Greenbaypackers

Hole In Maf Or What?

17 posts in this topic

Hey im new to this awesome form looks to be very helpful. Anyway there might be a hole in my MAF i kinda looks like a crack but sorta looks like its ment to be there? its on the right side right under the black cover were it plugs in. it feels like air is being sucked through it witch there is no filtration. my Check engine light came on and went and got my code read and it was my IAC valve code. it says something about checking for vacume leaks the MAF it self and the IAC valve i cant reamber. its been stalling lately when coming up to a stoplight then turning green befor i stop and trying to accelerate and when i try to get out of my own way turning onto a road. hope some people can tell me how to fix this. Thanks everyone

Is that a hole to the left of the torx screw? That hole should not be there. Recommend you unbolt it and see what kind of defect it is and take another picture if possible. If that's a hole it could be allowing unmetered air into the system. Basically a vacuum leak directly after the MAF.

I covered the hole with the metal ductape the engine light went off but today it comeback on and the tape is still on there good. My dad bought the whole system at a junkyard for 54$ from a 96 and I took my car to auto tech today ( i go to a tech school for construction but they have automotive class) and the code reader did not read the code? Weird hope it's not a different code any ideas why the light would come back on and start to stall and sputter again?

Normally I would look through both 1996 and 1998 manuals and tell you if the MAF readings are expecting different values. Unfortunately I'm moving this weekend and everything is in boxes. Suggest you find someone that has access to alldata that can look up the differences in the MAF and see if the values should be the same otherwise you'll have installed an incompatible module. Other than that I would search for more vacuum leaks. Stalling due to vacuum leak is rare unless it's a really big leak. I would check timing make sure that is on, pull some sensor data from the crank sensor, and check the distributor cap/rotor.

When my parts got home everything was different so nothing fit and I will check those things. Thanks

This probably should be in the Tech Section however.....

here are some things that might be helpful for you year of car model:

(BTW- Best match parts 98-02 models)

Take the sensor off the maf block. try not to break the screws though. then look closely at the two resistors on the sensor. if they are kind of cruddy looking buy a can of maf cleaner spray it directly on them and use an air nozzle to clean them off. repeat till they are aluminum colored. do not try to clean with a pick or you will damage them. This is what was wrong with my car with the same issues you explained. and my snap on scanner didnt read anything wrong either.

Great suggestions by MazRedMan and 96Mazdog626. Cleaning could help improve the sensor signal. Since the leak is right there by the sensor in your case it's probable that your sensor is more susceptible to dirt buildup. Just make sure to follow the directions in the guide MazRedMan gave you and be very very gentle with your cleaning. In some cases even touching the hotwire will cause it to break so be very gentle with the force of any aerosol solvents. Spray from a good distance. Might take you more time but it's the more careful approach.

Recommend you plug the hole with JB Qwik or JB Weld which can be purchased from just about any automotive store. JB Qwik is a thick resin and because it's thick it's great for applications requiring patching or molding. It suits your need perfectly. After it's dried you can spray paint it silver to match the surrounding metal (it cures dark gray).

Ah, the 'hole' in the edge of the MAF housing is suppose to be there....mine looks exactly like the one shown by GreenBay.

The MAF sensor enters a hole in the housing and is sealed off by a rubber O-ring at the base of the sensor. Metal to metal parts do not seal off anything. However, if there is another hole that enters the housing then that should probably not be there.

See pictures in the above 'How-To' (MAF cleaning) to see the O-ring.

Thanks everyone. I cleaned my MAF and it helped a little. My car just got a bad leak i thought it was the rear main, i took it to the shop and they found out it was my upper oil pan gasket and transmission valve body gasket leaking. and they found mismatching spark plugs and one was cracked so was running on 3cyl :wacko:(the first owner of the car was smart) just thought that's how my Mazda drove lol. and they redid my timing. wish they told me it wasn't my rear main because i could have saved half a grand.... o well

Everyone has that hole in their MAF? Oh that's really weird. Well congrats Greenbaypackers on finding the culprit and getting it fixed. Sounds like you have a good team of technicians working on the car. Really good to hear. Enjoy the road.

Well my car drove very nice for one day now it is wore than ever. so i was driving and just got onto the highway and when i hit 65 mph my car screeched really bad and i pulled over and it stop'd so i proceeded on my way to get my code read again (iac code again) and my car progressively got wore and worse the idle sucks in drive i have to put it in neutral so it doesn't shake my car into pieces and die on me. and now when i have my defrost/AC on in neutral it does the same thing as if it was in drive. at a stop light when i try to accelerate my car craps out and flashes the dumb check engine light and i have to floor it to get anywhere. any more suggestions for me? Thanks for the help

Well, did you or your mechanic test/clean the IAC valve (see earlier posted link)?

It seem that the code is pointing in that direction.

If you cleaned the valve and tested the resistance value and it shows it is still in the proper specs range then I would try Seafoaming the IM (1/3 of can into vacuum line of either Brake booster or PCV) before I buy a new expense IAC (or maybe junkyard or Ebay cheaper). Good luck!