Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
GT_FE3

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

Try removing the sound device from device manager. Reinstall sound drivers or look for an updated one. Bad HD audio drivers can create a buffer overflow and crash the system. Make sure your audio drivers are setup properly and mute all recording devices. Got a webcam? Make sure the webcam mic is disabled. Random pixelation could also be graphics card overheating. A bluescreen can be hardware or software related. Typically with Windows it's going to be a conflicting driver. You can try using msconfig to turn off all unnecessary programs from loading at startup. Might want to also look at the audio pins on the motherboard to make sure nothing came loose. Do a google search I'm sure you can find some tech forums out there with people willing to help. Bit-tech forums is a good place to start.

I fixed the sound last week just before it did the blue screen. It wont even load windows now, pity cos I wanted to see what error comes up but it flashes really quick halfway through the loading screen then just resets itself.

Glad Im starting the floorpans now -

img-339149-1-p1010483t.jpg

img-339149-2-p1010482h.jpg

Passenger side

img-339149-3-p1010492pi.jpg

img-339149-4-p1010480b.jpg

img-339149-5-p1010495hu.jpg

Driver side - its worse

img-339149-6-p1010494y.jpg

img-339149-7-p1010491b.jpg

img-339149-8-p1010490n.jpg

Boot isnt bad. No scale, some slight surface spotting. Will do it anyway.

Good old winter (not) - 5pm its raining and too dark to do anything else. I ground the worst part first - the rear driver side pan all the way back with an angle grinder and stripping disk. Floor is bent upwards at the back so someone was driving over curbs - thanks to one of the other 16 people (idiots) who had this car before me. The blue stuff is rust killer. Have some more grinding to do tomorrow, hopefully no rain.

img-339156-1-p1010506l.jpg

img-339156-2-p1010506l.jpg

img-339156-3-p1010511w.jpg

Sound deadner = Mongoose Q-Mat;

img-339156-4-p1010469l.jpg

img-339156-5-p1010471b.jpg

Floorpan doesn't look that bad to me. I would have just sprayed some chassis paint over it. Though I don't have a grinder. You've been methodical in your approach thus far so I'll take your word for it that it needed to be cleaned and your not just going off the OCD deep end. ;P After the rust killer you going to use chassis paint or spray paint? I learned about POR15 from you so maybe use that?

img-339167-1-p1010443e.jpg

I love it!

But PLEASE take off that damn ford badge, it's not a ford. The front would look so cleaner.

Ground back every little scaley bit I could and brushed on the rust killer. Overall it was very good.

img-339236-1-p1010517u.jpg

Bombed the inner quarters. The drains clog up easily and the like to fill with water.

Left;

img-339236-2-p1010519gu.jpg

with black zinc

img-339236-3-p1010541nd.jpg

same thing, right side

img-339236-4-p1010543z.jpg

need to do another coat, drying for now.

img-339236-5-p1010540y.jpg

Did a quick spray over everything.

From the image caption.. CRC Black Zinc. An aerosol paint with rust inhibitor and thick enamel finish. Comes in a variety of colors such as yellow zinc, red zinc, green zinc, etc... For a thick coating it says to build up layers using a thick primer coat. Of course they recommend their own product for that called CRC Prep.

I just used some generic primer/filler. Underneath my dash is damp, on the drivers side. I have to take it out.

Problem is I cant find the web page I was using as a guide.

It was saved on the pos pizza box in my room. I feel like taking a bat to it and then running it over in my car and then burning it.

I cant though, I dont have a bat, I dont want to ruin my car I dont want to waste the gas on it. I have the floor finished in sound mat now. Pics up tonight.

Dosent it just frustrate you when you need something badly and you cant get it/it wont work/not there? So the dash stayed in. I took out the glovebox and lower panel on the drivers side.

My car has no a/c (it only slows you down!) From the check I did the heater seems okay. Both sides were damp just under the pedals.

I assume the factory sound deadening (rubber over carpet underlay) Had been wet from my wet feet the last week

and hadn't dried out. Anyway I cut it out on both sides (the wet bit.) Bombed it with the zinc. Letting it dry, tomorrow carpets and trim in! The door cards I will do another day.

And seats, the front ones atleast all going to plan.......

img-339314-1-p1010557k.jpg

img-339314-2-p1010556dg.jpg

black vs gray

img-339314-3-p1010548a.jpg

This could be a shock.....

ready?

img-339314-4-p1010546d.jpg

Did the dash! This was just after painting......

And then after assembling. Came out well considering....

img-339314-5-p1010554no.jpg

Probably could have got a factory black dash from a GV or GF import wagon. Oh well, saved myself a couple of hundred bucks

I guess.

Oh yeah I forgot the Q-Mat.....

img-339314-6-p1010547ji.jpg

Lee - I have some good news for you. The Ford badges are going. Once Im done with the interior Im shaving my spare grill.

Has it rained or wash your car recently? Gotta be coming from somewhere. ;) Oh I had a day like that today for sure. I've thrown my share of wrenches. Takes a little bit to calm down yeah. You'll get it eventually. You're doing an amazing job with the restoration, far more than I could hope to do with mine. I have heaps of respect for you. Keep at it I'll know you'll get done everything you want and that Telstar is going to be the pride and joy of all Telstar owners across the world. Keep at it mate.

