Flea

Fault Code P1744

7 posts in this topic

I'm getting the p1744 fault code on 99 626 2.0L which my code reader indicates is "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Mechanical Fault".

Where is the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid and how do I replace it? Is it replacable without pulling the trans or trans pan? Can anyone point me to drawings, photos or videos on how to do this?

TIA

Flea

9 times out of ten it's a wiring problem...if you're very unlucky, then it's an internal problem! See attached (and if nothing is attached you'll have to PM me with your e-mail addy as I've been having problems uploading files the past few days.)

Hello, I'm having the exact same issue, same care. My tranny got progressively worse and now its just out completely. The shop told me this was the code. You said 9/10 times is a wiring problem? Did you mean that just if it's reading the code but no apparent problem? Thanks!

This is an old thread so I hope someone is still watching....

I have a 1999 Mazda 626 LX.  I have it because it only has 80K miles on it and is in great shape (little old lady to church thing).  Recently a blown tire ripped up the wiring harness.   I was able to replace and fix damaged wires by pulling out a harness from the junkyard.    Turned out great and runs good.    Having said that, now the  P1744 code is on and the shifting is a little off.    As Sage99 said everything I have seen suggests it is a wiring problem meaning I missed a damaged wire or something.    I have no idea which of the 30 wires it is or where to look.   Sage99, you mention a diagram.  Is it a wiring diagram?  

Thanks.   Any other input or help you can give is much appreciated.

Make sure it's topped off with transmission fluid to the correct level.  Low ATF will exhibit symptoms of a failing transmission however it usually won't set a TCC solenoid code for that.  Once you see a TCC solenoid code it means your transmission is likely on the way out (full ATX rebuild in your near future).

I'm going to replied old thread, I've been having issue with trans. P1744 I found my fluid is gone, Because 6 months ago I was 1500 miles from home working,, time came to go home threw my little 5lbs yorkies in car and I got out on I-40 about 30 miles and trans dropped axle on drivers side. So I had it towed back to airport and rent car and drove 1500 miles home.

So months later I came back to fix car it had a bad bushing on drivers side and axle that blew up was a rebuilt(don'  buy rebuilts)so it beat bushing up to where it wouldn' hold axle in. I went to WIT and got a bushing, bought a AZ axle (new)new seal put it all back together and went for test drive before I hit road , The trans was stuck in 3rd gear then it started jumping up and down in gears and it finally set some codes, and I didn' bring my factory scan tool(NGS) but did bring my modded Elm327( HS/MS) but I didn' have a windows tablet so I could use FORSCAN. I have P0756, P0751, P1506, P1744. The first 2 are A&B Solenoids turned OFF, next is IAC and Torque converter < Fluid level added fluid made 1744 go away, 1506 I'm guessing that's cause the trans being locked in 3rd gear..

So trans was working just fine before axle came out but it sat for 4-5 months all the full drained valve body, battery was brand new in March of 17, but it was dead, took 2 days to get it back up to 12.5vcc , so it just blows my mind that the trans went bad, I built it about 1 1/2 years ago CD4E are bad on Bushings. I don' know much about auto trans I had a book and mic dail calipers and a long table ! IF Anyone knows what could make a trans turn off the solenoid pack I could use the help, I got new solenoids and will install tomorrow but I'm thinking I'm doing the wrong thing.

Also is there a computer just for the trans, I know the ECM is a pain to get at and if there is a TCM it's probably in same place as the ECM,

HELP, I've put a small fortune in this car and I hate to have it hauled off to junk yard . I need help,I'm starting to panic...