Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

Mazda626.net To Be Moved To A Brand New Dedicated Server.

So I'm sitting here on my lunch break, and I just wanted to shoot you all a great little announcement. As you know we moved servers already once this year, and well be moving again verryyy soon (possibly next week soon). We were originally going to move to "the cloud" but we found an even better deal and we will have our own dedicated server :) .

Specs:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2 Ghz (8 logical processing cores)

8 GB DDR3 ECC 1333 Memory

2 x 1000 GB SATA Hard Drive (In raid-1 Mirrored configuration)

1 Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth

5 IP Addresses

Dedicated IPMI (reboot, KVM and OS reloads)

Private network included

Its only costing us slightly more than what were paying for our current 1.25gb setup to the dedicated server listed above! Not too shabby eh? We now have even more room for future growth now.

FYI current specs (roughly the same price)

Virtual Private Server

1.13 Ghz CPU (1 logical processing core)

768 MB DDR3 ECC Ram

30GB Disk Space

??? Network Speed

2 IP Addresses

raw processing power were going from 1.13Ghz to a combined 25.6 Ghz

And Ram more than 8x the current amount. Chances are we won't be able to use all this power immediately, but we now have the mazda furai of servers!

o god. so many specs i have no clue what there are. but they sound so spiffy! but im sure all that means more awesomeness in the future. :)

from the specs i see we wont have too many connection issues, sounds nice makes me wanna get me one of those to store all my por.....erm family photos.

Dedicated servers aren't for storage. They cost way too much. I'm not even going to ask what an 8 core dedicated server costs per month because it would just make me feel bad for not contributing monetarily.

Prince, it's the difference between a KLZE MX-6 to a Nissan GTR. The old server was competently quick. The new server is way faster but still not top of the line. A Furai type of server would run 15k rpm drives or SSD plus a ridiculous amount of EEC RAM and allow for multiple TB's of storage. To say the new server is a GTR is much better comparison.

Doesn't matter what kind of car (computer) you have though as the hops (roads) between cities have different congestion rates and your speeds will vary depending on where you are located and how efficient the dns servers (traffic lights) of your ISP is. One nice thing about a high performance server like that is; your ISP is more likely to cause your slow page loads on the website than anything else now.

The new server specs are extremely impressive. I'm impressed. Can I lick the box?

Dedicated servers aren't for storage. They cost way too much. I'm not even going to ask what an 8 core dedicated server costs per month because it would just make me feel bad for not contributing monetarily.

Prince, it's the difference between a KLZE MX-6 to a Nissan GTR. The old server was competently quick. The new server is way faster but still not top of the line. A Furai type of server would run 15k rpm drives or SSD plus a ridiculous amount of EEC RAM and allow for multiple TB's of storage. To say the new server is a GTR is much better comparison.

Doesn't matter what kind of car (computer) you have though as the hops (roads) between cities have different congestion rates and your speeds will vary depending on where you are located and how efficient the dns servers (traffic lights) of your ISP is. One nice thing about a high performance server like that is; your ISP is more likely to cause your slow page loads on the website than anything else now.

The new server specs are extremely impressive. I'm impressed. Can I lick the box?

Well don't feel bad for contributing directly with money, every member contributes indirectly by posting questions/answer/guides/tutorisls thats what keeps this site going because ultimately, thats what fuels our advertising income, which is all reinvested into the site/server. Whether its through purchasing themes, custom addons, upgrades, new servers, stickers, etc. Even better we have lots of plans coming to the server in the next 6 months! So it should be great.

Also the GT-R is a much better comparison, they said "call for custom quote" for SSD's, so I did and we will find out how much the furai costs :P

Prince, it's the difference between a KLZE MX-6 to a Nissan GTR.

I don't remember commenting on this :P

This thing is gonna rip. I remember being blown away about 8 years ago when we got a new family computer, it was a 3.2GHz P4 with HT and 1gb of ram, lol. It was a rocket sled at the time, and my parents are sill using it...

One of my friends built a gaming computer recently that ran him around 1100$ and the amount of power he got with that blew me away. He's running some new AMD chip with 6 cores and 16gb of ram. The whole thing is being held up by the hard drive, though, as he refuses to use SSD's. I can't remember what kind of grahpics car he's got.

SSD's are still unproven as their reliability even within the exact same model can vary due to differences within a particular batch. Throw in poor quality control and you've got many SSD's that are DOA or die within a week without ever reaching max potential. SSD's are basically just tons of RAM put into hard drive form. For a while retailers were confused as to where to categorize them; RAM or Hard Drives. Either 15K rpm or SSD... the faster they are the less reliable. But my oh my while they are working they can be astonishing to use. My brother built an SSD computer recently that is the fastest computer I've seen. It's in the top 10% of machines according to steam survey. The faster all of our normal user computers get... the faster the servers have to be in order to handle the influx of data streams. Without kick ass servers the internet would not get faster but slower due to the increase in internet usage over the years. Server technology is getting better too.

I could go on for days about this kind of stuff and it's a car forum so I'll try not to geek out too much on everyone. I believe the admins said they wanted to revamp the cache system. I think the current one works fine but let's say they do make an improved one and in combination with the new server whewie that box is going to each page gens for breakfast.

I agree about SSD's. I have seen a video where they had 30 or so of them setup with RAID and it was extremely fast. At the time, they spent probably close to $15k on the drives though. I'd stick with normal SCSI or SATA HDDs for now.

