RacerX

'93 626 Lemon Racer

1,748 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RacerX said:

We learned that you will drive the car as long as it's driveable. After all this is LeMons, Chump, or WRL. It's a cheap motor/transmission. Drive it as long as you can and fix it before the next race weekend.

We actually ran into issues just like this during a Sebring race in our other car, 1st or 2nd stint the car was already running 10 degrees hotter than we liked, so during the next pit stop we cut more airflow into the bumper, reduced temps for the next stint and at sebring in the heat of the day when track temps are 120+ and air temps are in the 90s, we were glad we made the choice ahead of time to address a running hot condition.

Well, the car is pretty much ready for Sebring. Alex is going to align it tomorrow. Over the last week or so it's got a pretty beefy oil cooler, new window net, gauge panel with 2 5/8" AutoMeter gauges and we also put a Hydramat fuel pickup in the tank. We'll align the gauges after this race once we get a good handle on "normal" ranges. We're claiming everything on our tech sheet, and we're still only at 370 points (out of an allowed 500 before penalty laps). 

There have been a lot of "little" adjustments to the car. For example we skinned the trunklid and made it a pin-on, went to an 11# Braille battery, further adjusted the seat position, went to a bigger tire/wheel, etc.. The car was a solid base to start with and we think it's going to do well. 

Mazda FB(17).jpg

Mazda FB(18).JPG

Mazda FB(19).JPG

Mazda FB(20).jpg

Mazda FB(21).jpg

21 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Awesome! Good luck at Sebring!

Thanks man, Hurricane IRMA really slowed us down, but a few solid days and we are back on track.  The shop came out ok in the storm but my house got hit pretty hard, lost a lot of the roof along with some decent water damage.

-Alex

We will post the livestream link here on Sat for anyone that wants to ride along during the race.   Race is from 9am-11pm EST. 

Well, we won B-class. The 626 took the lead about 6 1/2 hours in and never lost it. 

Pretty much everything we did to the car worked well. No issues with the new (used) engine in the car. No leaks, no failures. The tune had the car burning ~5.5 GPH on average, although one driver who ran a full 2-hour session with zero FCY's and lap times within 1-2 seconds of our FTD burned 13.5 gallons (~6.7 GPH). This driver was also using 2nd gear in a number of areas, so not surprising. The fuel tank with removed baffling and Hydramat worked well. Even after burning 13.5 gallons of fuel the car wasn't starving.

All of our drivers were very impressed with the level of grip the car had and the brakes. Our fastest lap of the day put us about mid-pack for the entire field. We were about mid-pack in our class as well, but the fastest car was an RX7 that we knew couldn't make more than ~80-90 minutes on fuel. and it was driven by professional driver Ethan Lowe. 

Only a couple of glitches with a very early-race contact that caused some minor damage and an 11th hour issue with a driver having trouble at night. We kept the car on-track and brought home the win. We'll be back in December looking for a 2nd trophy, then up to Road Atlanta in February. 

We'll be installing new lighting and have talked about going to a better shock/strut. Other than that, only some minor changes like pedals (the gas pedal fell off early in the race and we found out that it was held on to the stock pedal with bendable metal tabs), some interior ventilation, maybe a little more weight reduction, etc. 

Sebring (2).jpg

Sebring (1).jpg

Sebring (4).jpg

Sebring (5).jpg

Sebring (6).JPG

We completed 966 miles during the race finishing 17th overall.   Zero mechanical issues except for the power steering line that was ripped apart in the early contact.   We got the fixed pretty quickly under yellow and it didn't hurt us as much as it could of.  The motor never missed a beat and ran at about 170-180* the entire race.   All renters were told they could rev to 6.5k.  They all had a blast and were very surprised with how good the car was.   Most of them have Porsche's and are signing up for more races. 

Matt

Thanks.

The car really was flawless, the JDM engine is a monster.  We put the big oil pan on it with a engine cooler, engine temps never got over 185 the entire race even in the middle of the heat/humidity of the day.  As night came on I (Alex) got in the car in the last hour and pushed her to the fastest lap of the day.

The car had zero mechanical issues, the 245wide RS4 tires hook up like glue.  I'm going to redesign the power steering line system to be better protected in the case of accidents or small crashes.  We got hit on the right front and it broke the return line, as said above it was a quick fix under yellow and we didn't lose too much time.

Tear down and rebuild is already underway less than 14hrs after a 14hr race.  We will be ready for the next race in December at Sebring even stronger.

IMG_20170924_161234.jpg

Awesome! Congrats guys!  Was following along on race monitor and was excited to see you steadily climbing the leaderboard. 

Congrats!  I remember being at Texas World Speedway and having the stock gas pedal pop off.  It was a little harder to rev match, but my big feet were up to the task.  When I got out of the car I threw the pedal out.  The next driver asked me "What was that?"  my response was, "It's the gas pedal, you don't need it"

9 hours ago, SK8BRD said:

Congrats!  I remember being at Texas World Speedway and having the stock gas pedal pop off.  It was a little harder to rev match, but my big feet were up to the task.  When I got out of the car I threw the pedal out.  The next driver asked me "What was that?"  my response was, "It's the gas pedal, you don't need it"

We didn't need it to finish the race. But if it fell off and wedged under the brake pedal in a braking zone or hung up on the pedal assembly it could have been trouble. 

These will all be removed and replaced before the next race. 

On 9/24/2017 at 5:33 PM, 626lemons said:

Great job!!!  Way to keep the success going with that car.  Amazing what a 4 banger family sedan can do.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:27 PM, thewheelerZ said:

Awesome! Congrats guys!  Was following along on race monitor and was excited to see you steadily climbing the leaderboard. 

23 hours ago, SK8BRD said:

Thanks guys!

Congrats on the impressive finish. It's even more impressive given the quick pit work you had to do after the contact. The motor is definitely stronger than ever. Those meater tires would have been too much for the old motor setup. It obviously pulls harder than before, and you proved a Mazda FS motor can handle the extra revs.

That car now has trophies in LeMons, WRL, and Chump :thumbsup:

The chassis and rear bar are definitely stiff enough to tripod the car at turn in under braking. We saw that diving into "the bitch" at Hallett Motor Circuit too.

The gauge setup looks great and I'm sure everything is more visible than those LED gauges. The idiot lights are perfect.

Also, the Hydromat proved to be everything it promised. Nice job with that setup. I always wanted to try it, but never got around to that modification. BTW, we saw the exact same thing regarding fuel mileage. When drivers used second gear to keep revs up, it didn't make much difference in lap times but it did make a noticeable difference in fuel mileage.

You mention installing an oil cooler. What were oil temps like during the race? Did the water temps stay reasonable all day?

16 hours ago, RacerX said:

You mention installing an oil cooler. What were oil temps like during the race? Did the water temps stay reasonable all day?

Water temp never went over 185 all day.  even in the high heat and humidity of Florida.  Oil temp gauge wasn't able to get fully installed by this race, after a 14hr race we were shocked when we checked the oil and it still as crystal clean as new out the bottle.  I would not be surprised if oil temps also never got above 180.