93-97 626 Body Kits

To date there are only 2 full body kits available for the 93-97 626. The Invader and Titan. The Invader is just a bunch of ridiculousness as every piece on that kit is flared out so wide that you almost have to walk a foot around the car. The Titan is a bit classier but is dropped far too low for my taste. It's hard to find a nice no frills kit that focuses on bringing out the contours of the car more than twisting and warping them to hell and back. Plus the worst part is that both kits ditch the factory fog light ports which on a 626 is almost heresy because of how hard they are to get in the first place. It shows that these body kit companies aren't in touch with the enthusiast communities. The 626 is a classy car not a rice mobile.

So I whipped out photoshop and started to lay down some ideas. I started with the Invader image from Extreme Dimensions website. The image itself is of such low quality that it was hard to do anything realistic. There was heavy image compression put on the image so had to clean that up first.

img-314866-1-93_626vaderfront.jpg

I really love how it molds the bumper into one piece so wanted to capitalize on that as a starting point. Used images from my own fog light ports. Used a product image of mesh grill for the center, cut and added drop shadow to make it a little more realistic. By no means is this what I want my kit to look like (if I ever get one) but it's a good starting point for the design. I really love how this design keeps the fog lights in case you already have them. Not sure if it's the exact placement needed but it's pretty close to give you an idea anyway.

img-314866-2-93-97_Recognizer_Front.jpg

Now this one is more in line of what I'd want on my car. Something that still says I'm a 626 and proud of it yet adds to the styling with a lower lip to hide a larger radiator or intercooler. If you want rice there are 2 kits available from BodyKits.com... if you want classy sport then it's high time the 626 got a kit like this (my opinion). This is the kind of kit that I'd be proud to show up at a Mazda Meet strapped on my car.

Couldn't manage to show a curl on the lip. Most of the kits I'm seeing have large protrusion that scoop air that goes nowhere and is utterly stupid. Curling the lip under the car like it is in the stock design allows for more aerodynamics which I think is more practical as it's more geared towards MPG's than 1/4 mile times. People that are looking for better performance won't be adding body kits because they want to lighten the load not increase it so the whole idea of body kits with wings and scoops is just dumb (unless it's directing towards the intercooler).

img-314866-3-93-97_Recognizer2_Front.jpg

Maybe these kit companies can take a look here and get some kind of idea what a classy body kit should look like instead of the "i wanna make my car look faster than it really is and get raped at the fuel pump due to horrible MPG" crap. The 2011 Lamborghini front looks very similar to this one. The 626 is by no means on the same level as a Lamborghini so it's just a lame attempt to be more than the car really is. It is important to keep the large mesh grill in the front in case people want to add intercoolers and turbo setups without worrying about debris damage.

Since the 626 body design doesn't differ between I4 and V6 on 93-97 something like this would do very nicely for a KLZE car that needs a lot of airflow to break that stock 200hp ceiling. It would be a nice subtle option for millions of 626's still on the road.

Id better start from scratch if i where you:)

Use cardboard and cloth to make a thin mold, and then fiberglass on the outside. Not much more work than making that crap there look good :rolleyes:

I would like to but how to make it symmetrical would be the biggest concern.

Easy :)

First take some styrofoam, and glue it to the metal in the front,a fter removing the bumper. Then measure up the centre, and a few symertrical point scatered out on the styrofoam.

Then make a cardboard model of the bumper profile in the centre of the bumper, and stick it into the styrofoam and work your way out to one side with 1-5cm distance between each cardboard layer. When you have modeled half the front in cardboard, write numbers on them, take em all out and copy them. Reinforce all the edges and a bit onto the cardboard itself with duckttape. Then place them out so you have both sides molded.

Then take a sheet of filt cloth (thats the norwegian name for it atleast) and soak it in polyester resin. then stretch it out over your cardboard mold and let it dry, you should now have a very crude mold of the bumper.

If you want to get it even better, you can glue styrofoam parts between the cardboard and shape it with a sharp knife, untill you get a good shape. The cardboard should help you get it symetrical when you do it like this. Then cover the styrofoam with tape or plastic film before aplying the polyester soaked cloth. Some types of foam melt when it comes in contact with the polyester resin/hardner.

the absence of a body kit here in the Philippines prompted me to develop or adopt one for the 626 hatchback based on the Mazdaspeed design for the Familia/323/Protege BH. the kit includes chin, side skirts and rear skirts.

