Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Original Source: http://reocities.com/motorcity/5335/zevs03.htm

Same car, different motors. The VRIS points, timing, and fueling are most certainly different on the ZE than on the 03 so a chip or J-Spec ECU should really improve the curves. There is an impressive increase in power through the entire band, but over 5500RPM, the ZE completely embarrasses the 03. Note also that the ZE HP peaks 6000 where the 03 is 5600. Quite possibly, this is due to different cams. Also note that the ZE's torque doesn't peak as high compared to the 03's HP/torque figures. It is completely possible that the US Spec VRIS points are hindering higher torque figures.

post-15320-0-49384400-1340397593.jpg

This should defo be done with a chip also, like the xtremethings one if the car is bolt-on DD ZE.

Let's say you go with some ZE cams from Corksport and XtremeThings J-Spec ECU (including modified VRIS), would you expect the DE to be closer to the ZE? How about finding a way to modifiy existing DE VRIS does such a thing exist other than swapping in a J-spec ECU? If people could upgrade their DE's by throwing cams and an ECU in there I think people would have started doing that a long time ago. It's nice to see someone actually put up measurable proof via a dyno comparison instead of theory. Thank you NDM.

There is 3 things they changed from DE to ZE:

- cams

- compression 9:1 to 10:1

- intake manifold

VRIS is manifold spesific, but also affected by stroke and cam duration, since its resonating the intake pulse. The reason DE and ZE have different VRIS pounts is because of the different manifold design for higher HP numbers.

DE manifold still give the most torque.

^

not to mention the heads that flow quite different also. but there's been arguments over which head design is better also.

Do the pistons make up the 10:1 difference by themselves? I'm thinking there might be a small difference in the crankshaft too. Anyone ever caliper them side by side?

Do the pistons make up the 10:1 difference by themselves? I'm thinking there might be a small difference in the crankshaft too. Anyone ever caliper them side by side?

From what I've readthe KLZE / KLDE/03 Cranks are very similar if unchanged. However the KLG4 crank is supposebly 7lbs lighter based on this post here: http://mazda626.net/topic/37114-klde-vs-klg4-vs-klze/#entry299988

^

not to mention the heads that flow quite different also. but there's been arguments over which head design is better also.

There was some flow numbers posted on PT from a russian guy, saying the KLDE flow better.

Yep, 10:1 vs 9:1 should make a noticable difference in a KLDE.

From what I've readthe KLZE / KLDE/03 Cranks are very similar if unchanged. However the KLG4 crank is supposebly 7lbs lighter based on this post here: http://mazda626.net/...ze/#entry299988

From what i ahve read, the KLDE/ZE is forged steel with a nitrid coating, while the KLG4 is cast iron or something. The KLDE/ZE is far supperior, even if its heavier.

I have always been really keen to swap some ZE cams into my DE to see how much difference it makes, and being cams, its not too hard to do compared with messing round with your crank and pistons.

Also lately I have been thinking of messing around with my VRIS. Im sure it wouldn't be too hard to set up a variable control unit for the VRIS timing. One weekend soon I want to just hook a couple of LEDs up to the two solenoids so I can see when they open and close, just because I thought it might be interesting :D

I'm thinking there might be a small difference in the crankshaft too. Anyone ever caliper them side by side?

ive compared the flywheels a few years back on a thread i posted on PT. thats when i documented the lighter weight KLG4 one. the ZE crank is spot on the same as a us spec DE crank. the only difference is the stamping #'s.

and no one has actually had the crank checked even still. people are just assuming its cast. at this point its still just hearsay.

^

There was some flow numbers posted on PT from a russian guy, saying the KLDE flow better.

That was on a ported DE head, as it had more potential for porting because it had more material to remove and you're not stuck with the square design of the ZE runners. Square is not optimal for flow.