Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
madaz_gc_85

2012 Gc's Are Still Lookin Good!

Nice vids, i also watched the other one after it, its the marone hatch...lol i know i got bored....

And this is a build sheet, some if any, original owners would have this peice of paper, or a dedicated enthusiast like myself..lol

Wouldnt it just be awesome if that was the factory motor and turbo in that vid..... sorta sounds like mine when it spools but not as long or as loud though. I scanned what i will call "my cars birth certificate" to show yas as pictures paint a thousand words im just happy to have this old peice of paper that has my cars info on it from the factory...yayeyay!

image_url-19340-1360107373.jpg

Wouldnt it just be awesome if that was the factory motor and turbo in that vid..... sorta sounds like mine when it spools but not as long or as loud though. I scanned what i will call "my cars birth certificate" to show yas as pictures paint a thousand words im just happy to have this old peice of paper that has my cars info on it from the factory...yayeyay!

image_url-19340-1360107373.jpg

Now why haven't I seen you around... :huh:

I don't have one of these :( but I do have a GC... and they're quite common south of Toowoomba (I work in Stanthorpe and drive back and forth every day). Helped some old duck out a while ago (blocked fuel filter, had one floating around the boot) and her GC had 530+ on the clock and still seemed to be running well :mellow:

As for mine... I'll find some images and upload for you :)

Yea i found my build sheet under the roof lining near the sunroof power switch/drivers side (where sun visor is) when i was installing my fandangled 2way car alarm (running antenna cord from rev. mirror down to drivers front pillar) and came across it...i actually thought it was a 50 buck note by the feel at first then when i slid it out the biggest smile grew on my face i didnt know wat it was till i seen all my cars info typed on it, The green GC has like 441,000 sommin klms and the silver GC has close to 200,000(silver one took a beating tho b4 i saved her i had to put another motor and box in her) I get around here n there, but not always in the green machine usually in the silver bullet mostly...thats the names for my cars, i get bored cos they dont break down much and i get sick of playing black ops 2 lol.

OK, here's some photos of Tank. I was thinking of the name Nikki originally (after the carb) but Tank sounded more utilitarian and robust. Besides, I'm already in love with another 29 year old woman so could have become awkward :P

Here we go... apologies for anyone on dialup (do you still exist? I'm in the arse end of nowhere on 21Mbps so thought it OK...)

post-31636-0-21955000-1363768318_thumb.j

Side view. Looking at getting the wheels re-chromed at some point to keep it authentic. Sorry about the dirt on the rear, plenty of unsealed roads here and a constant battle to keep Tank clean along with the bugs in the corn and sorghum fields. Apologies for the Australian made junk in the background (for the record it doesn't go, nor does the van, gotta love bogan neighbours)

post-31636-0-10896500-1363768328_thumb.j

The front - a little battle scarred from bugs and a small roo collision, but the panels themselves are in good condition.

post-31636-0-35049200-1363768298_thumb.j

The rear - bumper is a bit crazed but still does the job.

post-31636-0-05094700-1363768289_thumb.j

The boot (trunk) - taken before the floods; there's a lot more in there now, tools, spares, water, food, clothing in addition to the standard car box.

post-31636-0-36864000-1363768269_thumb.j

Engine bay

post-31636-0-36825800-1363768252_thumb.j

Engine bay #2

post-31636-0-87856800-1363768234_thumb.j

Engine bay #3

post-31636-0-95013100-1363768209_thumb.j

Driver's side. Yes the wheel cover and seat covers are old, I'll replace them one of these days :blink:

post-31636-0-96888400-1363768344_thumb.j

Instrument cluster

post-31636-0-71053800-1363768364_thumb.j

Passenger footwell, the grey bit fell down one day and I haven't been able to get it back up there!

Another white one with maroon interior...my interior is blue..maybe a NSW-QLD thing lol.

As for that grey thing (which is really black or meant to be) I havent had mine installed in ages. I never got around to putting it back after the numerous times working under there. No one notices it when its not there including me so I never got around to refitting it.

Tidy engine bay, looks pretty original in there, factory A/C too, nice.

Another white one with maroon interior...my interior is blue..maybe a NSW-QLD thing lol.

You never know! :biggrin: [EDIT] My wife used to have a 1985 Super Deluxe hatch, with a yellow trim!

As for that grey thing (which is really black or meant to be) I havent had mine installed in ages. I never got around to putting it back after the numerous times working under there. No one notices it when its not there including me so I never got around to refitting it.

And passengers don't really notice it either. As it's usually just me in the car, I've never bothered.

