Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
GT_FE3

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

thats why i own my 626. so i can drive something everyday, and not have to worry about other people not having a clue on how to drive. i can even park close at stores without worrying about door dings. i just call all that character. :)

So I have about $700 towards fixing it. Guy is still paying me which is also good. Have to wait 7 weeks for my sister to finish uni before I can send the car to a panel shop anyway as she takes my parents car to uni, and I will need them to take me to work. Funny (ironic) the car was parked in the corner at the end of the driveway so it wouldn't get hit. Ah well. By the end of November it will all be mint.

Truth be told I have been lazy, Also went for a bit of a holiday and dipped into my car fund, so nothing new yet.

Have decided to do this properly - sunroof out, quarter windows out etc etc. This is why my car needs a shop - Left quarter has my quick rust repair fixed - needs a replacement arch made and welded in, the right one still has that huge dent - needs pulling out, drivers door and guard have slight damage. So the roof, left quarter and the entire right hand side will be color matched and painted. And I am doing my bodykit in metallic this time and Im going to be clearing it so no more fade (it looks flat black now - horrible.)

So now its about $2250 Ive been quoted. Going to get a few more quotes on my next day off and then its time to decide which shop to go with.

Ohhhhh can't wait to see what she'll look like. What color metallic? Two tone or black? Only reason I ask is because I think some of 2nd and 3rd gen 626's came in two tone. Don't know about telstars though.

Yeah Telstars can come two tone - this one was originally (gloss black over gray). Car will be painted the same color it is now - PPG Deltron Pantherschwartz aka Panther Black. Bodykit will just be a generic metallic black - I used the proper Panther Black last time but it came up really green and looked nothing like the color my car is, then again it was from a can. I found the generic black was much closer to the actual color before I ran out of it and just went gloss black instead. Its another $450 or so to paint the kit, I'd rather save money take my time and paint it myself while the car is away.

That $450 can fix my sunroof - hope it can be fixed. Im pretty sure the company is no longer around - Tudor Webasco i think it is - its a wind up one cos Telstars only got factory electric sunroofs when the GT was made in 1990, my car being 89 is a Ghia which is Fords top trim level cos the GT didnt exist.

- So in Mazda terms my car would be a GLX-I with an fe-dohc rather than an actual GT. Funny thing is GT Mazda = electric windows. GT Telstar = wind up, even with a fancy electric sunroof. Im glad I have a Ghia, screw that wind up crap.

I think Mazda always had electric sunroofs. Pretty sure my friends 88 626 GT had one.

So Im having to wait another week. I get mondays off and the last 2 mondays have been public holidays = gay cos I cant go and get a quote from a place which could probably do the work a bit less than $2300 or whatever. So 2 more weeks. All good, more $$$ while I wait.

Also the sticker bomb thing has bitten me. Not going to a whole guard or anything stupid, just maybe a few on my front lip. Kinda thinking about CF wrap on the bonnet maybe although its just a thought, not serious about it. The bonnet has seen better days, scratches from the guy who did my windscreen and it has some slight fade and some stone chips, so its not like Im ruining a mint bonnet. Thoughts?

I've seen the wrap on a lot of bonnets and even though I know it's wrap I still like the look. When applied correctly it's a very clean look.

CF bonnet was just an idea, not going to run with it though, its nore a 90's sports car thing tbh. I guess I want a change from the whole 'black and white' theme I have, Ive had those white rims for about 6 years now.

I think these rims would do it.138619981671_full.jpg $750, can buy them and get the panel work done as well. Asked about them and theres not many sets left. 2.5" dish! They have my size 17x7, stud pattern (5x114.3) Offset (+40p). Think thats my current offset, or there abouts.

I know if I get them I'll want to get super low springs. Its on regular low now, but its high as a kite. Hope to have a finger space between guard and tyres - its a daily so cant go too crazy, stanced out etc. Would love coil overs, but to do it I would need a cert (waste of $400 on top of 1200 for them.) $1600 for suspension on a daily is ridiculous.

post-28190-0-37345700-1328607985_thumb.j

Well the day has finally come. My car is now in a panel shop. My bodykit is being sprayed in black primer (I will just do it in 1K.) So no car for a week. I thought it would take longer. Its going to be $2 grand. Well worth it to resurrect what was once one of the best GD hatches around. Next post will have pics!!

Take lots of pics. I thought the stuff you were doing was excellent. Can't wait to see the results. Take lots of pics please.

Got my car back today. Panels are all straight. Its looking good! Camera isnt going, so pics up tomorrow. Stupid camera.

Still have to put on some trim that I took off and spray the kit in color and clear, chuck on badges etc going to do that this weekend, hopefully the weather dosent screw it for me....

Straight and shiny!

Left quarter all fixed

P1010263.JPG

Right quarter

P1010267.JPG

I painted my bumper and sideskirts.

They all need flatting back and more clear but its okay for now, better than just black primer. Ran out of paint to do the spoiler. Next week.

P1010264.JPG

P1010265.JPG

Right skirt is off, had some dust while painting it. The stuff by the doors which looks horrible is double sided tape. I used screws as well, dont want them falling off at 100 k's.

close ups....

P1010271.JPG

P1010272.JPG

P1010273.JPG

P1010270.JPG

factory badges, sprayed red. The badges on the trunk will be done too.

P1010275.JPG

My old shift knob broke..... so I got this jdm/bubble/dildo(lol they are called that!) This was the smallest size (150 mm) available but still expensive ($50!) Much less effort shifting gears now, so well worth it imo. A 350mm one is over $100! Since its all one part it cant break unlike the supercrap $9 one I had before. The cars a mess inside and out, waiting for the paint to settle before I wash it.

post-28190-0-35940300-1330229986_thumb.j

post-28190-0-81864600-1330230125_thumb.j

post-28190-0-93810500-1330230301_thumb.j

post-28190-0-27958300-1330230351_thumb.j

post-28190-0-83409700-1330230427_thumb.j

post-28190-0-13276400-1330230502_thumb.j

post-28190-0-22506600-1330230548_thumb.j

post-28190-0-73771800-1330230606_thumb.j

post-28190-0-28522300-1330230691_thumb.j

Holy cow the paint look really good. It's shiny without any clear? I can tell the paint isn't finished but what you've got on there now looks great as a temporary. Your definition of temporary and others definition are much different. Quality stuff. She's going to look stunning when you get the paint finished. I've never seen a 2.0J badge before, neat. What does the J stand for? Japanese?

lol yeah it does look like a J. Its meant to be an I meaning the car has fuel injection. Mazda have the same badges on their cars. As a car painter it kind of haunts you. Once you learn faults you start looking for them. At present I couldn't win a show but for a daily car it is definitley mint.

That's one funny looking i. I might be tempted to paint that little section black. Go in there with a fine tipped art brush?

I might be tempted to paint that little section black.

Yeah, when I saw the update on the email notification I didn't feel like replying but yeah I agree.

Honestly I wouldn't even use it, the emblem on a whole looks horrible. Either paint the whole thing black to make it less noticeable, or leave it off IMO.

Or cut out some portions.

img-332823-1-P1010270.jpg

The black parts could either be black, or trimmed off.

Going to black out around the edges and spaces. Im going to spray it (trick masking skills - I mean swearing and cutting tape for 45 mins.) Probably start on it tomorrow.

man your car looks alot like mine. which makes me like it that much more! lol

is that a FoHa wing? it looks alot like mine. but has a slightly different shape to it on the ends then mine.