Actually I had washed it late last week (thurs/fri.) Its been a fair bit of work but its been fun I quite enjoy it, never felt like it was too much or sick of it.

I was lucky my boss let me have an extra day, was supposed to be back working tomorrow, which meant I would have to just bolt in the driver seat and leave eeverything else. I wanted to do the dash since I have everything out and painted everything else but the doorcards black. I suppose now I'll do a search and find the topic just when Ive done the dash anyway.

Well to be honest I admire your mechanical work. I need to do my lifters, but I know once I do that I'll want to check the valve stem seals, and then Id tear everything down to check the pistons and block etc and then Id want to freshen up the bottom end add big cams port/polish and standalone ecu add itbs.........

Nah Id best keep away from all that, you can see what I am like lol. May do that once it needs it. At 285 k its not bad.

Mind on doing a dash painting/dying image tutorial? I'd love to see the steps done for that as I plan on taking mine from tan to black. I would hardly call the work on my car mechanical. It's just turning a few wrenches and putting things back together like legos. Prince and Zepticon on the other hand. They do real mechanical work. When all of your interior and exterior restoration is complete the only other improvement you can do is to the engine. We'll see if your penchant for improvement gets the better of you when you cross that bridge. ;)

Oh crap, I didnt take any pics while doing the dash just before and afters. I am planning on doing a door card, so can do a step by step then. Basically use dish detergent and water. I used a metal scotch pad but you can use sand paper 400 grit, just enough to dull the surface. If you can take it out. There are some slight patches I've missed but nothing overly noticible.

I worked like crazy to finish today. Started at 8:40 am and finished in the dark at 5:30 didnt stop to take many photo's cos I have to work tomorrow and Saturday. Was lucky to get today to finish. Seats in, carpet in rear seats in, some of the trim. Its about

90% complete now, although it looks funny with beige seats and grey door cards and black panels here and there lol.

I need more Q-Mat for the inside of the boot. Sub and amp are out, have to make mounts for them. Im still working on the shifter and center consoles so they are not in yet.

That mat is night and day difference. I cant hear any road noise at all, and thats just single sheets on the floor. Has killed alot of rattles. Definitley worth it. Once the sub and amp are in hopefully I can gain bass like they claim.

Prince summed it up well. Volume (bass) can be lost through vibration on the panels. By having a barrier (sound mat) It lessens/prevents vibration so you 'gain' bass but only what is lost through vibration. Even so gaining 3db effectively doubles the amplification (so they claim). That wasnt the sole reason for getting the mat though, I wanted to cut down noise altogether, road noise and rattling trim etc. Saying that, have a rattle in the dash, I havent put the plastics on the steering colum on properly in my rush so Im pretty sure its just that. Should have taken the whole week off, could have done it all in one go. Still cant believe the difference the mat makes with only the floor done! Feels like being in another car.

img-339435-1-p1010564r.jpg

This was the last time I took pics before I had to work like a madman and get everything back into the car ready to go for work today. All in all its pretty good. A few places Im not 100% happy with but mostly its pretty good for my first time doing any interior stuff (apart from taking it all out.)

Funny, the light beige seats almost seem to go with the black lol. I can live with them until they meet the trimmer. Excuse the very dirty door jambs which I need to clean sometime soon.

img-339435-2-p1010568vv.jpg

img-339435-3-p1010569c.jpg

img-339435-4-p1010570.jpg

Consoles are out, I havent finished with them yet, same deal with the upper trims for the windows and seatbelts.

img-339435-5-p1010572g.jpg

img-339435-6-p1010576k.jpg

img-339435-7-p1010578z.jpg

Im going to get another box of Q-mat for inside the boot and all the doors. Im not doing the roof, used the factory foam padding as it was all good, whereas if I was chasing SPL I would probably do a double layer on everything.

Also decided since the dash is black, Im ditching the carbon fibre in favour of something else which will remain secret for now. Door cards and upper seatbelt/window trim plastics need attention as you can see thats about all thats left interior wise. Apart from window tints and seat retrimming.

Someone asked me for a tutorial on how to paint vinyl/ plastics. I'll do it when I start on the door cards.

Cleaned my door jambs. Spent $100 at pick a part (a you pull it yard) On various broken/missing bits of trim from my car. Supercheap and Repco (NZ version of Autozone and Pepboys I guess) Ran out of satin black vinyl paint, still doing a tute on that but it will be in a while when I can get my hands on some more. And now my cooling fan has stopped working, a loose wire/dodgy connection. Heaps of looks while out driving about with my friends.

Is it something you can splice and solder back together? For something near the fan with lots of vibration might want to think about using crimped butt connectors instead.

Got a good plug from the junk yard so now its a simple splice and go (to do). And by chance I went to another Repco - and got the last 2 cans of satin black vinyl paint. Got my sub and amp in and going, also put my centre consoles back in. A great day.

Edit: the wire on the thermostat housing was breaking, which if moved would make the fan go. I took the broken wire and plug off it and put my new one on. Fan didnt work. Took it off. Fan works. At the moment I have nothing on the thermostat housing, so the fan works. What the hell?