Photo-0014.jpg

post-27795-0-93983600-1305280587_thumb.j

Yeah great job bonestock. I would rather have a 1 piece that replaces the 2 piece front bumper. If that requires me to build my own so be it. You've done very well for yourself. I'm not a fan of the front flip kits but knowing that you did it yourself I give you a great amount of respect. Congrats for it looking so nice. You did a great job of it. Thanks for the tips. Clay seems the way to get much cleaner results than working with foam. I'll use foam for the filler but for modeling there's nothing like clay. Imagine I'll need quite a lot of it. Got any recommendations?

KLZE without turbo I would imagine someone would make use of more airflow. You could use half for the rad and half for forced induction using the high pressure area. A large grill like that would definitely help turbo/intercooler setups but I imagine more could be done without the need of turbo. Maybe I'm too optimistic?

I dunno, there are a lot of guys making some big numbers with PGT's that have stock front bumpers. I'd think that it's even more stifled on that design as it doesn't have an entrance at the top, like the 626 does through the grill.

img-315214-1-93113361991102-480.jpg

I don't think anyone's ever 'upgraded' to a body kit for more air flow. The guys that are serious about that just cut holes in their stock bumpers. Notice the front of the Miata.

img-315214-2-IMG_1395_1.jpg

I'm just not a big fan of body kits. There are extremely few cars that can pull it off effectively, imo.

KLZE without turbo I would imagine someone would make use of more airflow. You could use half for the rad and half for forced induction using the high pressure area. A large grill like that would definitely help turbo/intercooler setups but I imagine more could be done without the need of turbo. Maybe I'm too optimistic?

Nah, it would not :) Only point is to get it colder (colder air = more air per volum), or make a ram intake or what its called. Like a funnel going in from the front and straight to the intake.

The intake, and partialy the vris, works to get as much air into the engine as possible, and thus be able to get more fuel and more power.

The way its done on NA engines is to make the air in the intake runners move very fast, so that when the valve open, alot of air flows into it, and compresses itself when the cylinder is full. The faster the airflow is, the more air will get in. Then you add the VRIS, or Variable Resonance Induction System as its called, which basicly does two things:

- Firstly, it gives you a longer intake runner on low rpms. Longer intake will increase the speed of the intake air, and force more air into the engine, resulting in low end power. When you get on high RPM they open the shorter and bigger runners to make sure the engine gets all the air it needs.

- Secondly, it works somewhat like when you blow on the top of bottle or pan flute to make sound. The resonance caused by the air in the intake runners (or bottle/flute) will make a standing pressure wave, like the sound coming from a speaker. When blowing on a bottle or flute, this wave will be heard as a tone.

This pressure wave will give pulses of dense air (more air per volum) and thin air (less mass per volum). The trick here, is to time it so that the high pressure wave hits the cylinder when the valves open, and close them again before the thin airwave reach the cylinder. This way, the VRIS works like a mini supercharger.

if the sound explenation is hard to grasp, think of normal waves on the sea. The wavetop is above the average waterlevel, and the wavebottom is under it. If you want to collect as much water as you can, you want to trap every wavetop, but not the bottom. Making a watertrap that opens right before a wavetop hits, and then close it again before the wavebottom hits will increase the average waterlevel inside each time. Just like cylinder will have more air.

So basicly, the bodykit got very little to say in terms of power, as long as its not sealed.

More important is a proper Cold air intake. A proper one means its actually getting cold air, not air from inside the engine compartment, since this is heated by the radiator and heat from the downpipes.

This would probably mean that you need to cut.

Also, as i mentioned, you can make a ram intake, wher you make a funnel or something where one of the foglighs should be, and force this air into the intake. This will at high speeds make a light supercharge, since the air will be slightly compressed. I reckon you have seen some cars who is missing one of the frontlights? this is to get both the ram effect and proper cold air straight to the intake by placeing the airfilter where the light should be.

At one point I wanted to make a sort of ram intake by putting piping up from the fog light hole to the filter, but the general consensus was that I'd have to be traveling well over 100mph to see any kind of gains from it.

I read in a thread a long time ago about a guy that said he and some friends rigged up a leaf blower to blow straight into the intake on a Neon while they were drunk. They dynoed it and it gained only 4 whp, and leaf blowers move air at some serious speeds, like close to 200mph. That's the difference between a fan and a turbo right there.

I'm a DJ. I'm extremely familiar with resonance frequencies, sine, square, and saw waves. ;) Forgot the VRIS had the extra little butterfly valves. Well not sure if that's what they are but when reading the manual on the V6 that's how I imagined them to work. Imagine when the intake manifold is full it's pretty hard to ram more through the throttle body anyway without forced induction from a turbo. If the leaf blower was effective I'd certainly try it. Sounds like fun.