We definitely do want to tweak the cache system. Heck, we may even use a CDN (Content Delivery Network) at some point, but not for a while.

i think i now know how people feel when they come to a car forum for there 1st time without knowing much about cars. all these terms have me blank faced. lol

Cages are usually for HIPPA requirements in case anyone was wondering. Medical data has more stringent requirements than just about anything else other than DoD standards and you're not going to find DoD related data in a co-lo farm. Well at least we know there's room to expand lol, good lord.

MonoxideChild, great perspective. Now you know what it feels like and can better help others that come here admitting to knowing nothing about cars. Didn't think of that. After a while it's easy to forget that there are people out there who don't even know what or where the fuse box is. As long as they are willing to learn there is always someone willing to teach.

SSD's (solid state drives) are much faster than conventional mechanical hard drives. Realistically, about 4x faster depending on the brand, model, batch, and features. I've seen some SSD benchmarks that are up 32x faster than mechanical drives in real world tests. That doesn't mean you'll receive data from the website 4x or 32x faster though. You probably won't notice any speed difference. Where the server will shine is in how many people it can effectively serve at the same time. That amount will go through the roof. Since the site has had a few hiccups in the past it's not a bad idea to upgrade it. The site was fine most of the time but there were those times that it kind of struggled to keep up. The new server won't struggle, in fact it should be capable of much more than we're using it for.

DJdevon is spot on if we allocate 8 cores using Apache we should be able to fulfill well over 2,000 unique requests per second without counting any kind of caching taking place, which is pretty crazy.

Also Xeno is right too we will definitely be jumping on a CDN, possibly before we even move to the new server :). A Content Delivery network will distribute our static content, images, files, etc that dont change often. And place them around the world and serve them to you as if they were coming from our site. This removes the amount of time it takes for data to get to your computer, making webpages load much quicker, especially if you live outside the U.S. (~30% of our visitors are not from the US). If you've ever connected to an website located in Asia, you definitely feel slowness, and a CDN helps reduce that to a minimum.

All in all pretty awesome stuff, and I'm loving every minute of working with this site/community because for a living I'm a hybrid between a Programmer, Designer, Server Admin, and Business Marketing guy. I don't have crazy skills in any one of them, but every day I'm learning tons more on how to do each types of those jobs better and more efficiently.

On another note I'm pretty psyched to be working on a dedicated server, I've never been able to have this kinda of power for a server to play with! I mean its not much different from smaller slices of servers (VPS's), but its bigger, better, faster, and stronger!

(~30% of our visitors are not from the US)

That's just Zepticon hitting refresh a million times. :P

If we allocate 8 cores using Apache we should be able to fulfill well over 2,000 unique requests per second without counting any kind of caching taking place, which is pretty crazy.

That's ridiculous. I giggled.

oh btw so according to benchmarks my numbers are off: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1106243-IV-20110624126

Its not 2,000 requests per second thats 30,000. ohmy.png

The other thing I'm looking into still is getting SSD's chances are we won't be able to get them initially, but if the price is right we definitely will because it'll mean better/faster pageloads.

oh btw so according to benchmarks my numbers are off: http://openbenchmark...-IV-20110624126

Its not 2,000 requests per second thats 30,000. ohmy.png

The other thing I'm looking into still is getting SSD's chances are we won't be able to get them initially, but if the price is right we definitely will because it'll mean better/faster pageloads.

Thats really gonna make a difference on my 3G modem! ohmy.png

as far as server speed upgrade zepticon will probably not notice that much. But where he will notice a difference with is the Content Delivery Network. Zepticon you should notice a considerable difference in both loading images and the actual site. :), because a great deal of that will actually be loading from servers closer to your home in Europe instead of coming from across the pond in the united states. It should be significantly faster, so knock off a solid 50-60ms in response time for each and every image(request), and lots of images make up this site, thats for sure.

The CDN should benefit anyone as long as don't live near our new server. (Florida) Come to think of it, that means djdevon is going to experience mazda626.net faster than any of us since he practically lives right next door to the upcoming dedicated server.

As we will now have content distributed from multiple server centers in the east/west coast of the US, Europe, and Asia.

Also faster server processor, ram, and lower overall latency should mean it will lower any other server side latency that existed before, so hopefully making it even faster.

CDN-Map_mazda626net.png

Just FYI our new server lives in Jacksonville, Florida (the little star). So the closer you are to Jacksonville the quicker the site will be.

Second to that the closer you are to the green dots, the faster it will be for you too!

More Green dots are most likely coming soon too!

post-15320-0-74637100-1318891771_thumb.p

NDM is there some kind of geo-cluster thing going on there? I know a lot of fortune 500 companies use that but I've never seen that done for a forum. You would have to have replicant servers in multiple co-location servers around the globe. That sounds way overkill so maybe I'm misunderstanding how that's going to work. That's really awesome if we can boost speeds for our European and Asian friends no matter by how much. :)

img-324412-1-Stitch_Approves.jpg

Florida! Oh how nice for me! Yey! I've got a great connection so I really don't need the extra speed. If the site ever goes down I can go into the colo center and beat some geeks with my monkey wrench. :P Florida is usually not a good place to host websites because of these pesky little inconveniences called HURRICANES. I usually do my colo out of Chicago or Houston. 1 because they don't have many natural disasters and 2 because they are more centrally located to both east and west coast.