Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
snailman153624

How To Fabricate & Replace Broken Window Slides/rollers

Technically, I did this on my MX-6; the Probe uses the same regulator assembly, and the 626 and many other cars have a very similar setup.

The Problem:

My driver's window fell down inside the door (again, *sigh*); the steel cable that is used to pull it up or down (via the electric motor) had become dislodged (again), so I ordered a new regulator assembly ($240, ouch!), since my previous repair only lasted ~1.5 years. The new regulator included a new motor and steel cables, as well as the guide rail, but not the bracket with slides/rollers that actually move up and down inside the track. This bracket is bolted to the window itself.

If your car is like mine, it's ~17 years old at this point, and my original rollers/slides were brittle and cracked, particularly the ones in the powered track (there are two tracks to hold the window level as it moves up and down...the main one has the motor on it). Junk yard ones would probably be in similar if not worse shape, and I couldn't find this part new anywhere.

The Solution:

I found some nylon furniture feet/sliders that had the exact diameter and thickness that I needed at the local home improvement store. They cost around $2 or $3.

post-276-0-19048900-1335734071.jpg

post-276-0-01272300-1335734079.jpg

I then drilled out the center (and removed the nail) to match the OD of the pins they have to fit over...IIRC it was a 3/8" drill bit, but always double-check; I recommend using a step drill or larger bit to also slightly countersink the face (I didn't do this, and wish I had) so that the roller can be spaced a little further from the bracket.

post-276-0-89645400-1335734086.jpg

I then took a rotary type tool and ground off most of the lip on the roller pin/stud (left enough of a nub so that the rollers wouldn't fall off, but could be pressed over them).

I used a couple of copper washers (old ones from brake banjo bolts in my case) to space the roller away from the bracket, as they had a large enough ID to fit over the pin/stud. As mentioned above, it should have been just a little further from the bracket, so my window tilts inwards slightly, but it's not a big deal. I also had to slightly bend the cable guide bracket due to the tighter clearance (this is probably unique to the MX-6).

I then pressed the new rollers on with a C clamp and some channel-lock pliers. Here are some pictures of the finished product:

post-276-0-94263200-1335734055.jpg

post-276-0-69680800-1335734063.jpg

The window is nice and tight again!

Genius! That's awesome. Can we get the specific part# for that Shepard Hardware Product please just to have it listed. I know the UPC is there but might be easier replicating the setup with a part #.

have similar fix for my mx6. these pieces are exact in every dimension to original rubber pieces, you can see how I put them on by cutting a slot and snapping them on, the small gap in the roller causes no problem in the slide railsIMG_20190129_185039.thumb.jpg.fe04810ce34df234b3d88da48c2851e4.jpg