Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
dieselkiller

Randomly Not Starting

this is driving me crazy! every 6-8 weeks my gfs 626 wont start. could be hot, cold, driven for an hour or 5 min. by the time i get here i turn the key and it starts. trying to explain to her that taking it to a mechanic is a waste since it will work when you get it there. im guessing starter back to ignition switch. only time its done anything to me as far as starting is i have turned the key and there was a sec delay before it started cranking over... relay? solenoid? starter relay?

Could be the starter. People have had success hitting them with a big wrench or hammer to get them going. Could also be loose wiring to the starter or something going on with the fuel pressure. That's not to say it couldn't be a million other things but I'd start there. Intermittent issues are very hard for us to help with across the internet. If you could take some video when it acts up it might be helpful.

sorry should have been more descriptive. she turns the key and nothing happens. all the lights come on but no cranking, so im doubting its a fuel pressure issue. all wires have been checked for tightness and wear.

Sounds like the starter or starter solenoid. The starter is directly below the intake manifold. It's fairly big. Have her try to start the car and see if you can hear the click of the starter solenoid trying to engage. If not then likely a bad solenoid but good starter. If you do hear a click then probably a good solenoid but bad starter. You'll want to take some readings though just to be sure you'll need to put the car on jacks, get under there, and backprobe the solenoid harness pins. Do a search there are topics around here that have that diagnostic process around here somewhere.

This sounds like the problem I had after fixing the intake manifold gasket.

I suppose when the key is turned all you get is a maddening silence? I would guess it is a bad connection with the wire going to the solenoid on top of the starter. If that is not making good contact you won't even get a click when you go to start it. I squirt some WD-40 on it. Probably not a brilliant fix, but it worked.

I would get a trustworthy mechanic to see if the solenoid wire has a loose connector and do something about it. It shouldn't cost a lot.

Btw, you can find my scenario listed under 'Won't Crank, Completely Silent' in this forum if you want to look it up.

looked at that too. didnt have to be present at non-start for that. cover boot in tact, not even any major dirt buildup or discoloration on wiring or connections. still leaning toward starter replacement(w/solenoid). keep the scenarios and suggestions coming though. thx

Have the battery tested? Terminal corrosion might cause a random issue like that but would be more likely due to movement to suddenly die and lose all power while driving. Worth looking into. Same could be said for over tightend belts. If the belt tension is too tight the starter would have to work harder to crank. Some more ideas for you. :)

Loose PCM harness... If I remember correctly it happened to a member this past summer. It's under the cupholder and forward a little bit. Looks like a computer hard drive. Also you could try resetting the ECU and maybe that will help with the ECT readings. Stop making my brain reach so far. :) Good stuff.

greeting all, I am new here, it is my first post. my English is not good enough so I am sorry if any wrong order.

to check starter and solenoid are good, you can use one meter long wire, cut both end insulation and bundle one end to the starter solenoid terminal. touch the other end to the positive pole of the battery. if the engine crank, the solenoid and starter are good. it is danger, so you have to use safety glass sometimes spark on the wire,

That will work if the ignition circuit is faulty. If the starter is having an engagement issue it might not bring the issue to light. It's something to try but it's not a magic bullet in the diagnostic process. Good suggestion though.

I'm sorry for bringing this post back from the dead, but my 626 had very similar symptoms. Hell it worked fine for 2 months, then it started sounding like it barely wanted to turn over. I took the car to autozone to have them test the battery and I tested the voltage and all was good. I took a chance and bought a reman starter from advance online(slickdeals.net has some great coupons I saved 35 bucks plus the core return, started cost me 60 bucks). Once I changed the starter, the car hasn't had any problems starting. It starts up quick too!

I have a 1999 626 2.0 4cyl manual trans. with 235K miles. Its in sweet condition until...i had it eashed and detailed today, after a good rain, and drove 5 miles back to work. It sat for 3 more hours. It started without issue as always and when I pulled up to my house I turned it off. NOW, I went back out to start it and it clicks ONCE. Only one click. No turn. No repetitive clicking. Just one click. Battery reads full. Dash cluster ia fine. Just one cli k. No turn. Help!

On 9/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, Seraphim said:

I have a 1999 626 2.0 4cyl manual trans. with 235K miles. Its in sweet condition until...i had it eashed and detailed today, after a good rain, and drove 5 miles back to work. It sat for 3 more hours. It started without issue as always and when I pulled up to my house I turned it off. NOW, I went back out to start it and it clicks ONCE. Only one click. No turn. No repetitive clicking. Just one click. Battery reads full. Dash cluster ia fine. Just one cli k. No turn. Help!

I have the same issue and am positive it is the starter. That being said, what did you discover about your issue?