Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

How the Pressure Regulator Control (Fuel Pressure Regulator) Solenoid Works in the FS engine:

The purpose of the PRC solenoid is to prevent vapor lock of the fuel during hot restart idle. Vacuum to the pressure regulator is momentarily cut and the fuel pressure increased to slightly more than 41.2 PSI.

The Fuel Pressure Regulator solenoid is called the PRC solenoid for Mazda vehicles. The abbreviation for FPR is taken by the Fuel Pump Relay so PRC is used to denote the Fuel Pressure Regulator solenoid otherwise known as the Pressure Regulator Control solenoid..

Conditions of Operation

Fuel pressure is raised when any of these conditions are met:

(+) Cranking

(+) After restart. If it's been less than 10 seconds since the engine was turned off, the coolant temperature is above 194F, intake air temperature is above 95F.

(+) After restart. If it's been less than 2 minutes since the engine was turned off, the coolant temperature is above 194F, intake air temperature is above 95F and throttle is less than 1000 RPM.

Related DTC's

1993-1995 FS ATX EEC-IV: Code 554

1993-1995 FS MTX & all KL's MECS-II: Code 25

1996-2002 FS & KL OBD-II: P0440 to P0457 & P1250

Note: the PRC solenoid in the 1998-2002 Mazda 626 was moved to the top of intake runner #4. The design and diagnostic procedures are exactly the same only the location moved.

Diagnostic Video

img-341941-1-F3-130.jpg

Please be aware that the diagram below 16E0F1-143 is somewhat misleading. There are only 2 pins on the PRC solenoid. The top port on the connector is only for the connectors tab-lock mechanism. There is no pin in the upper port, both pins are in the bottom 2 ports as shown in figure 36U0F1-266.

CAUTION: While performing step 4 if you get the pins switched and accidentally put battery voltage on the negative terminal and ground the positive terminal you can fry your solenoid. Make sure you don't have any touching wires between the pins. When you do it correctly you will hear a click as the solenoid opens.

img-341941-2-F3-131.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 1996 miata 

Just ran across this topic and have a question hope you can help
I just installed a new PRC 
When I blow in the top port it comes out the non filtered port
When I turn on the key ,I hear the PRC click and air still flows out non filtered port
I can drive it for an hour or two kill it and when I go to start right back up 
Air still flows out the nfp port
I took off and tested with a nine volt battery 
When I blow in the top port with power then it flows out the air filter port
So it switches with the nine volt battery 
Can you tell me where to go from here or is the PRC working correctly
What throws me is the click sound when it is hooked to car and not switching
Any help appreciated
I have three not ready monitors that will not ready no code no cel
I had the same problem before and replaced the PRC and they went ready
The one on ethere now seemed sluggish so put the new one on