Tidy engine bay, looks pretty original in there, factory A/C too, nice.

Yes - it's only been regassed once, that was during the R12 to R134a conversion in 2007. Didn't cost a cent to convert, the bloke was so thrilled he could recover some R12 that he didn't charge for the conversion, been running fine since despite some bloody harsh roads and jolts. Dehumidified heating at this altitude is very handy during Winter. Yes, I like to keep the engine bay minimalistic - was considering an FE2T conversion but with the distributor at 15 degrees on 100RON fuel it has quite a bit of kick (tops out at 190), and the carb works a treat except on very cold mornings. Fuel consumption is 7.6L/100KM that I feel is extremely reasonable.

Yes it does looks very clean i like it. I had exactly the same car, but a hatch tho. yellow interior, wow. right there. i think i have seen only a few pics of that colour and i didnt think they was original. The silver bullet i have had @ round 170klms somewhere between here and ban ban springs and along the central east coast..lol..carb'd of course using 91 unleaded (low grade preimium)(mine pings like a ddos attack on that ethonol shit) but as for the green machine (turbo) so far, not that ive tried, but ive had it at 180-190klms @ like 2000-3000rpm i think(not sure on that) in 5th using only quart to half throttle (same 91 unleaded), still had lots more pull but i just get nervous cos the roads round here shoot you off into paddocks if your not carefull..lol (heard a few stories) the only reason i never kept the white hatch was cos it wasnt the model (series) that i wanted, i love series 3 GC's and it was a series 1 like yours, They still a very nice ol skool 626 imo.

Yes it does looks very clean i like it. I had exactly the same car, but a hatch tho. yellow interior, wow. right there. i think i have seen only a few pics of that colour and i didnt think they was original. The silver bullet i have had @ round 170klms somewhere between here and ban ban springs and along the central east coast..lol..carb'd of course using 91 unleaded (low grade preimium)(mine pings like a ddos attack on that ethonol shit) but as for the green machine (turbo) so far, not that ive tried, but ive had it at 180-190klms @ like 2000-3000rpm i think(not sure on that) in 5th using only quart to half throttle (same 91 unleaded), still had lots more pull but i just get nervous cos the roads round here shoot you off into paddocks if your not carefull..lol (heard a few stories) the only reason i never kept the white hatch was cos it wasnt the model (series) that i wanted, i love series 3 GC's and it was a series 1 like yours, They still a very nice ol skool 626 imo.

Tank paradoxically does better on E10 - but only premium E10, not the standard 95RON stuff. The carb I suspect is tuned rich so the extra oxygen wouldn't hurt, and the outer two plugs come out looking perfect (inner two ever so slightly rich, I'm assuming that's good). Also I work at just under a kilometre above sea level. Yes I think your RPMs are off a bit LOL - Tank sits on 2400RPM in 5th @100KM/h, 5000RPM @ 190KM/h. As for decent, straight roads around here? Two words for you - Missen Flat :biggrin:

As for the colour of the interior - just showed the missus - yes her car was that tan colour, but she claims with more of a yellow hue. Hmm...

Are you sure its 2400rpm at 100km/h ?

I have a spreadsheet I use to work out gear ratios, and I plugged your numbers into it and if the car has a standard gearbox in it; it should be doing 2640rpm @ 100km/h. This makes sense as your other numbers of 5000rpm@190km/h works out with the standard garbox ratio.

You could achieve 2381rpm@100km/h if you used a 5th gear set from a non turbo 2.2L GD.

BTW that "light tan" interior is from my diesel GC, and I always thought that was only matched with the green metallic (mine) or red paint. I had a sliver sedan with the maroon, but I have never seen silver matched with light tan. Personally I hate light tan. My favourite interior colour is black but the only GC models that had this interior colour also had yellow paint. I had a coupe in this colour set. IMO black interiors would have worked with silver, white and green metallic paint....I dunno what the Mazda designers were thinking...I spose it was the 80s after all.

Absolutely chief - I drive 120KM each way to work, and that's what the tacho is stuck on 90% of the way when sitting on 100 :)

You could achieve 2381rpm@100km/h if you used a 5th gear set from a non turbo 2.2L GD.

I think the cost and effort for minimal gain in my case wouldn't make an economic case... if the box died on the other hand...

BTW that "light tan" interior is from my diesel GC, and I always thought that was only matched with the green metallic (mine) or red paint. I had a sliver sedan with the maroon, but I have never seen silver matched with light tan. Personally I hate light tan. My favourite interior colour is black but the only GC models that had this interior colour also had yellow paint. I had a coupe in this colour set. IMO black interiors would have worked with silver, white and green metallic paint....I dunno what the Mazda designers were thinking...I spose it was the 80s after all.

