Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
troll2fan

Turbocharger On A 626 I4?

Has anyone put a turbo on a 626 I4? People always give me weird looks when I tell them I want to turbo mine. :) Anyway, if someone has, what has worked the best? Was it worth it? I saw a youtube video where they put a turbo on a '91 626 4cyl.

its been done quite alot. the same motor even came boosted from mazda directly in the mazdaspeed protege's. i even have most of a turbo 2.0 kit in my garage.

Mono, he has a 91 626, I thought they came with the 2.2L (FE3 I think...?) engines. Either way yes, its most certainly possible to turbo your car. If you have an ATX though, you're SOL because they'll shred in no time because of the extra HP

Turbo charging the 2.0L FS-DE is very doable and there are a couple ways to approach it.  However, each of the approaches will cost at least a couple times more than your car is worth.

Approach #1 - Buy a MazdaSpeed Protege donor and swap the parts to your 626.  If the Protege is in running condition, it will be worth about 2-3 times your car.  It's also lighter and has a sportier suspension than your car.  So you'll be taking apart a quick sporty car to build a less quick less sporty car.  If it's not running, you'll still be hard pressed to find one cheaper than your car is worth and you'll likely need to replace some of the parts like the turbo which means even more money.  MazdaSpeed Proteges were a limited run car that was built for just 2 years over 12 years ago.  They don't come up for sale daily.  You'll have to be a little patient.

Approach #2 - Buy and install aftermarket parts from SpeedCircuit.net and other sources.  The sum total of the parts required will be about 2 times what you car is worth.  Even with all the aftermarket parts to do this, it still takes notable fabrication and tuning work to get everything installed and functioning.  So if you have to farm out the custom exhaust fabrication, modifications to the front end to fit the intercooler, and tuning to get the fuel/ignition system working without tripping the check engine light (I assume you want this to pass inspection) that'll cost you even more.

To be honest, the best approach is to clean up your 2.0L 626, sell it for as much money as you can get for it, and buy a nice 2.5L 626 with manual transmission for the money plus a little extra.  You'll gain about 50hp-60hp, you'll have a car that is serviceable and can pass inspection, and you will have more tuning options to get a little more power if you choose.