djdevon3

Mazda 626 Mps Concept (Drool) V2

36 posts in this topic

Mazda 626 MPS

This was to be the car that replaced the 2000-2002 model. It was never made. angry.gif

Why in all that is holy can we not BUY this car right now. WTF MAZDA? WE WANT IT!

(as long as it has oscillating vents, luxury features, and the automatic transmission isn't designed by idiotic helper monkeys)

img-321094-2-2003_Mazda_626_MPS_Concept.jpg

This would have easily been the best 626 ever made (without the stupid wing anyway).

img-321094-3-2003_Mazda_626_MPS_ConceptRear3.jpg

280hp TWIN TURBO KL-ZE. Time to get the kleenex...

img-321094-4-Mazda626MPSKLZE.jpg

Granted it's a fake concept interior but I like the extra gauges. Just wish they were in the cluster so we could double-din for a sat-nav and in car music system. Times have changed and the dash controls are uninspiring. Add LCD sat-nav, music player, and climate control system and you're back in the game. You could also digitize some of the gauge cluster so more readouts could be crammed in there. The big dials are for kids. How about something a bit more high tech as long as we'd have to keep a closer eye on the health of a twin turbo setup. OBDII can display so much more than speed, trip, gas, and oil. This is the 21st century, we can handle more data.

img-321094-5-Mazda626MPSInterior.jpg

img-321094-6-626mpsfront.jpg

img-321094-7-626mpsside1.jpg

There are more than a few places online with MPS info but I think we should dedicate at least a topic to the car and put all the information anyone could want on it right here. It's our car, we should have all the info.

2000 Mazda 626 MPS Specifications

Engine

Engine Location: Front

Drive Type: AWD

Weight: 3042 lbs | 1379.828 kg

Engine Configuration: V

Cylinders: 6

Aspiration/Induction: Turbocharged

Displacement: 2496 cc | 152.3 cu in. | 2.5 L.

Valves: 24 valves.

4 valves per cylinder.

Valvetrain: DOHC

Horsepower: 280 HP (206.08 KW) @ 6500 RPM

Torque: 289 Ft-Lbs (392 NM) @ 4000 RPM

HP to Weight Ratio: 10.9 LB / HP

HP / Liter: 112.2 BHP / Liter

Transmission

Gears: 5

Transmission: Manual

Seating Capacity : 4

Exterior

Length: 181.1 in | 4600 mm.

Width: 70.9 in | 1801 mm.

Height: 55.5 in | 1410 mm.

Wheelbase: 102.8 in | 2611 mm.

Brakes

Front Brake Size: 345.0 mm | 13.583 in.

Rear Brake Size: 315.0 mm | 12.402 in.

Tires / Wheels

Tires Front: 235/40 ZR 18

Rear: 235/40 ZR 18

The 2000 Mazda 626 MPS is powered by a Turbocharged V6 engine that displaces 2496.00 cc. It produces 280.00 HP at 6500.00 RPM and 289.00 Ft-Lbs at 4000.00 RPM. The 2000 Mazda 626 MPS measures 70.90 inches in width, 181.10 inches in length, and has a wheelbase of 102.80 inches.

1 person likes this

that car is god awful...just absolutely horrible. like a blend of all the horrible body kits for the 93-02 626.

under the hood however, looks like TITS, id lift that engine out and put in anything else.

interesting that it only makes 280hp.. I bet thats limited..be fun to see how much more boost could be run before something blew. then replace it and do it again lol.

Agree with Leev. Id make a better looking kit in my garage.

Actually, the one i got already looks better, and the one ima gonna make, is gonna look loads better than this :D

AND its gona have a ZE, but no turbo tho.

But it looks good from the side, on the orange picture, the rear is awful, and the front is a bit meh with the hood.

the front, the hood and the wing, scream EVO 7-9

its a look the the EVO itself can barley pull off. and i love the EVO lol.

the front, the hood and the wing, scream EVO 7-9

its a look the the EVO itself can barley pull off. and i love the EVO lol.

It actually looks like a evo-kit for the 626 :D

Yeah, the exterior is definitely dated, like F&F dated, lol. The interior is basically just a colorful protege interior, which I think looks nice, but it's interesting to see how the 626 and proteges seem to blend together in the crossover years. You can see the similarities here. Same gauges, even.

img-321149-1-IMG_8940.jpg

But omg that engine bay... Jeeezus.

