Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
william8

Is It Possible To Swap An Auto For Manual?

Alright, so I have the 99 v6 auto and I hate the transmission. Simply hate it. Anyway, how much would it really take to convert it to a standard 5 speed? I'm sure the ECM would need to be swapped, the pedals would need to be changed, perhaps new driveshafts, but what else would that job entail? would it even be worth it?

In my experience, you don't need a new computer. It wouldn't hurt to swap over to the manual ECU but really it'll still work.

Transmission, pedals, hydraulic lines, axles, clutch assembly, flywheel and subframe parts (maybe) would be needed. There's prolly more stuff, but off the top of my head that's a good start.

Great, thanks. I was reading through it but I didn't cath anything about the coolant lines. My trans does have those lines running to it, doesn't it?

An automatic transmission has to have coolant lines connected to it. They generate way too much heat to not have any form of cooling. A manual transmission usually doesn`t require any extra cooling because it doesn`t generate near as much heat in most applications. In the case of this swap, the transmission coolant lines must be bypassed.

How do you bypass the coolant lines? I'm a little intimidated by doing this swap myself. I have a pretty strong mechanical aptitude and I can usually figure out how to fix almost anything that breaks on my vehicle, but Iv'e never done anything to this extent, so I'm trying to gather as much detailed information as possible on how to do this swap. Will I be using a hyraulic clutch? Will the computer be compatable with the MTX tranny? My guess is that i would just connect the two ends of the coolant lines together.

Either that, or get yourself a radiator from an MTX setup. :-)

Although I knew a guy once who told me that if you tie off the ATX radiator's coolant lines, either for an MTX swap or to replace the tranny cooling in the radiator with some other form of cooling, that you should leave the section of the radiator full of ATF before you tie off the lines. That otherwise you can get cracking in the radiator when you leave it empty and run it, after a while. I'm not sure how authentic that info is, I just remember that he told me that a couple times.

These cars have two separate computers: one for the engine and one for the automatic transmission. The manual transmission cars have a computer for the engine only and this one is different than the one for the automatic cars. The atx engine ecu should still work, but there may be some idle issues because the computer will be trying to compensate for the lack of a torque convertor. The mtx ecu will swap directly in its place. The clutch on these cars is only hydraulic as far as I`m aware of.

It's basically the cost of buying another car with the same motor and a manual transmission, buying some of the wear items new/rebuilt (clutch, pressure plate, axles, etc), and the time to swap out all the applicable parts (transmission, ECU's, pedals, shifter, linkages, etc), and scrap the rest of the other car.

You'd be better off finding another car with your motor and a manual transmission, buy it, and sell your car. If you do it right, you could break even or make a couple bucks.