Missus says her coupe was gold in colour with that interior - thinking the 80s styling as a hangover from the 70s may have been responsible!

lol.. no not sure cos i was concentrating on the road.....like cecil plains rd..lol i think the tach was round 2500 lets say cos i know it was under 3000rpm and over 2300rpm definately doing 180klm, My first gear i call it the "try catch me if you can gear" its ratio is long as(most G box's are), i change into second at 50-55klm @ 3500rpm-4000rpm maybe, if i flatten her tho she screams maybe 5-10klm more but i have only done that once dont like reving the green machine over 4000rpm just cos it doesnt need that treatment being a turbo, I will have to road test her again, when i get my licence back..lol,(no it wasnt for speeding) so i am finishing up the turbo conversion on the silver bullet this week and next so im not that bored... I have same interior tan/yellowish, i dont mind it as i had been looking at maroon interior for 3-4yrs on the silver bullet so i welcomed it with the green machine....silver exterior and tan interior...that would look funny wouldnt it? like the color matching is off by about the size of a small country in difference,lol i have never seen a silver GC with tan interior, most silver GC's ive seen all had maroon interior matched to them i only seen tan interior on white, green and some red GC's maybe a blue GC also but im not a mazda wiki i could be wrong/half right.

Absolutely chief - I drive 120KM each way to work, and that's what the tacho is stuck on 90% of the way when sitting on 100 :)

I think there is something not right with your tacho or speedo, or maybe both.

if you're doing 2400rpm in 5th at 100km/h then you'd be doing 200km/h at 4800rpm. Or put around the other way if you're doing 5000rpm at 190km/h then you'd be doing 2500rpm at 95km/h. The speedo and tacho are connected together in a manual gearbox car. Unless you clutch is slipping one of the figures is wrong.

Unless your gearbox has been modified, the stock gearbox results in 2600-2700rpm at 100km/h. I've had 5 GCs and this was the case with all of them except the one that had an F8 gearbox in it.

So I would say your either not doing 100km/h at 2400rpm or your not doing 2400rpm at 100km/h...it's hard to say whether the tacho or speedo isnt working properly.

I would guess the speedo, Its only a guess. The thing that makes me think that. I have never got close to 7.6L/100km on the highway. 8s were as good as any of mine with carbs would do in ideal conditions, i.e. flat roads constant speeds 100km/h or less.

I think there is something not right with your tacho or speedo, or maybe both.

if you're doing 2400rpm in 5th at 100km/h then you'd be doing 200km/h at 4800rpm. Or put around the other way if you're doing 5000rpm at 190km/h then you'd be doing 2500rpm at 95km/h. The speedo and tacho are connected together in a manual gearbox car. Unless you clutch is slipping one of the figures is wrong.

OK, well on the way to work this morning I paid close attention to the tacho - you could possibly say 2450RPM, but not 2500 - was a blip under the mark. The other issue that could be compounding it is the variable idle? (always steady, but sometimes pull up and it's at 750, sometimes 900, other times anywhere inbetween). The 5000 reading was a split second glance down (for obvious reasons) so it may have been out by a few hundred RPM.

Unless your gearbox has been modified, the stock gearbox results in 2600-2700rpm at 100km/h. I've had 5 GCs and this was the case with all of them except the one that had an F8 gearbox in it.

So I would say your either not doing 100km/h at 2400rpm or your not doing 2400rpm at 100km/h...it's hard to say whether the tacho or speedo isnt working properly.

I got pinged for doing 115 in an overtaking lane not so long ago, and when I glanced down the speedo was sitting right on 115 - asked to see the calibration record for the radar which I think pissed the cop off :biggrin:

I would guess the speedo, Its only a guess. The thing that makes me think that. I have never got close to 7.6L/100km on the highway. 8s were as good as any of mine with carbs would do in ideal conditions, i.e. flat roads constant speeds 100km/h or less.

Mine seems to vary according to fuel and timing. If I do a trip around Brisbane on regular roads, economy drops to 10L/100. If I ditch the 100RON E10 and 15 degrees on the distributor for 91RON ULP and stock 6 degrees - around town I'm up to 11.8L/100 and 9.0L/100 on the highway.

Hmm....ok

Sounds like your speedo might be accurate, but the tacho might not be.

