Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Bigjames02

I Switched Tires And...

I took the mx-6 wheels and tires a couple years ago and put them on my 626. Well, recently my girlfriends 626 blew a transmission(just take a guess on what model). Anyway, I put the wheels and tires from that car onto mine since the tires were brand new...ever since then i've noticed that my brakes shudder when i hit them and it causes the steering wheel to shudder too. I've never had this happen, so I was wondering where to start looking.

Could it be the tires are out of balance? Or maybe out of round?

Sorry for my ignorance, just looking for a step in the right direction.

Yes this is the first thing to try if you have this shuddering problem while driving-check balance and alignment. Usually out of balance tires vibration increases with speed significantly- the faster you go, the more pronounced you get.

If the problem persist you may want to have the brakes and the suspension checked for wear.

Are you sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth? I am talking about the wheel to rotor surface, for example.

Also, There is a very annoying sound coming from the tires as I increase speed, sounds like a wobble or blub blub . It starts around 50 and gets louder as i go faster.

I'm gonna try to rotate the tires and see if that helps...

darn I've got the same exact situation in my 626.

I bought the car a month ago, and it had horrible shuddering when I hit the brakes, and a blub-blub sound when going over 30-40 mph.

I thought I had warped rotors, or messed up tires, so first I checked out my front tires... the nuts were on so tight I needed a long breaker bar to break them loose. I thought maybe they were overtorqued or improperly torqued. I switched the front wheels and tires onto the rear and the rears onto the front cuz the rears had just been balanced. now the balanced ones were on the front. I put the nuts to 80 lbs.

lo and behold... the shuddering was gone. almost completely, for about a week.

then I had to take the front wheels off ....tire needed a patch.

put wheel back on carefully. ....and darn. the shuddering came back. I had put the wheel back on very carefully!

I have no explanation for this!!!!

It's weeks already and the car shudders like crazy when I hit the brakes and I'll swear that the problem was almost completely gone for a whole week! even at 70mph there was no shuddering during that week!!!

Well I got the tires balanced but it's still making the same thudding noise as i increase speed, and the shuddering still occurs when i hit the brakes.

Any suggestions?

it could be a broke belt in the tire(s). are the directional (arrows indicating direction of rotation) ? sometimes even if they aren't and you switch / change direction of rotation this can occur..

It's possible the tires came off of a car with bad alignment and they have been warped as a result. I remember my old car ('87 mazda 626) would have issues where it would have bad alignment and then after a while the tires would sound like they were from a 4x4 truck. If you feel the tread on the tire, you might feel what I would describe as small, diagonal waves in the rubber. The same issue happened with my Ford truck. It had bad alignment, and it sounded very loud when driving. After the alignment and rotating the tires, the sound has been much less (probably because of rotating the tires).

that's kinda what i was talking about as it can happen in several different ways.inspect the tire as described but a problem isn't always visible .

Hi. have you checked your ball joints? sometimes I encounter problems with my ball joint whenever I change my rims and tires. Just recently, when I installed my bf goodrich all terrain I experienced this same thing. Luckily, it is not a totally absurd matter. I was able to fix it in no time.

Hi. have you checked your ball joints? sometimes I encounter problems with my ball joint whenever I change my rims and tires. Just recently, when I installed my bf goodrich all terrain I experienced this same thing. Luckily, it is not a totally absurd matter. I was able to fix it in no time.

yes I did 6 months ago!