Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
dandy

Plausability Of A 3 Cyl Metro Engine Swap

So I am thinking about the possibility of swapping in a 3 cyl chevy metro engine into my 95 4cyl atx. I would want to also swap the metro 5 speed manual with the motor and get rid of that terrible atx. I was hoping to be able to get much better gas mileage out of the little car, and I could care less about performance as long as it is drivable. I figure I could get upwards of 40mpg with the swap. Does anyone think it would be a big time trouble swap? I have found an engine/trans for $400! If I can get the rest of the work done for about $600-$1100 then it would only take me about 277-416 gallons of gas saved to pay for the swap, then it's all butter. What do you folks think about htis wacky nonsense. Im no purist obviously, who cares :P

heres my 2c,

tq and hp = mpg, to a certain point

vehicle weight = mpg factor

the 4cyl 2.0 is under powered for sure, BUT it can move the car fairly well, and get semi decent mpg..17-25 i think?

a 3cyl metro gets fantastic mpg BECAUSE the car it has to move is verry light.

now the 3cyl, in the 2nd gen 626, would struggle, like prince mentioned, to move the car..

on the gas to move the car = less mpg than expected.

its all about weight and torque.

They are right about the problems with the weight of a geo metro v a 626. Its probably 600 lbs- a ton difference. The 3 cylinder engines barely do enough to move the geo @ 55 mph, and won't carry 55 mph on any decent hill.

Other things to think about is your driveaxels, will the 626 axels work in the 3cyl tranny? I'm not sure who makes that, I'm guessing its a B series mazda like my 4cyl aspire, but I could be wrong.. if the 626 axels don't work, I'm assuming the b series axels won't be long enough to reach the steering knuckles, and if they are will they fit in the hubs/bearings correctly? so you have to figure out what to do, find axels from a different make/model that will fit correctly or try to mix/match half shafts.. another thing to keep in mind is if you mix/match they are still going to need to be appropriate length or your toe/camber will be off, causing more front end issues you than you're going to want to deal with.

Also, seeing as its a different manufacturer, fabbing up custom motor mounts and trying to rework the ECM wiring is going to be a nightmare, your current ECM will need replaced with the one for the 3cyl..

If your doing the work yourself, its doable, I'm sure, anything is..given the right tools and knowledge.

If your having a shop do the work, they're gonna hit you with an added charge for every little snag they come across, after they quote you thousands of dollars just to attempt the swap. So whatever first number they give you, multiply by 2 and *if your lucky that will be the real cost, possibly more. With the potential of them finally comming to you saying they can't complete the project after you've invested thousands.

The end result won't be worth the means of obtaining it in my opinion either way.

Exactly. I didn't want to get into it, so I left it simple, lol. That's why sometimes you'll see a midsize truck get better mileage with a bigger engine. It doesn't make sense at first, but that big engine won't ever have to strain to move the truck around town or whatever.

I get 28-29 city and 32-ish highway, so I don't really see a need for improvement, personally. I don't drive much, either.

its all about weight and torque.

That's basically how I think about it now. Torque is for towing, because it's basically a weight negator. The more torque you have, the more weight you can move easily.

The Metro's engine can barely pull the weight of the Metro. It would probably pull the 626 but as others have eluded to it won't be for the better. Interesting idea and thanks for sharing it with us. It's all speculation though unless someone bothers to crunch the real numbers which I'm guessing no one will.

i've proved it before, I've had exactly the same model of car with 4 different engines.

GC model 626 is the car

The fuel economy of the 1.6L gas manual was the worst is you have to drive in the inefficiency zone to pull a 1 ton car around.

The fuel economy of the 2.0L gas manual was 3% better than the 1.6L

The fuel economy of the 2.0L gas fuel injection turbo was the same as the 1.6L NA and goes more than twice as well the highway economy is better than the 1.6 carb owing to fuel injection

The fuel economy of the 2.0L diesel is the winner using about 60% of the fuel needed for the NA gas model while producing about as much power as the 1.6L gas motor and being easier to drive.

So...the only ways to improve the fuel economy is less weight, or more efficient engine (diesel). Just putting a smaller engine into any car doesnt do alot unless the engine was excessively large to being with and was operating outside its efficiency zone during normal driving.

You might get a small improvement by going to a small 3cyl engine and then turbo charging it to increase its power to what you had before. This is a trick thats being used in europe now to improve economy. The reason why it works, turbos improve engine efficiency by making use of wasted exhaust gasses. The smaller engine with less cylinders has less frictional losses and is lighter.

Thats some good info there peoples. I was thinking about a turbo on it. What are the 2.0L horsepower and torque? Im only barely getting 20mpg in my 626. :( I'll be honest with you i'd love to find a 4 door hatch back metro. I just cant find em anywhere.

alright so the 2 door hatch back metro is 1808 lbs and that 3 cyl motor makes 55hp and 58 torque lol...the mazda is 2743 lbs and supposedly makes 118hp and 127 torque. I dunno man I just thought for such a small car the mazda gets some weak mpg. I cant get more than 22mpg out of it and i mostly drive on the highway like a grandma.

alright so the 2 door hatch back metro is 1808 lbs and that 3 cyl motor makes 55hp and 58 torque lol...the mazda is 2743 lbs and supposedly makes 118hp and 127 torque. I dunno man I just thought for such a small car the mazda gets some weak mpg. I cant get more than 22mpg out of it and i mostly drive on the highway like a grandma.

There's something wrong with your car, or with the gas you buy. You should be getting around 30 MPG, if not more.

There's something wrong with your car, or with the gas you buy. You should be getting around 30 MPG, if not more.

I get 35mpg on my 1.8 on long drives. And usually 20 mpg on my "normal" driving (i drive like i stole/built it :D )

He's absolutely right. I didn't even get that low when my O2 sensor was disconnected and the car ran in open loop (full rich) the entire time. I've never gotten lower than around 27 city even flogging it like crazy.