm going to call BS because there are plenty of cars with aluminum heads that do not use a dual stage. I'm thinking I just won't worry about it and get a 180 (195 is too high in my opinion).

Nice find, everytime I see a turbo 626 it makes me want one even more. That is going to be my goal once I get my house with a garage. I am going to hunt for a turbo 626 as a project car.

• Like 1

Def keep the dual stage thermostat. the entire cooling system is designed around that, and if you put a store bought single stage in, it can open up a can of worms when it comes to cooling issues. and there still available at any Mazda. check out all the different cooling threads that have been posted on PT and mx6.com that have all been tracked back to having an incorrect single stage thermostat installed.

and you should have had a alternator tensioner, there was one originally at least. and a pretty simple and great designed one at that. take a picture of your upper alternator bracket if you can. if anything your missing the little box part of it. and i should have a spare one around if you cant source one locally.

When I chirped 3rd, the alternator belt snapped and knocked the other one off.

Lol that's pretty epic.

Cf_z doesn't make them anymore, but we are working with him on it. More to come with that later.

Do we have the specs for the bushings? I've got access to a lathe now at school, and there's a place semi-locally to me that has all kinds of plastics and polymers for sale. I forget what Cf_z used, like UHHWP or something along those lines of weird letters, but I know I saw they had it at the place. They also sell metals, and that's why I was there.

This is going to be an awesome thread, I have a feeling. ;)

NDM is working on getting the measurements. Without leaking too much, we are working on getting things made.

I went ahead and moved it to the project/build forum. It is a daily driver, but I have a feeling I won't be able to stay away. It sure didn't take me long to think about more boost...

congrats on the car once again, i passed on it and bought a probe instead. we both made out great it looks like. for the bushings the measurements are 10mm shaft diameter, 13mm outside diameter and 10mm length.mcmaster-carr's are alloy 932/sae660. this is the same measure. i wanted to get a set for my 626 but i haven't really been driving it much at all so i've held off.

is everything stock on the car now Michael? Sorry, I still haven't gotten a chance to go to the yard to see if any window switches are there, chances are I could probably get a passenger side but I believe I got all the remaining drivers sides for people on 3 sites. I may have a chance tomorrow after work, I'll let you know.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as well, I'm looking forward to your updates. I'm glad you enjoy the car. I wanted to buy it because it looks exactly like my 626 but mine is the n/a and it has rx7 wheels on it....and theres a couple small differences that me and Brandon noticed a couple months ago when he was still in NC. I haven't heard from him in awhile though, I hope hes alright.

Thanks, Andy. I know John was hesitant selling it to you because you wanted to drive it home which is understandable, but I think you would have made it no problem. As you said though, we both made out. Congrats on the Probe (turbo I assume).

Those are the bushings I ordered from them actually. It is a temporary solution.

Everything is stock except for the fog lights. I haven't even tried to find out how the hell I turn them on, but they will probably come off. John told me the headlights blow. I have yet to drive it at night, so I don't know. If you do end up getting out to the yard, here are two other things I'm on the lookout for (click for larger image):

Left rear trim piece

img-346848-1-WP_000037-150x150.jpg

Right rear passenger trim piece

img-346848-2-WP_000038-150x150.jpg

It also technically needs the MAZDA badge on the front grill (not sure how you lose that).

I got some of my parts in, but the thermostat switches are coming tomorrow. I went ahead and installed the new valve cover gasket. Before getting into that, I decided to clean it.

Here is the old:

img-346848-3-WP_000032-150x150.jpg

Present:

img-346848-4-WP_000041-150x150.jpg

img-346848-5-WP_000042-150x150.jpg

The gasket wasn't doing a damn thing. Just like the PCV grommet, it had become hard and brittle. I went ahead and replaced the PCV valve as well as the grommet.

Nice to see you're diving in and giving the car some love...I may need to not follow your progress as it's making me car-sick. It is a blast to drive though isn't it.

The front grille looks like it was chemically melted or something...looked that way when I got it. Maybe that same purple paint that's in the engine bay.

Have you investigated the clutch bearing?

Andy, glad you found something too.

Thanks, Andy. I know John was hesitant selling it to you because you wanted to drive it home which is understandable, but I think you would have made it no problem. As you said though, we both made out. Congrats on the Probe (turbo I assume).

Those are the bushings I ordered from them actually. It is a temporary solution.

Everything is stock except for the fog lights. I haven't even tried to find out how the hell I turn them on, but they will probably come off. John told me the headlights blow. I have yet to drive it at night, so I don't know. If you do end up getting out to the yard, here are two other things I'm on the lookout for (click for larger image):

Left rear trim piece

img-346864-1-WP_000037-150x150.jpg

Right rear passenger trim piece

img-346864-2-WP_000038-150x150.jpg

It also technically needs the MAZDA badge on the front grill (not sure how you lose that).

I got some of my parts in, but the thermostat switches are coming tomorrow. I went ahead and installed the new valve cover gasket. Before getting into that, I decided to clean it.

Here is the old:

img-346864-3-WP_000032-150x150.jpg

Present:

img-346864-4-WP_000041-150x150.jpg

img-346864-5-WP_000042-150x150.jpg

The gasket wasn't doing a damn thing. Just like the PCV grommet, it had become hard and brittle. I went ahead and replaced the PCV valve as well as the grommet.