Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mazdacdn

Need Help Remove Rear Brake Drums

Hi

Have a 91 626 and was trying to remove the rear drums to replace the brakes. Can,t seam toremove the drums, have removed the nut in the center and have pound on the drum with rubber hammer to release it still no luck. Any one else had this problem, any suggestions on how to remove.also does not seem to be any holes in backing plate to adjust brakes so can lossen off.

I'm looking to pull my drums off pretty soon. I want to do a disc brake conversion from a 91' Probe eventually, but money is tight right now, so I'll probably end up just putting new shoes on the drums. This is the only car I've ever owned with rear drums, so it's going to be a learning experience for me too. I'll get back to you with whatever tips I can, and if you get any clues keep the thread going. cheers.

its been a REALLY long time, but there is a little gear on the back side you can turn, that will adjust the shoe's in so you can pull the drum off. you have to use a small flat head to rotate the gear if i remember right.

after i blew like $400 on parts to rebuild my rear drums. i ripped them off after a week cause they were still garbage, gave them to a local 626 guy with rear drums, and swapped over a 1st gen PGT rear disc set up. and the sad part is i spent less swapping it over to disc's, then i did replacing everything on the drums. lol.

and if you have any questions about the disc conversion, just ask. i actually remember that process alot better as ive now done it on a few different mazdas.

swapped over a 1st gen PGT rear disc set up.

do you mean Probe GT? and what years are 1st gen? Is there already a thread about this I can read without constantly bugging you? :p34fh: Mazda :wub:

any 89-92 probe GT or 90-92 probe LX will have the rear disc set up that will swap directly onto our car. the 88-92 mx6 shares the same parts also.

to do the swap you will need the rear hubs, calipers, little rubber brake lines going to the calipers. and the E brake cable as that is different also. i bought all my parts at the junkyard for like $75 bux. then bought brand new pads and rotors.

for the install, you just unbolt the original drum hub, and bolt the disc hub right up. it took me about 3 hours to do the entire swap.

Just went through this on my 91 626 DX. You have to remove the little Hub Cap and then the Axle Nut to remove the Brake Drums. The Axle Nut has a 'standard' thread (Clockwise to tighten, CounterClockwise to loosen) and it's one of those that gets 'crushed' into a groove in the Axle to lock it, so you'll need to uncrush it first and probably replace it with a new one for reinstall. Once it's off, and the shoes are loose from the Drums, the Drums should pull straight out and off.

Hey I know this was weeks ago I haven’t been on in a while... yes you have to remove the spindle nut. You need to pry up the locking nuts where they were punched they loosen counterclock wise, they are not self locking nuts as you discribed but do need to be punched with a screwdriver or something to lock them. I have reused the spindle nuts but only a couple times. the whole drum should slide off if not there should be a small spring behind the backing plate you can manipulate to loose the shoes.  if you are replacing the shoes and drums you will need to press the bearings and wheel studs out and into the new drums.