GT_FE3

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

323 posts in this topic

This is my passenger door card.

img-340421-1-p1010627f.jpg

Since this pic I have put the light back in, bottom carpet and storage compartment and door handles.

Its pretty much finished now, just got to put it in the car. Spent most of the day on it. Have some other pics in my doorcard tutorial. What a difference compared to factory;

img-340421-2-p1010596sn.jpg

I also put the consoles back in now they are black with silver highlights. Still need to do make my shifter boot and do something about the carbon fibre. Its too dark now. I have some brushed aluminum which I'll be adding soon.

img-340421-3-p1010624rj.jpg

Looks heaps grouse, mate! Just lovin' it! Wish I could drive out to see it sometime!!

Looks heaps grouse, mate! Just lovin' it! Wish I could drive out to see it sometime!!

You can drive to New Zealand?!?!

Makes me want to get my interior redone. You've done a fantastic professional job on them.

Man that's good. I'm super interested in how long the black paint holds up, especially on the door card where your arm goes. I usually have my arm there while driving.

Of course I can drive to NZ...don't tell me you haven't heard about the underground tunnel, kind of like the Chunnel between England and France...

I had to google that. Almost had me.

:D just trying' to keep you on your toes, mate!

Haha that would be cool if they did a tunnel/bridge, although I wonder if it would end up like that "GC" show. Both Aussies and Kiwis hate it from what I hear I cant stand it myself. Im half Aussie, I go over every few years hang out with family over there. Still paying my parents back from the last time I went just before I got my job lol.

Took my car on a roadtrip, got it filthy. Went well, found I sometimes had a slight low speed miss, probably plugs or leads and its time to get new front brake rotors and pads, they are ground to hell and back. May have some good spare ones, finding out tomorrow.

Got pulled over on my way home because my tails were too dark, let off with a warning. Washed it at work today so its all shiny at home in the garage. Thats about all I have done so far. Getting more soundmat on Monday. I painted the rest of the doorcards last week and snapped some shots, have not posted them up yet, so here they are.

While out last weekend I found this. Cheaper than the vinyl dye, only $13 a can! Needless to say I got a few of them.

I never knew we had fusion paint here in NZ.

Its pretty glossy considering the can said satin compared with my finished door card but its good.

post-28190-0-78937500-1340433303_thumb.j

I used a can the other door cards

post-28190-0-68498600-1340433235_thumb.j

post-28190-0-22323000-1340433291_thumb.j

post-28190-0-81885600-1340433256_thumb.j

some before and afters. These were my "spare" ones and were a little dirty

post-28190-0-09849500-1340433157_thumb.j

End result:

post-28190-0-56247300-1340433218_thumb.j

That is this one from last week all done

post-28190-0-41003900-1340434842_thumb.j

Man that looks sweet, only just come across this thread. Its so awesome to see another NZer on here - so few and far between on forums :D

I have so much respect for painters because I cant seem to paint anything with out it looking like, well... I painted it :/ I really want to get my car fixed up someday but not sure how to go about it. Maybe see if I can do it in three sections (front mid back) because I probably wont be able to afford it all in one.

Do you find it easy finding parts for your telstar? I seem to struggle for engine parts a lot.

Sweet build man - come paint my car when your done

Well I mutilated a finger and got off work for 2 days. So I will bore you with no pics while I finish the suede on the upper plastic trims.

Also the miss is getting worse. Its only there under load especially when it gets a bootfull, so Im looking into this. And yet again Dr Jones by Aqua is stuck in my head.....

Haha that would be cool if they did a tunnel/bridge

Keep dreamin' about that tunnel/bridge, mate! Hehe, the distance between Oz and NZ is WAAAAAAY farther than that piddly channel between France and England. Hell, people have swum the English Channel. Good luck swimming to Auckland from Melbourne!! HAHAHA!!

Took my car on a roadtrip, got it filthy. Went well, found I sometimes had a slight low speed miss, probably plugs or leads

So you said the miss was getting worse, especially under load. Have you changed the plugs and leads yet?

Got pulled over on my way home because my tails were too dark, let off with a warning.

Tails were too dark because you tinted them too heavily or because the car was filthy?

