djdevon3

Stainless Header & Downpipe M2

34 posts in this topic

Mazda 626 93-97 2.0L Stainless Header & Downpipe Manufactured by M2

Fits: Mazda 626 93-97 2.0L (4 cylinder ONLY)

$145 US w/free shipping

$(KGrHqYOKioE0sKbl8P+BNbcC2Qkdg~~_12.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some more research it looks like the same exact header/downpipe kit is being sold for 93-97 MX-6/Ford Probe 2.0L for about 50% less than M2 is selling for (about $70 including shipping). M2 is the only ebay seller than is advertising them for Mazda 626 and thus automatically tacking on 50% higher price for no reason. The M2 header kit has been confirmed to install without problem.

$(KGrHqR,!lQE2EDMImZ3BNnkY+R56g~~0_12.GIF

Here is a current listing for the 93-97 Ford Probe 2.0L. These are commonly known as eBay headers because they are being sold by a variety of sellers (some claiming they produce the kit themselves which of course is a lie). Most of the images and all of the designs are exactly the same just rebranded.

Here's another seller image provided for the Ford Probe 2.0L kit. This one shows the outlet is 2" and I believe the stock 2.0L exahust system is 1.5" but a member here said his bolted right up with no problem so not sure what to make of that.

img-312373-3-eBay_Header_Downpipe.jpg

Most sellers list the kit for about $25-$30 with about $35-$40 of shipping for a total cost of about $70-$80 shipped. Ford Probe kit is the better listing to shoot for on ebay. This is only for 93-97 owners. I can't make any claims for older or newer models. There are V6 kits available as well for our years. The Ford Probe is an exact replica of our FS engine. Any header made for the 93-97 MX-6 or Ford Probe 2.0L will fit on a 93-97 626 2.0L.

Here's the Bosal header. They list the material as "Mild/Ceramic". Which is better stainless or ceramic? The picture looks more like aluminum.

img-312440-1-111-252.jpg

Anyone have experience with this Bosal exhaust system?

img-312440-2-112-202.jpg

I was thinking of combining the M2 header/downpipe in the first post with the Bosal exhaust. Thoughts?

those are not the same. note the different runner lengths there on the primary and secondary as well as the use of a flex pip and not a swivel joint. My experience with those 'ebay' header sets on a different car were positive, however the flex section rasps due to poor quality (mine did atleast).

Darn this 98 with the extra converter :P

Sorry didn't mean the same as in exactly the same. Fixed the post. It should still be spec'd right to hook into the rest of the exhaust system. The distance to the angle arms has to be the same.

Rasp? Can you elaborate what a rasp is? When I think of rasp I think of a leak or do you just mean it sounds poor. I like the way my car sounds now with the CAI and factory exhaust. Sounds just fine to me. I wouldn't want to have a weaker sound if anything I'm hoping to get a little better low end sound to it.

Well BosalPerformance.com is out of the question. I tried contacting them through their website (which hasn't been updated since 2004) and their contact form fails with a perl script message. Horrible website. They probably went out of business because no one is certainly able to contact them through their site and they don't have a telephone # or address.

Bosal.com is still active but again can't use their contact us page. Does this company even want people to buy their stuff geez. Forget Bosal they are headquartered out of Belgium with satellite offices in the U.K. and Ireland. Nothing in the U.S. anymore that I can tell.

Anyone know what I could hook up to that M2 downpipe to make for a good exhaust system?

I bought a header off e-bay about three years ago. I'm about to put the factory stuff back on. I want to put my other O2 sensor back on the car. It didn't make that much of an improvement to me anyway.

What about reliability. Are these going to last or do I have to worry about them corroding off my car in a couple years? Is it a smart move to buy the M2 kit?

My header is still lasting, but it looks horrible!

Can you take some pics of what they look like now? If it wasn't for the O2 sensor would you keep them on?

Check some of the pics of the engine compartment that I just put up. If that's not enough, I'll take some more for you. and I probably would keep them if I didn't have the O2 situation going, if for nothing else but the fact that I don't really want to switch them back out.

Pics where? I checked your garage and even on your cardomain site. I don't see anything new. Link?

I should have some. If not, I'll take some.

Check some of the pics of the engine compartment that I just put up. If that's not enough, I'll take some more for you. and I probably would keep them if I didn't have the O2 situation going, if for nothing else but the fact that I don't really want to switch them back out.

Found the pics on your site myself, looks like that setup will allow for use of the cat if I want to? As far as the o2 sensor simulator - ebay seems to have blocked them, and it looks like nobody is selling them anymore that I can find. Anybody know where they can be gotten for less than an arm and a leg these days?

That's why I'm just putting the stock stuff back on. And yeah, you can keep the secondary cat or a test pipe (I've had both. Got a cat there now).

I may have an O2 simulator that I'm not going to use. I'll check and let you know.

I'm a little confused. I thought the 4cyl didn't have the 2nd O2 sensor. Thought only the V6 had the secondary. Am I wrong? Will this header and downpipe not work as a stock replacement? I really need to get some ramps so I can get more familiar with my underbody.

The V6 actually has 3 O2 sensors if I remember correctly. And yep, the 4-cyl. does have two of them. Any car '96 and above is suppose to.

I have a 95 so I'm immune to the double O2 virus. :P I need to get under there and do some inspecting. This makes me want to lose weight. I can't fit under my car.

LOL! I can, with the help of some good jackstands.

That's awesome Nick. Glad everything went well. I take it you never tried to get a refund and snag a kit from a probe listing. I've updated the first post here and hopefully members of the future wont be subjected to price gouging just because we have a Mazda 626 instead of a Ford Probe. As long as you're happy with them that's all that counts. Can you get some pics and maybe a video for us?

Do you have to use it with the heat shield off? One thing I noticed is most if not all of the ebay headers don't have the bolt holes for the heat shield. Also read it's bad to add heat wrap. Hows the heat output? Any unforeseen issues with mounting or O2 sensors?