Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
GT_FE3

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

Where did you get your q-mat from? I saw some on trademe a while back but it has gone now. I was originally looking at getting the 'real deal' dynamat, but it is soooo expensive. I am definaly a "you get what you pay for" kind of guy but at that price I dont know if I could justify spending so much for sound deadening. Maybe if I only do a door or two I might try it out.

Edit: Oh wait, found some

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-490909095.htm

Have you been able to compare dynamat to q-mat? Does q-mat stick well? Did you have to heat it?

Sorry, lots of questions :)

All good mate. I reckon its the same stuff as Dynamat pretty much going by the description, the same/similar materials are used to make it. Its just you pay for the Dynamat name. Yeah it sticks really well, with or without heat, I used a heat gun to help mold it at strange angles like around the rear struts. I cleaned the areas first with prepsol that helps it stick better. Once its down your cant really get it off. It takes at least 2 of the 9 sheet packs to do a whole car. I have used 18 sheets in total and still have not done my boot, which needs it badly.

Don't even have to buy it on trade me; Mongoose's number is 443 3128 they are at 41a View rd, Wairau park. I think its always that same $199 as its their outlet shop.

So.. much.. unnecessary.. weight....!

the car is like 20+ DB quieter. i wouldnt say in anyway thats unnecessary. special for a cruizer. but i wouldnt be doing it to a project/toy thats for sure. but any Daily driver would def gain from it.

20Db is a massive difference. You could probably hear a pin drop! I'm not going quite that far, but I am getting some more mat for my boot/trunk.

Can't find my camera, so here's to a crappy photo less update. Fixed my brakes, bedding them in. Fixed my fan so it works when its supposed to work and not 24/7. My miss issue is the leads, I am getting some good Champion ones next week. I had a set before and I found them to be very good. Some jackass stole them a few years back when my car was supposedly having an engine rebuild which never happened. Finished the left rear door card. And its raining so I can't do anything on my car today, such joy.

Found the camera. Car passed inspection after I told the guy about the engine mounts - it can only be failed if there is no rubber in the mount not if its cracked like mine is. It will need doing some time but for now its okay. The miss issue went away for a while and came back once today. Went to Repco - no leads for my car. Same deal at Supercheap.

post-28190-0-96377700-1343611784_thumb.j

post-28190-0-64042300-1343611846_thumb.j

post-28190-0-82932800-1343611823_thumb.j

post-28190-0-77282100-1343611894_thumb.j

post-28190-0-94104200-1343611942_thumb.j

The inspection guy didn't like the smoked lights and failed me on that. I have a good spare boot garnish to go on, the tint is hiding some cracks. The left light is brand new, the right one is used, needs a light restorer kit.

post-28190-0-81389000-1343611927_thumb.j

Have 2 door cars on, although they are not the final product. Passenger one is crap, its broken, that's why the door handle is hanging out. I do have a spare one but im thinking of getting import GV wagon ones which come factory black. But I could recover them in the black vinyl I have (may have found a way to make it work).

post-28190-0-91809400-1343611865_thumb.j

post-28190-0-89708400-1343611882_thumb.j

I could get solid, maybe with certification? Haven't looked into it, am thinking of Nolathane bushes further down the track. This weekend its time to deal with the miss issue. It went away for a bit but now its a pain in the ass. When I need the power its just not there. When I don't need it car runs fine. So my options are; NGK, Champion or Top Gun. I'm leaning toward NGK, cos I know the part numbers, but Champion and Top Gun have their leads in red. I can live with black wires, but it will kind of blend in since my valve cover is black.

NGK:

RC-ZE17 (Leads)

BP5ES-11 (std plugs)

BPR5EIX-11 (Iridium plugs)

Also I'm getting a light restorer kit to shine up the dull junk yard light and to spruce up my spare mint boot garnish, which I also hope to have on my car soon.

So I got new spark plugs and wires. The car does and doesn't run any better. It hesitates and sometimes backfires under load. With the old plugs it would hesitate randomly throughout the rev range, as you can see they needed replacement. The plugs are tight, the wires are in the correct order. Still investigating, could be the plugs themselves, going to get standard ones tomorrow. The wires are oem Champion ones, no one had NGK's and I was lucky get even get this set. I have had Champions before and they were great.

post-28190-0-06611300-1344058690_thumb.j

post-28190-0-36646300-1344058704_thumb.j

post-28190-0-72835500-1344058717_thumb.j

Below this is my spare head. It needs some refurbishment, but overall its is in good shape. I will be getting a set of adjustable cam gears, and grinding up the standard cams slightly (270 degrees or so) and if I have the $$$$ when it comes time for me to do a rebuild. I plan to do this in about 20-30,000 km. Hopefully the block is in relatively good shape, I plan to spend around $5500, hence it will mainly stay standard, but will have a little more mid range/top end for wank factor/cam sound.

post-28190-0-18235700-1344058748_thumb.j

post-28190-0-76382800-1344058760_thumb.j

post-28190-0-94587500-1344058774_thumb.j

post-28190-0-08209600-1344058784_thumb.j

Kind of. Basically something for more looks/sounds than standard. Although it will have some slight go with it, I hope, but I'm not expecting to suddenly have a 25kw gain, since everything else will probably stay standard. Am also considering a stand alone ecu, sick of airflow meters breaking/plugs coming loose (cable tied for now).

Time the engine gets some attention. I'm getting a red vacuum hose dress up kit to help offset all the black and am thinking of adding a grounding kit. I could do with a fuel filter too, the current one is getting on, I've done a few km's with it now. Also I am going to be making a proper cold air intake. So I may well make this stuff into a tutorial and add it in for the next competition.