I'm just not a big fan of body kits. There are extremely few cars that can pull it off effectively, imo.

I completely agree which is why I'm trying to help design something a bit more tasteful for the 626. I didn't say I was succeeding thus far. It's a start. By all means your input is valuable. I'd rather have something that you would be proud to see myself or any other 626 owner with. Sounds like that might be a harder thing to do than I imagined. Anything worth doing is worth doing right so I'll keep at it.

I was always under the assumption that body kits main purpose was for additional air for the intercooler compared to stock. Also under the assumption that non-turbo cars could capture or "steal" some of that air with a custom made scoop or by enlarging the stock scoop. From the images you've posted you pretty much shattered what I thought a high performance car would need in terms of airflow. In that respect body kits are just for ken dolls who want to play dress up. There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve upon the aesthetic qualities of something you own. I think that's admirable as long as it's done with tact but as far as a kit made for non-turbo cars... going to have to completely rethink that now. Thanks for shattering my dreams once again. :P

Great Job bonestock, looks nice and clean. How much would it cost to fabricate and ship to U.S.? Would it fit on the 00-02 626?

thanks. im not sure if it will fit the 00-02 626 as it never came out in the Phils.

Yeah great job bonestock. I would rather have a 1 piece that replaces the 2 piece front bumper. If that requires me to build my own so be it. You've done very well for yourself. I'm not a fan of the front flip kits but knowing that you did it yourself I give you a great amount of respect. Congrats for it looking so nice. You did a great job of it. Thanks for the tips. Clay seems the way to get much cleaner results than working with foam. I'll use foam for the filler but for modeling there's nothing like clay. Imagine I'll need quite a lot of it. Got any recommendations?

thanks djdevon3. img-315226-1-rolleyes.gif

i would assume that when you say 'foam' you mean styrofoam? if so, i also tried working with it but dissolves when you apply the polyester resin for the fiberglass mat. And i find it hard to stick it onto the bumper and difficult to manipulate. however, i recently learned from my fiberglass of a product that is applied on the surface of the styrofoam that hardens when applied and makes it impervious to the polyester resin.

How much for the 93-97 then in case anyone wants one? I wouldn't be against one either but trying to weigh my options for building my own.

these are the prices for the body kit for 93-97 626 (GE)

chin spoiler - USD120

side skirts - USD 150 per pair

rear skirts - USD 80 per pair

prices exclude shipping

i also make copy body kits for the ff using the Mazdaspeed design:

Mazda familia/protege (95-97) BH chassis

Mazda familia/protege (98-99) BH chassis

i also have specific design for bumper of 323 (BG chassis)

i will post some pics later on.

In terms of performance, big intake = high drag. You want to leave the air as untouched as you can, using the bare minimum for cooling, and downforce.

If you are gona make a new kit, i recomend looking at other cars from the same time period and with the same form language to get inspiration.

By foam I mean the expanding kind. I figured that would be the easiest way to make a form mold of the current bumper. I would really rather not have to work the existing bumper. Probably be a better idea to find some parts to play with from the junkyard. Maybe that's just adding an unnecessary step? Expanding foam seems fairly easy to pickup, 1 can will do about half a bumper, and can be shaved or cut to form. Clay is nice and all but requires a nice spot to do it. I don't really have a lot of room other than my yard to work on the car so space is an issue. Foam I could leave outside. Clay not so much.

Thanks for the advice Zepticon. I am aiming to keep it minimal. Mostly just want to merge the 2 front bumper pieces into 1 solid and add a hint of styling, nothing dramatic.

I did a bit of looking and didn't find much. I can't really think of any other cars that have similar body lines, since our gen is so roundy... Maybe the MX6?

What if you made your own, taking inspiration from this, or something similar, or actually found one and grafted it on?

img-315277-1-14sk2.jpg

img-315277-2-29dr.jpg

I did a bit of looking and didn't find much. I can't really think of any other cars that have similar body lines, since our gen is so roundy... Maybe the MX6?

What if you made your own, taking inspiration from this, or something similar, or actually found one and grafted it on?

img-315283-1-14sk2.jpg

img-315283-2-29dr.jpg

i like the lines of this MX6. too bad it wasn't released here in the Phils.

Do you think the MX6 hood and front bumpers can be swapped onto a 626? I actually found an MX-6 in my local junkyard. They just got it in last week.

With work, yes. Direct bolt on, I doubt it. That would be pretty cool to have an MX6 front on a 626, though.