Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kenneth_777

Car Shuts Off While Driving

Can you guys point me in the right direction with this problem? My wifes car shut down on her while she was driving (luckily it was local). She had to come to a stop, put the car back in park, and start the engine up. This happened to her twice in one day, but since then it hasn't happened again. It's been roughly two weeks since this happened. Any advice guys?

(Mazda 626, V6, auto, year 2000)

There's probably a few hundred things that could be happening. You have to do some elimination work before we can start suggesting things. Do simple things like making sure battery connections are good and checking the alternator and battery voltage. Has the fuel filter been changed ? etc. It will probably be easier for us to guide you when you come back with the results.

i had a french car once.. Peugeot 307.. it was constantly overcharging and shortages in the electrics were usual.. :D

check the onboard voltage.. i guess it's only related to the electrics.. or the V6 typical fault kicks in - the distributor. Expensive to replace, but using some Chryslers chips, it's mendable with about $30. I had my V6 running on that system about 2 years.

the distributor can leave you roadside instantly.

ior the V6 typical fault kicks in - the distributor. the distributor can leave you roadside instantly.

Not just a V6 (unless you're referring to your Peugot). My I4 had the same problem. Started affer a few minutes, but literally died while driving.Remarkably, even after replacement of distributor, it STILL did it! Turned out the car just diidn't like the rebuilt product that was put in, and we had to get a brand-new one from Mazda. That solved the problem..but it was disconcerting and even dangerous for a while.

It's a 2000 model, so no distributor.

I'd start by checking the basics....is the gas crappy? When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs or ignition wires?

ior the V6 typical fault kicks in - the distributor. the distributor can leave you roadside instantly.

Not just a V6 (unless you're referring to your Peugot). My I4 had the same problem. Started affer a few minutes, but literally died while driving.Remarkably, even after replacement of distributor, it STILL did it! Turned out the car just diidn't like the rebuilt product that was put in, and we had to get a brand-new one from Mazda. That solved the problem..but it was disconcerting and even dangerous for a while.

wow.. haven't heard that.. over here, only the V6 is having these problems..

hmm.. back on the topic.. check the plugs.. the distributorless system is intended to use Iridium plugs.. but they cost money (about $20 a piece) and very often people just replace them with regular ones and forget about them. Iridium is meant for 60k miles and the regular ones only 20k mi. The ignition gap is also vital. Using these regular plugs for a long time, it really could kill the coil pack eventually.. I've seen some Fords with regular plugs and they die in about 25k mi. So i'm guessing that this could be the reason right now. Check the wires and replace the plug if necessary. If then no signs of life, move on to the pack..

The regular copper plugs in our cars generally last around 40k miles. Platinum plugs are rated for about 80k miles, and iridium plugs for about 100k miles.

I've never gotten less than about 35k miles out of a set of conventional plugs before the car started having occasional misfires. It probably might be worse if the fuel is more corrosive (which may be the case with the more common ethanol blends sold these days), or if you get more oil fouling, etc.