Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
javi0sh

Another Over Heating ???

Im just curious where the oil cooler system is now - or IF IT EVEN HAS an oil cooler system?!?!?  Which would be a thumbs down for 2002 mazdas.

There is an ATF cooler on the 2002 2.5L KL Automatic and is located directly between the thermostat and radiator.  It's what the lower radiator hose gets plugged into.  Mazda calls that an oil cooler but it's a transmission fluid cooler.  That's the only mention I see of an oil cooler.

2002 2.5L Coolant System

2002 2.5L Oil System

Just finished replacing a cracked/leaking rubber cap on the oil cooler fitting for the second time in the last 8 months. Wondering if you know of a more permanent remedy to plug the oil cooler fitting.

The cap is actually shown in the diagram.  It is a factory capped line.  Zdanman is correct.  Here's the part number for the cap.

Mazda Part # KLG810509

Part # 10509 in the diagram.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/2002/626/CAP--BLIND---TIMING-BELT-COVER-UP/1887290/KLG810509.html

Capping a coolant line seems a receipe for disaster.  The cap will never hold up in the long run.  I would try to find a way to loop it back into the cooling system with a long hose and metal T connection.

Thanks for the reply. So you don't think something like just JB welding (High Heat) a bolt in the oil cooler fitting would have a very good chance of being water tight? 

Hadn't thought of looping it back in. Wondering if using a T - fitting to connect the oil cooler line into the line coming from the bottom of the overflow tank is a good idea, or if there is a better place to loop it back into the system.

Just finished replacing a cracked/leaking rubber cap on the oil cooler fitting for the second time in the last 8 months. Wondering if you know of a more permanent remedy to plug the oil cooler fitting.

Mine just sprung a leak again aswell.  The new rubber cap lasted 5 months.  Second worst design flaw I've ever seen in a vehicle.

So when I pull it into the shop this weekend to fix it, its going to be permanent - I'm going to pull my Miller out and weld it shut.

So my question is this...what is leaking out of that port?  Oil or coolant?  Your problem may be that your oil cooler may have cracked and is leaking fluid that shouldn't be in there to begin with.

The cap is actually shown in the diagram.  It is a factory capped line.  Zdanman is correct.  Here's the part number for the cap.

Mazda Part # KLG810509

Part # 10509 in the diagram.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/2002/626/CAP--BLIND---TIMING-BELT-COVER-UP/1887290/KLG810509.html

Capping a coolant line seems a receipe for disaster.  The cap will never hold up in the long run.  I would try to find a way to loop it back into the cooling system with a long hose and metal T connection.

@zdanman: I followed djdevon3's advice and looped the plugged oil cooler coolant line back into the systems. I was able to loop it up and around to another plugged fitting near the thermostat housing. That was a couple months ago and haven't had any issues. Just a thought.