Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Man, that one got me right in the car feels. The pictures you've been taking are really nice, but seeing a car in motion is just different, and I'm fumbling for words. It just looks fantastic. 

The way it goes over bumps and undulations in the road really makes me miss my 626.

Nice work, Leev. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man, I appreciate that. It's very tight and sensitive on the road, I think it's a touch too light for how stiff it now is.
Someday I'll properly weight balance it.

 

Camera car in the video is my friend Jim in his mark 4 supra, lol. I can kinda keep up with his stock-ish mark 3, but his twin turbo 2JZ walks right past me.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second that motion.  This car is awesome.  I love older cars that don't go crazy on mods (staying at least kind of stock) but put a few little touches on that make it stand out.  You should be really proud of the work you have done to get it to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't bumped this since november? Wow...

 

Well I'm not dead..

 

Recently installed:

FMIC, charge piping and intake redone. T-bolt clamps.

MSD 6al box w/ tach adapter. Temporary install location.

Full 2.5 stainless mandrel exhaust, 2.5 dual outlet Spintech muffler.

$15 fog lights painted with Krylon 'stained glass, canary yellow'

Yonaka front coilovers installed. Rears going on eventually.

03-05 Mazda 6 front brake upgrade in progress. Almost ready for install.

Euro spec two tone side mirrors.

 

 

IMG_20170411_211244389.jpg

IMG_20170505_165552650.jpg

IMG_20170430_175738490.jpg

 

 

Old OEM rotor I had lying around, next to Rockauto special Mazda 6 rotor. (2X drilled slotted rotors for $80) Meh.

IMG_20170505_160856955.jpg

IMG_20170505_160934315.jpg

IMG_20170506_153926994.jpg

IMG_20170506_161242302.jpg

 

 

More to come probably. Lots left to do, a couple things in the works.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How have you been, man?  I meant to reply to your easter Domino's post, and forgot.

How do you like the coilovers in the front?  Do you plan to do a brake proportioning valve with the M6 front brakes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yonakas were a substantial improvement from the GC+KYBs. I like them very much.

It's been a complicated week, this happened friday night:

 

In the middle of the turn, the driver side front wheel locks up and no correcting affected anything. Couldn't save it.

 

Damage: Driver side subframe, hub, control arm, camber plate, caliper, wheel, tire.

Replaced: Driver side subframe, hub, control arm.

 

 

IMG_20170509_133636023.jpg

IMG_20170509_142323017.jpg

IMG_20170509_133611590.jpg

IMG_20170509_133645565.jpg

 

 

A lot left to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really fail at updating, sorry.

 

Regarding the crash;

My best guess, and from what I found, the front left wheel locked up. The caliper somehow lost the top bolt and rotated against the wheel (I think). There was a deep gouge in the rotor. Something locked up. You can hear the one tire squealing in the video, I wasn't braking after I felt it slip, but one wheel was.

 

Stopping power has increased, and it feels okay. However, I still have clapped out drums in the back.

I have new rear rotors, bearings and seals waiting. I'll do a rear disk swap very soon.

 

The head gasket blew (or headbolts just stretched) maybe 2 months ago while trying to stay neck and neck with a MKIII supra.. But it made very little impact on 'driveability', as the coolant wasn't mixing yet, and it just drank a jug of coolant every one/two weeks or so.

 

Last saturday it finally mixed and was smoking at idle. I had to get to work on sunday so I drove on it, but monday morning I started the head swap. 10-4 two days, all done.

-Good, reman head, new gasket (duh)

-ARP head studs

-Colt Tri-Flow cam

 

Compressing, removing, and reinstalling dual valve springs with even a pretty good dedicated tool, is a nightmarish hellscape. I never want to do it again. I'm paying a cylinder head shop to do it. Takes me 1 hour to do one cylinder, 3 springs. (compress, remove, swap, compress, reinstall).

 

Those tiny valve keepers can go ahead and #### themselves.

 

 

Only pictures I took:

IMG_20170522_122331967.jpg

IMG_20170523_113759695.jpg

IMG_20170523_143724267.jpg

IMG_20170523_160421641.jpg

 

 

It's back to full health. But I probably didn't mention the headgasket in the first place.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...