Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

Mazda626.net Cdn Content Distribution Network Online!

So in some fantastic news, our CDN is officially online. It will take you anywhere between 24-48 hours to see the change.

What is a CDN, see how it works in an infographic

Our CDN: Cloudflare.com

Our Server Edge Network

CDN-Map_mazda626net.png

What it means: A faster website for everyone!

How to tell if your seeing the CDN version of the site?

For windows

start --> cmd --> then type without quotes "ping mazda626.net"

For mac

go to terminal and type without quotes "ping mazda626.net"

if it returns any ip value other than 216.172.165.112 for an IP, congrats your on our CDN. Enjoy new shpeeds! Some new MazdaShpeeds!

If your not on the CDN and your eager to try it out; you can clear your DNS cache by doing the following:

For windows

start --> cmd --> then type without quotes "ipconfig /flushdns"

For mac

go to terminal and type without quotes "dscacheutil -flushcache"

to see if it worked repeat the ping procedure!

Like i said it could take 24-48 hours but for most should be within 12-24 hours.

Btw since we went all in we might have a few kinks to work out, so if you have/notice any problems with the site not working, drop a line here and well troubleshoot it!

• Like 1

jerk, I'm still not seeing it yet! lol, awesome stitch by the way, love the pirate hat!

Also even more good news our Dedicated server just got put online! It'll probably take 3 days - 7 days of testing before we try to get it online :biggrin: . I have a bunch of testing to do :p34fh:

Average of 14ms ping here in Arlington, VA, with Business Comcast.

So, how does this affect the Google ranking if at all?

Google and other search engines might thank us for the better speeds and caching with even more visits. It's kinda like when you bust your ass at work all the time and your boss thinks that's your regular level of productivity and so assigns you even more work to do. Google might thank us by spidering the site even harder. I have no idea just a guess. That should improve ranking though since they will be able to recache the site faster and offer relevant search results. To be honest though, I've noticed forum topics I post show up in google hours later, sometimes minutes later. Kinda creepy. I haven't seen the stats but I'd imagine the bots are nailing the site on a non-stop basis because we have a ton of new content every single day.

@xeno we now know due to your ridiculusly low ping that the server in DC is working quite well.

Good points DJ, I think we will get some benefit in that area. But I don't think we will see anything dramatic, better bonuses for user experience. We might get a tad higher ranking because the site is faster/more optimized though.

My main two hopes for what we will get out of the CDN are:

1. It makes everyones experience better, especially those who are located far from our main server in the US.

2. Because of the more appealing experience I hope we will gain more members converting from guests, into regulars, which should help the knowledge base we have here continue to grow.

14ms is ridiculously good,

Both My cable provider metrocast, and where i work still haven't updated yet. So I haven't gotten o see the joys of the CDN yet :(

actually I take it back, mine just went live. I'm pinging 10ms from work.

I'm definitely noticing quicker page loads, and very minimal delay now between clicks.

So a little proof that this isn't imaginary unicorn dust fueled horsepower.

Before:

img-324586-1-voe2P.png

After:

img-324586-2-QUwrJ.png

I didn't check my speeds prior but according to that I should be doing better. 27ms in Florida? I start out at 32ms from my first hop so maybe it's just my ISP. Still getting 42ms, that's about the best I'm gonna get but that's still damn fast. My personal sites hosted in Chicago gets 86ms and Houston gets 50ms. Doing 42ms when my first hop is 32ms is pretty good.

Looking at that chart you can tell there are servers hosting the site locally all around the world. San Francisco, Chicago, France, Japan, Netherlands, and so on. That's really amazing stuff. When you see a ping of 0.3 that's just mind blowing. It's like the server is in the same room and running blazing fast as where the measurement was taken from. My lan doesn't even have that kind of low latency.

Superb job. Just absolutely amazing stuff. Thank you for doing this.

I actually emailed cloudflare asking if we could help out our 6% of the australian/new zealanders visitors, so well see if they get a node running in australia (which would be awesome).

Me thinks there was a problem today... Site was down from about 1am to 1pm. Almost exactly 12 hours of downtime. What happened?

I had no idea what to do with myself this morning. Haven't seen the website down this long in a while especially after the CDN was supposed to fix all that. What good is a CDN if it fails? Might as well host the site from my basement since a CDN failing negates the purpose of the CDN in the first place. I know the admins work hard to keep the site running so it's not for lack of trying. At least if it's scheduled and people know of maintenance before it happens it makes things easier to digest instead of the mystery of why your favorite site is dead to the world. Unscheduled issues suck. :(

Yeah our current host basically screwed up our billing bad, They still owe us 50 bucks back. So well see if I can get it from them.

In better news, the dedi is fully setup. Just going to test out the development site today! So we could be on the new server as soon as friday.

Well, I'm gunna get them to paypal me the money back. But if all goes according to planned for the next bill well only be paying a different company for the shiny new dedicated server :)