For the record my long term fuel economy record in the manual carb GCs was 10.5L/100km around town and 8.5L/100km highway, and I dont drive slowly. Firm acceleration all the time and the speed limit at least on the highway. Here in NSW few people would ever get booked for 115 in a 110 zone, there is always some lunatic doing much more than that to draw the attention from the coppers.

I never used 91RON in any of my cars except my GC with the temporary F6 which had low compression and seemed happy with it even with 20 deg BTDC static advance. Ironically with the F6 in the car the fuel economy went out to 11.0L/100km around town and 9.5L/100km on the highway. I dont know why anyone would bother with having a smaller engine in their car after that experience.

Maybe the low compression was ruining the economy, but my experience in other under engined cars makes me think not.

Hmm....ok

Sounds like your speedo might be accurate, but the tacho might not be.

I was thinking that. For the record, right on 2500RPM is 105KM/h.

For the record my long term fuel economy record in the manual carb GCs was 10.5L/100km around town and 8.5L/100km highway, and I dont drive slowly. Firm acceleration all the time and the speed limit at least on the highway.

My best is 7.3 highway, hardly ever see city these days, bar a small pass through Warwick on the way to work and the odd trip to Toowoomba. There's a significant elevation change on the way to and from work, but my style is no more acceleration than required (don't accelerate like a granny, don't floor it unnecessarily either). A significant portion of the time I'm just tickling the throttle open (such as on the downward slope on the way home, my load jet is tapping its foot going "WELL???") :P

Here in NSW few people would ever get booked for 115 in a 110 zone, there is always some lunatic doing much more than that to draw the attention from the coppers.

Ahh yes - except the speed limit in QLD is 100. The only two motorways with 110 are the M1 to the Gold Coast and the Bruce Highway from Caboolture to Yandina. On a highway with few cars at 7:10AM on a Tuesday morning - makes poor old Tank a target (maybe I should fit a turret?) :w00t:

I never used 91RON in any of my cars except my GC with the temporary F6 which had low compression and seemed happy with it even with 20 deg BTDC static advance. Ironically with the F6 in the car the fuel economy went out to 11.0L/100km around town and 9.5L/100km on the highway. I dont know why anyone would bother with having a smaller engine in their car after that experience.

Maybe the low compression was ruining the economy, but my experience in other under engined cars makes me think not.

Yes, there's a few things I can't explain with power and economy. But they're mainly positive, so not complaining.

What the hell - another photo. Tank has settled into his new home well. Country car now! This is a stereotypical landscape around here at present, but with a looming frost it will likely be 24/7 harvesting over the next few days. Interestingly, that field of sorghum will go to the ethanol distillery and back into Tank :smile:

post-31636-0-20472700-1368511562_thumb.j

Silver bullet is in the operating theater getting a fair bit of surgery done to her...gonna start a thread on it soon with pics...and post the finished product pics here too.

Silver bullet is in the operating theater getting a fair bit of surgery done to her...gonna start a thread on it soon with pics...and post the finished product pics here too.

Will be very interested to hear your log :)

Any updates mate? :smile:

Yea its mostly done all i have left is the motor to put in after i gasket the sump and new water pump etc.. been busy with other jobs so i havnt had much time, or money for that matter but yea its coming along nice so far whats been done is the dash, dash loom, engine bay loom, sub frame, shifter linkages, baffled fuel tank(i made it confused lol) and fuel neck, ecu loom and ecu bolt up, hydrulic clutch setup,.... i have some pics but im not sure as how many i can have on my account and i dont have any image site to lean on so i will see how that goes after im finished.

Hopefully I see it buzzing around town soon :smile:

I'm looking at a "head job" :lol: coming up soon... the valve stem seals are shot, but the slow oil leak around the HG is slowly becoming more of an issue. No migration into the coolant yet, but of course don't want that to happen :smile:

Still moovin slowly couldnt risk the unfactory ideal so i put in the right turbo fuel lines on to match from front to back a factory turbo like my green machine, little details like that is where im at..stereo and other goin in also....maybe by the eoy it might be finished but no real rush it will be robbing people of their dreamz soon enough....muha ha ha haar!... lorllaep (laugh out really loud like an evil pirate)

Motor is in finally, had to do a reverse job as i have no engine stand only a crane so i put the motor in an will be doin water pump and timing whilst its in there(done it b4), i will only do what needs doing unless otherwise, gear linkages are next so as to position the shifter housing correctly then i bolt it up and finish the covers for the centre console, i have photos of the whole process almost from stock to turbo i am only missing a few things now which wont impact on the starting or driving part of the car only the details of it.after all that i need to revamp my sunbeam silver paintwork maybe.