Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
GT_FE3

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

Pics of the sunroof! Why go back to factory bumper? I really like how your car looks now. :(

no worries. i cant blame yea. lol. but im running the Hella true yellow glass 550's myself. i need some new plastic Hella cover's though, as my stock ones have seen better days.

Although these aren't genuine, they are glass. I guess by looking at them its just a drill and bolt into the bumper job.

img-337673-1-p1010425s.jpg

New sunroof. Car is a little dusty, washed it 4 days ago I wash once a week/2 weeks depending how dirty it gets.

img-337673-2-p1010428tf.jpg

img-337673-3-p1010427p.jpg

img-337673-4-p1010429y.jpg

Going to paint my wipers too, keep forgetting.

img-337673-5-p1010430xg.jpg

Once I'm on superlows that bumpers gonna hit everything. It scrapes now and then on things now.

The brown stuff inside my car on the roof and pillars isn't rust. Its cavity wax, works like fish oil minus the repulsive stink, its a thick film which covers the metal preventing rust. Most rust I had was on the outer skin anyway but prevention is better than cure and since all the interior is out may as well do a spay.

Here is a massive update; spent alot of time today doing this......

img-337689-1-p1010431f.jpg

No, this is not the headlining of an Audi (although it looks alot like it!)

img-337689-2-p1010432hd.jpg

img-337689-3-p1010434l.jpg

It is just the start of the custom interior that is going into my car. Still debating about painting the white/beige plastics black. For my first time ever doing this I thing its amazing! Also I have left the cover off the light on purpose, its dirty/ have blown bulbs which Im fixing.

So to recap;

img-337689-4-p1010374v.jpg

1x Dirty ugly standard cardboard headliner,

6 or so meters of lucious luxurious black micro suede (think it cost me 60 bucks. So worth it!)

another $60 on spray adhesive and vynil paint. Can see another $40 going on vynil paint for dash/door cards.

img-337689-5-p1010364k.jpg

suede on the headliner

img-337689-6-p1010385c.jpg

And now your driving in luxury. Well... almost. Carpet needs some attention. Need more suede for door cards.

This will probably be another $900, factoring in a trimmer to redo all the seats and dynamat (I'm using Eastwood's equivalent = cheaper). All good, love this car (if you havent already noticed lol). So I'll do it.

Is the "stripes" allways that obvious or is it just because of the flash?

Thiinking of going the same way with my MX6 but im afraid its "to much" with full suede interior. Esp since the surface is not monotone, but dependent on where the hairs are pointing.

i wrapped my headliner on my old tiburon. but i used marine grade vinyl (looks like real black leather) from a local fabric shop. the material was like $15 bux. but the 3M spray adhesive set me back like $30 bux.

It also attracted attention of a really nice young lady who just started working at the gas station I usually go to. She's like "Wow, is that your car?" I just play cool "yeah it gets me from A to B"...... Last week she asked how I was and did some flirting....... I said one day, I'll take you for a ride. This week she fills my car for me. She practically ran over to me lol. I lost my cell a few days back dammit and today she was on forecort, but there were heaps of cars and she was busy so I didn't get her digits. Next week. I just hope she dosen't mind my current "track spec interior" lol.

They still pump your petrol occasionally in NZ?? I'm near Melbourne and I've never once even seen them leave the payment booth LOL even out in the country where I live!!

Maybe she just liked you that much!! So what happened with that, BTW?

Im going to see her tomorrow (payday.) Need to get some credit, just got that top up message from vodafone on my spare phone. Going to get a new one. Hopefully an HTC Wildfire or something like that.

To be honest Im kinda not wanting to see the inside of my car at the moment - no drivers door card, no trim no carpet lol.

Also the station I use is a new one which replaces Shell called "Z" (Zee or Zed.) Because they have their own name they dont have to pay royalties to Shell which is supposed to make fuel cheaper they have ads on TV about having forecourt staff which I guess helps bring customers in. I just go there cos its not far from my house lol.

The stripes are from where I was holding up the headliner while putting it in, yeah its the flash that makes it stand out. I took it just after I had finished and it was dark. I was mistaken about the Audi's having suede as their headliner - its actually Porsches on some of their Cayennes. I also havent properly mounted the dome light so yeah its kinda crooked.

Met the trimmer. Was an awesome guy. Had a mini with a 1300cc suzuki swift engine and a turbo in it and a 300zx which had a V8. Will be getting him to do my car, it'll be about 12-1500 for him to redo all the seats and door cards. Im going with black faux leather (easier to look after, sometimes more durable) and black suede with red stitching and piping. hes going to strip the seats back to the frame, paint them up, re bolster the front seats, add ribbing and remove some of the factory foam.

In other news these;

img-338182-1-p1010425s.jpg

Are now;

img-338182-2-p1010446s.jpg

img-338182-3-p1010443e.jpg

img-338182-4-p1010440fy.jpg

its not straight, I know. I cut a strip out of the bumper for some LED's I was going to put in and then decided I couldnt be bothered. Glad I didn't, LED's are way too new school. But yeah, really I should mover the right light up a bit. But right now I cant be stuffed.

Good call. LEDs on that old beauty just wouldn't match up.

