4 posts in this topic

I have a 98 626 with an ongoing problem that is driving me (no pun intended) nuts. It a 2 liter, 5 speed that has 200,000 miles (not 'k') on it that has been the best car ever that I've had. The only thing that I've ever had to replace is a 1/2 shaft due to a torn boot. I can't get rid of a misfire that I've had for a couple of years. I've replaced the plugs, the plug wires, the fuel filter, the coil pack. I've tried various fuel conditioners and higher octane gas all of which has very short term improvement. I 've he engine sputters at low rpm's when I step on the gas. If I let off the gas and then rev it again it is usually fine. It runs fine at higher rpm's unless I push on the gas too hard. I've read a lot lately that it may be the mass air flow sensor that needs to be cleaned but I'm not sure. Does anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance, Adrian

Misfires are usually caused by reduced spark, reduced fuel pressure, or incorrect timing (mechanical or ignition). Have you tried pulling codes (free at any AutoZone) when it's misfiring?

Yes. The only time that I ever got a check engine light I went to Autozone and the codes was simply a misfire in cylinder 3. After that I changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and ignition coil. It always felt a little better after each thing that I did but then got back to the same condition quickly. I think maybe the 'improvement' was mental, not an actual change in the car. I tried playing with the mass air flow sensor yesterday - didn't pull it and clean it - but did undo the filter box and move it around a lot. Felt better again today but based on past history (is there any other kind?) it will be back to normal tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response!Adrian

If the code didn't narrow it down to a possible reason then it's something most likely out of the ECU parameters to monitor. Recommend you see a mechanic. Sorry we just don't have any information to base a diagnosis on without seeing your car. You need a technician to get hands on your car.