Too bad it's so heavy. That's too much weight for this car, though it edges out the MS3 in terms of weight and power, which would be bucketloads of fun. :P

Haha Prince ya beat me to it... :lol:

I gotta admit, I did like the orange version but yeah the interior color was awful and I'm no fan of the wing either. Hmm, I'm wondering, if Mazda could twin turbo the MPS I wonder if its possible to do it on a 626, MX6 or Probe. Intuition tells me the Probe engine bay is waaay too small but what about a 626 engine bay...?

But yeah, I wet myself when I saw the MPS concept for the first time and I'm still pissed that Mazda never made it...

there have been a few TT KL's on the forums over the years. thomas knight was the 1st to do it i think. there kit was famous for killing off transmissions pretty quickly. there was also a guy in michigan with one, who famously rolled the car while his brother video taped it. (check on youtube) lol

Well it wouldn't be a 626 without a horrible automatic transmission so I think that would have been a given. The manuals though who knows. Probably the same stuff the Mazda 6 is using.

I honestly doubt that Mazda would put an automatic in a MPS. :unsure: I don't know about the US market, but they wouldn't sell a single one in Europe. Most European hot hatches of that era came with a 6-speed with some kind of LSD, and the costumers would expect no less than that.

They woud probably use the same tranny as the Ford Focus ST.

Yeah, they could never call it a performance edition with an auto. None of the Mazdaspeed variants have auto options, and I'm glad. Still, I'd want the manual to be able to hold the power two turbos could rack up, which is something that the stock 5 speed KL trans can't really do..

thats when you give Par engineering a call. if you have like $7k to spend, they can build you a bullet proof trans. dan_sac, and cityracer are both running there trans upgrades.

would be nice to adapt a newer G series from a newer mazda and use it though like the 6. there now cable shifted, and much much nicer then the older G series found in our cars stock that are solid linkage set ups.

If I had 7k to spend I'd build my own version of the MPS. Didn't know the Protege's interior was that close. I've never been in a Protege. Seems more like a Protege interior on the MPS than a 626. I wouldn't really mind as long as it keeps the oscillating vents. Maybe some chrome trim around the shifter like the ES would be nice. I like the luxury sport look much more than the RX8 signal light housing crap in the cluster. I puke every time I see that style.

thats when you give Par engineering a call. if you have like $7k to spend, they can build you a bullet proof trans.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that much.. That might limit how far I go with my build, lol. I'm always jealous of other platforms, like for example the 240sx. They want a stronger trans? Just drop in one out of a Z32 or R32-R34 and poof, 800whp? No problem. And it did not cost 7k..

img-323251-1-07.jpg

Apparently the GF 626's had auto climate control and a nice radio that we never got......

I wonder where it is today? Did it get crushed? Is it sitting in somones garage? I'm really curious! I'd really love one day for the community to take on the project of building one of these, would be really amazing IMO.

Start with a 2002 626, modify the hood, use MS on a twin-turbo KLZE, swap in the dash of a Protege (for a start), make all the custom interior trim pieces out of fiber-glass resin, paint them a nice shiny black. That would be a good start. That wood grain stuff I really dislike because it's fake. Use real wood (some Lexus parts do) or just make it plastic. I'm not against the carbon fiber heat wrap though. For some reason I still think that stuff looks good even though it's fake.

I'm really getting sick of seeing the 3 big circular gauge cluster elements. Is that all we can come up with 3 circles? That's as dumb as the 3 seashells in Demolition Man. How about 5 including the oil pressure, vacuum pressure, or whatever else floats their boat. Every car is just about the same when it comes to the gauge cluster. I think it could be an area to display a lot of information in a pleasant manner. Gauge clusters still look 1990's in 2010. Someday I'm going to design my own digital dash that puts every single gauge cluster ever made to shame. Tired of this kindergarten gauge cluster designed for teenage girls with no attention span. If people had more information to base car health on then maybe people would take more interest in keeping their cars on the road. Personalize them with names and let them literally talk to you. This kind of stuff should have happened 10 years ago. Someday I'll get my car to talk to me.

It's probably sitting in a storage shed in Japan somewhere.