BTW the car is looking great. Kudos on those door cards, they look as if they'll match the exterior famously. Would love to see it irl. Wish it was easier to get from Melbourne to NZ... :P

I tinted the left light too dark. Right one is all good, its lightly smoked but you can see the reflector and lights clear enough. Left one got the cops attention I think. Havent looked at my miss issue yet, I need to its getting worse.

I should have been resting my finger. BUT. I got more Q -mat and did the passenger doors.....

post-28190-0-03223800-1341210172_thumb.j

post-28190-0-62767600-1341210197_thumb.j

post-28190-0-56578300-1341210184_thumb.j

this is my drivers door without the mat.

Also glued suede onto my upper trims;

post-28190-0-48205100-1341210220_thumb.j

post-28190-0-99334200-1341210233_thumb.j

Left side is done, right side to do with both the matting and the side trim. Its coming along though.

Finished the Q Mat on the doors. Stuck some leftover bits on A,B,C pillars.

post-28190-0-02855200-1341296438_thumb.j

I trimmed the suede on the upper trims.

post-28190-0-85433500-1341296454_thumb.j

Upper trims in my car

post-28190-0-85014000-1341296465_thumb.j

post-28190-0-82041000-1341296488_thumb.j

post-28190-0-57104900-1341296514_thumb.j

post-28190-0-50993000-1341296527_thumb.j

post-28190-0-98677500-1341296539_thumb.j

I did a layer of Q-Mat over the plastic inside the doors. By doing this you gain the solid "Thump" sound that limos have. It works best with door cards on I'd say

This is the center console after I did silver highlights. Trick is not to go nuts with highlights and paint vents and everything, just the odd part here and there.

post-28190-0-10645200-1341296550_thumb.j

post-28190-0-50616200-1341296558_thumb.j

I'll just say it again...looking so great!!!

Looking really slick! That sound dampening stuff is expensive. You're sure putting a lot of effort into the acoustics. Gotta be the best Telstar I've personally seen so far. Gonna be amazing when you get everything back together. Hopefully this time when she's back together it will be a long time until you take it apart again. Seems like you gone through interior removal a lot this year alone.

^

check out Fatmat on ebay. thats what ive used, and has held up great. i have 200 SQ feet of it in my mazda6. lol.

and if you want that solid thud when you close your door. all you have to do is add a small strip on the inside of the door panel. and that will do it. but doing the entire door panel will do more for sound SQ. :)

Oh. D'oh. Wish I had known, instead of doing the whole door like I did. Bright side is I really do have the solid thud sound now. I thought the floor made a difference, now with the doors its like being in a luxury car. Its the sort of feel I'm heading towards; sports oriented exterior, luxurious interior, minus the electric seats (they move too slow and piss me off) And heated seats (too much hassle installing them, I wouldn't use them really). But I am thinking about getting a flip down DVD player, one day once I have my tints and adjusties and my 16x8 rims.........

Any idea what the square footage used GT_FE3? If I can find an affordable solution even through ebay I might be apt to get enough for a door or two. Just wondering how much it took for the whole car. Imagine MonoxideChild probably double layered?

So far about $400. 18 sheets; 820mmx480mm. Did the floor from the firewall to under the backseat, A,B and C pillars. But if your not chasing SPL, just put a little inside the doors, the rest can go towards the boot. I would have done that if I had known. Quiet as can be (unless I have a CD going). Its changed the dynamics of the car completely. Sitting inside it just does not feel like a 24 year old car, there is no rattling trim, next to no road noise its amazing.

the best places to sound deaden are the doors, the roof, and the floor. it really makes a huge difference.

and no, i didnt double it up. lol. but i did do a bit more then just the sound deadening sheets. i also used expanding foam in a can, and filled my frame rails, and my A, B and C pillars. along with all the big openings in the rear trunk area's and around the trunk latch. then any bigger area's that were left behind any of the panels i used poly fill and acoustical foam so there is ZERO dead air anywhere.

Wow, I don't think I will go that far! I just have one 350 watt 12" sub and amp. Not out to win a sound off, just enough for decent low tones. Although it thumps well when turned up if I want to be an attention whore lol! Mostly I just wanted to get rid of the rattles and road noise which I have. Its nice and quiet inside now.