Its going to be a while before I get the seats retrimmed but it will happen. These are R36 seats from a Volkswagen Passat. The trimmer is going to trim foam from the bottom of the seat, add more foam to the sides to make my factory seats look similar to this. He is also going to do the ribbing in centre of the seats as well. The centre of the seats will be done in suede, the outside in faux leather, so it will look alot like this but in my car.

img-338207-1-cp4755276267550536065.jpg

img-338207-2-cp5503566162508743585.jpg

img-338207-3-cp4617906943992225029.jpg

The next big I need to do - not want but actually need - is to rustkill/paint/prime the scabby little bits of surface rust on the floor and dynamat/put my carpet back in. I have taken the 29th and 30th off from work giving me 4 full days to do all this (1 day prep and rust kill, 1-2 days priming and painting, 1 day sound deadning/ putting in the carpet.

Reason why Im taking my time - im saving to get this;

img-338207-4-206672044full.jpg

Suzuki VL250 Intruder in black (to match my car lol.) I have a scooter which got me into 2 wheeling and hasnt put me off so Im going to go for my L's and keep with the scoot until I have enough to get the bike, which I want to get around january next year.

Seats look comfy. Suede doesn't hold up too well for longevity though. All you have to do to match the bike is give it a red pinstripe. :)

Im using some thick industrial marine grade suede, like Alcantara. Its specifically made for seats, the stuff they use on Audi's and Porsches etc.

Yeah I may well do the pinstripe on the bike.

Washed my car at work today and the tint film came off = annoyance, so I have 2 boring white crooked spotlights. Buying some proper yellow Cibie lights instead, look the same but are yellow and cost twice as much as the ones I have, when they were new. Mind you they are German/Belgian and not Chinese knock-offs.

Have got my "dynamat". Its coming on monday, found it cheaper again - 9 sheets for $199. Its called Mongoose Q-Mat. At the end of the day its all the same stuff pretty much. Might not be 100% performance wise the same as Dynamat is but who cares it will be quieter than nothing/the factory stuff, plus once its under carpet who will know. Apart from us. Shhhh. Keep it this way.

Dude that looks insanely sexy! Lovin the black paint on the roof carpet (the name escapes me lol) and the seats! How did you get the interior below the carpet and stuff so clean? Acetone? Goo gone?

It's called headliner njintau. I forget the name of it all the time don't even worry about it.

I didn't paint the headliner. I just glued suede on it using heavy duty Ados? Since the headliner is cardboard and not foam backed youcan just spray right over it and not worry about sagging. Make sure to use the heavy duty one for headliners, the regular one is not strong enough and peels away (the Trimmer told me that. He also said for a diy first go that I didnt do too bad!) Foam headliners are the ones that sometimes end up sagging. Thankfully this wasnt one of them.

I just waterblasted the carpet at work. Was fairly clean anyway, but it made it mint. Going to give the carpet another quick coat of paint. I should have brushed it but I didn't so it clumped together a little with the paint. Have brushed it and theres some grey showing so a little spray here and there will fix that.

This is the start of a huge update. My computer is stuffed - blue screen of death, hope I can save all my pics from my C drive. Am using my dads one for now, so fear not there will be pics of what Im doing. Bugger cos I was saving for superlow springs/ maybe coil overs and certifcation for them but now I may have to get another computer. Worked today so I couldnt do much at all, but I have taken Tuesday and Wednesday off work giving me four full fantastic? Days to do my interior (apart from the seats - will just bomb them with black vynil paint for now until they get retimmed - if theres some paint left over.)

img-339102-1-p1010469l.jpg

img-339102-2-p1010471b.jpg

So this is my collection of materials so far;

Mongoose Q-mat (sound deadening, 9 sheets. I may well need more, want to do inside the doors later on.)

Rustbusta (2x 500ml, putting over any surface rust I find, not taking chances.)

Black Zinc primer (2x 500 ml)

Satin black vynil spray (4x cans, will be getting a few more to do all the interior plastics. Have gone through all the parts I have collected and will be using the best ones.)

Will try and do the door cards with the suede as well. Im wondering about taking the dash out - I know I really should but Im not sure. If I do take it out, I may not have enough time to finish the cards, if not I'll do what I can on weekends.

I am about to have a car with an (almost) full mint interior once again! This is exciting, havent had this in almost a year now! Once I get myself a few more cans of vynil paint tomorrow morning I will be starting on the car right away. I feel like a kid at christmas lol.

Very nice! I also want to turn my interior black. As always take pics of your progress. Sounds like you have a really fun weekend ahead of you. Good luck.

My computer is stuffed - blue screen of death, hope I can save all my pics from my C drive.

Windows = crap, Linux ftmfw!

I think hardware commits electrical suicide when it's forced to run windows. ;)

Stupid pos Ausus. That motherboard is barely 2 years old and just before this happened sound mysteriously disappeared and the screen randomly pixaleted at random, which makes me think the board is bad. Gigabyte or bust from now on, never had an issue with them, apart from seeing the next best thing and suddenly needing "moar powar!!".

Windows isnt the most stable thing around but stuff anything else = no games. I still like burning about on the good old games like NFS High Stakes and Porsche Challenge. After this NFS just wasnt the same. Although I have them all just so I can say I have every NFS ever made.

Back on topic......

img-339130-1-p1010475r.jpg

img-339130-2-p1010476w.jpg

img-339130-3-p1010484m.jpg

See why I dont have interior shots. Grey is yuck. And light colors are fail. Always getting dirty.

img-339130-4-p1010488m.jpg

img-339130-5-p1010486i.jpg

although these arent bad

img-339130-6-p1010488m.jpg

Nope wait they are

img-339130-7-p1010487d.jpg