1987 Mazda 626 Engine Swap Questions?

Ok so my roommate has a 1987 Mazda 626, we cant find shit for aftermarket parts for the engine. Or any turbos to upgrade to. So I was wondering if anyone has ever put a Mazda 2.5L V6 KL03 or KLZE engine in a old school 626 GT that comes stock with the 2.0L turbocharged.

We still plan on keeping the car turboed but would prefer the kl engine if possible. I dont know shit about these old school 626 cars. I only know the 93-97 probe gt/mazda mx6 cars.

Any info on this would be a big help.

I know i would have to swap the trans, engine, computer, axles, but not sure what all would have to be put in the car to work. I have a 93 PGT right now that if we decide to do the swap id use my car for the engine since im looking for a 95-97 PGT. but if its not physically able because the engine bay is to cramped or something yeah.

is there any site to get aftermarket parts for a 1987 Mazda 626 GT turbocharged.

?????????????????????

most parts that fit the 89-92's either fit, or can be adapted to the older pre 87 cars also. but a KL swap is def a possibility also. its never been done with a pre 87. but has been done to a 89pgt which engine bay and lay out wise is very similar to the 626. so id say its def possible. and dont worry about room./ the festiva guys fit the KL into there engine bay... the 626 has plenty of room

I've seen 2 Festiva's with ZE's. They almost look like the engine is squished in there like a cartoon character jumped up and down to make it fit. I'd love to see an older Mazda especially older 626 run it but how would it play with the electronics? Highly doubt you could modify it to work with a carb. You'd have to swap in all the modern electronic engine management stuff too. CPU, PCM, and ECU. Wiring would be a chore. Might be better to go with a stand alone engine management system.

if i remember right the cars not carb. its fuel injected already and has the computer and electronics. just not sure if you would have to take all those out and run all new ones. also i think his 626 has the adjustable suspension.

also is there any aftermarket body parts for those cars. cause we'd like to shave some weight if possible. specially if we add a turboed kl motor.

you would need to swap all the KL wiring in also along with the ecu. ECU/PCM/CPU are all the same thing, just a different word to describe it. so thats not an issue at all. good thing is you have a 93pgt, so its the simplest of wiring to deal with, and easiest to use as a basis for a swap. ;)

id say its def possible. FWD mazda motors are like lego's. you just need to figure out the motor mount set up. but even those are usually just a mix of other mazda mounts. there all pretty similar with slightly different spacing which works out great for swaps. it just spending the time to figure out exactly what mount you need is the hard part.

Engine mount locations might not match up but if you know someone that can weld or have a shop do it right it's a non issue. As long as you can figure out a way to mount the thing everything else would fall into place. How would drive axles match up? Is there a length to worry about with different body types? I believe Zepticon or someone else ran a dual ECU so that might be a way to keep all of your interior stuff separate from the PCM data. Would have to figure out how to convert signals for a gauge cluster too or use an existing 626 one.

if you use a 26 spine gearbox (like one off an early Mx3) then you can use the standard GC shafts, so long as you position the gearbox in the correct spot.

I am sure this has been done before, I just cant find the write up. as I remember it wasnt much of a write up anyway, it was very short on details.

with regards to the ECU, just splice a GE engine wiring harness in to a GC one. Nearly everything on a GC is mechanical or separate from the ECU harness.

^

thats the 89pgt i mentioned in my first post actually. it covers most of the basics. but his 87 is a different chassis then that probe. but they are very similar. so its a good basis. i actually helped that pgt guy figure out two of his motor mounts when he was doing the swap. :)