You should've gone with the NGK plugs. Overall I've had way better performance, especially in terms of hesitation, over those Bosch ones.

Conversely, my mate's BMW had issues with the NGK and did better when switched to Bosch.

I suppose our user manual specifies NGK for a reason...

@Prince - "Wank" can almost always be equated with the American "Jerk". It means the same thing and is used in pretty much the same way. So for example, we'd say "He's a total wanker" where you guys might say "That guy is a complete jerkoff". In the previous case, it doesn't equate 100%, but you get the general idea. He was being slightly self-deprecating but basically saying he wants the louder engine anyway, even though it won't do anything for performance. He wants it for added wank-factor! ;-)

Waiting for my hose and grounding kits to come. Going to get a new fuel filter and battery terminals (stock ones are looking pretty crappy). Waiting to hear back about some black GV door cards. Damn the waiting. I want to start doing. A mate has started working in a panel shop and can roll my guards cheap, but he's gapped to London for a month, so waiting for him to get back so I can get my guards rolled. Hope it wont stuff my paint!

Exhaust. Stock suck its just too damn quiet even with a resonator. I want something with dual tips. Wish I could have drift/bozo pipes but they are not legal so can't. Thinking about flow master 80 series dual exit with 2" or 2.5" chrome tips and a second resonator.

Hope it wont stuff my paint!

The key is to go slow and use lots of heat from a heat gun! I haven't done it personally, but we had a fender rolling party a couple of times, and the guy that got his the nicest just went nice and slow. Some of them tried to do it all in one pass, and it turned out pretty terribly, hah. And it's not easy to fix once you've messed it up!

I have been mega lazy, done nothing on the car really, apart from change the fuel filter. It may help but I reckon my throttle body and pod filter need a good clean. Pod filter is pretty manky.

Lately this is all I have got for the car. Seems to be running better now, think I must have had a combo of bad gas and fuel filter.

post-28190-0-65339100-1346907588_thumb.j

At the moment I'm working on this.....

post-28190-0-21369100-1346907710_thumb.j

post-28190-0-41992200-1346907720_thumb.j

Its a 1995 Yamaha Jog ZR, it got me into 2 wheeling. I've just, adjusted and cleaned the carb after it sat for a few months. A new battery, air filter and spark plug and once again I'll be able to go out and about on this. Fun and cheap to run, $6 for 100 km. Its no ordinary 50cc, this has been worked, high speed gear kit, sport shocks, burial exhaust, carb rejet to #88, high flow intake filter, a bore kit I'd say but I dunno how big. It flies over hills and can almost go 100 km/h! It needs that drilled Brembo brake on the front. Unlike the typical high pitched mosquito sound of a 50cc, this sounds like like a swarm of angry bees. I keep to the speed limits though. On 2 wheels you always have to keep your wits about you. The plastics are kind of beat up, this used to be raced in japan before I got it and then some idiots reversed into it, so I plastic welded the front. It needs paint, but I'm thinking of adding a few stickers, hide some of the worse scrapes etc.

post-28190-0-97629500-1346907621_thumb.j

post-28190-0-27724700-1346907687_thumb.j

post-28190-0-96494300-1346907671_thumb.j

post-28190-0-83996300-1346907659_thumb.j

post-28190-0-91028300-1346907646_thumb.j

post-28190-0-49558500-1346907634_thumb.j

post-28190-0-19187200-1346907699_thumb.j

Awesome little bike, mate! :thumbsup:

Its being a little pain in the butt to be honest. Obviously, since it has sat I had to go over it thoroughly. I took out and cleaned the carb, replaced the air filter (oiled it too since its a foam one that needs to be oiled.) Replaced spark plug and battery and then discovered why it didn't go - the fuel line from the petcock was dry. I took it out, was totally filthy, cleaned it and still no go. The diaphragm inside the petcock seemed good, the fuel line from the tank is fine. 2 stroke and carbs = a headache.

I'm not giving up, but I am thinking/wanting to get a 19mm performance carb, #95 main jet, pod filter and obviously a new petcock. I was hoping to at least have it running today but no.

I have nothing to my car but drive it, although I'm going to do an oil change next week. Summer is coming so I'm going to be on 2 wheels a bit more I plan to start on doing the vacuum lines and a proper intake for the car.

The scooter got all this....

post-28190-0-27224600-1349671825_thumb.j

post-28190-0-95404400-1349671836_thumb.j

Pod filter! with a dust cover, been told its going to really loud now esp with the exhaust

post-28190-0-23692000-1349671849_thumb.j

Jet sizes #95,98,100 so I can use the pod filter. Currently it has a #88, because it has the stock air box it will run lean so I have to jet up.

post-28190-0-81357000-1349671862_thumb.j

This is half the reason why it isn't going. The petcock/petrol valve/pump was stuffed. Its from another scooter but it will do the job. The blocked off pipe is for emissions and as this is 1994 and 2 stroke it hasn't got any of that.

I got a proper leather motorbike jacket with armor as well. Expensive day, spent about $300.

cute air filter :lol: does that blue cap on it goes with the unit when installed? or is it some sort of packaging for it? :mellow: really is cute,..

Its a heat/dust shield, I don't want to run an open filer because anyone who has a two-stroke will know how finicky they are, they need the right amount of gas and air and even temperature can upset them. This is was hard to start on a summers day, in the damp it was impossible. The pod filter is really just for laughs, I don't think its going to do much for performance, the carb jet is for that, its like putting in bigger injectors, so there may be a little bit more "go". I'm wondering about the induction sound, apparently pod filters make scooters really loud.