Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mikaila31

Repairing Body Rust

So after years of procrastination I think I'm finally gonna fix this thing. My car is pretty rust free except for this one stupid spot. The whole underbody has been sprayed with a rust stop/rubber compound a couple times in its life. I resprayed a lot of the underbody last fall after scraping off the old stuff. There is a little surface rust and one of my exhaust clamps rusted out recently. But I think its done pretty good for going through 10 WI/MN winters. But this is body rust... whats the best way to fix this? I'm assuming at this point its going to have to be cut out and somehow replaced? Its on the rear wheel well, and is just to the point where its going into the door jam a little with bubbly paint. I remember when I was given the car it was like a thumb nail sized spot... well live and let learn I guess. :unsure:

img-300056-1-P1140771.jpg

I've seen builds where people fixed it. You have to cut out the infected area with a cutoff wheel or something. Then you weld new metal in, prime it, etc. I don't think it's something you can tackle without the proper tools and knowledge (not saying you don't have them, I don't know).

this foxy rust can be sneaky.. about 2 yrs ago when i got my car, we went to the forest and i drove over a tree root or smth.. it made a dent, at the time i left it like that.. now, 2 yrs later, i've got no sidekirt on that side :lol:

the best version would be that you replace it.. I've seen some "there-i-fixed-it" moments, when people just put some epoxy over it, sand it and spray it over and then after 2-3 months, they wonder why it fell off suddenly.. the most popular thing over this side of Atlantic, is filling body with foam :lol: all the rust is taken off (not removed completely), then some filling, some paint and presto! "very low mileage, 1 owner"-car! and when the rain starts to fall, body panels just melt away .. LOL..

Well I finally got down to business today! I just used the dremel and a lot of cut-off discs to get rid of the infected metal. Then sanded the paint away from the edges. I bought some galvanized sheet metal this evening and will probably work on shaping tomorrow. So far the plan is to lay a little primer on some of the bare metal, shape the new piece as best I can to original shape. Then it will be pop-riveted to the back piece of metal (I think :unsure: ). Then use some Bondo and do the normal finishing touches.

img-303203-1-P1170091.jpg

HAHA thats quiet funny, since I'm female ;). And yes the rest of the body is in great shape for a 11 year old car. If I didn't cut it out it would just rust out in a few more years.

Lots of work to shape this silly piece of metal, but I got it pretty damn close IMO. Should be closer once I get it riveted to the car.

img-303234-1-P1170093.jpg

you know if you had the resources to go to a salvage yard you could cut a piece out of another 626 but then there would still be body filler work to do. your doing a good job , keep updating.;)

Oh

My

Goodness...

Are you single by any chance?

But srsly,

You have my total respect.

LOL, for some odd reason I am.

To my great annoyance The Power That Be was not satisfied with my metal work :( . So 3rd try is the charm as they say. According to Him my notching was wrong. I notched the bottom, when I should of done the top. That way I had a nice smooth piece of metal running along the edge of the wheel well. Its defiantly much stronger this way, figures I did it wrong..... :dry:

Hope to rivet it in tomarrow, but He will be gone. If I have time I will do it. He was blah blahing about laying punches in the metal along the lip of the wheel well. IDK if I'm going to get that picky. Also He didn't think I could get a rivet on the top edge, but I'm pretty damn sure I can. I practiced riveting random crap together yesterday. I guess time will tell how my first attempt at body repair turns out

Apparently we have almost every tool(except a welder, but they are scary). I've been in this house 10 damn years and just today learn we have a machine buffer. That may sound silly, but I never knew we had one. I mean they pay you to clean and detail an SUV and never tell you this stuff.

This is my new piece of metal.

img-303271-1-P1170102.jpg

okay progressing smoothly so far.

Pop rivets in place, before riveting the new piece in. They hold that thing in there pretty damn tight. You can grab that piece and wiggle the whole car with it barely flexing.

img-303292-1-P1170105.jpg

Now my rough Bondo Job, I'm waiting for it to dry so I can start sanding ATM. I attempted some feathering of paint. However this car has been painted before(same color). The outside has two layers the door jam has the normal one layer. By layers I mean it goes primer, color, clearish coat, primer, color, clear coat on the outside of the car :lol: . Was kinda a PITA to get the outside smoothed out.

img-303292-2-P1170110.jpg

I am so impressed. You tackled this like no problem, and I didn't even want to touch the rust on my miata, but if it's not too difficult, I dunno, I might reconsider. Probably not, haha.

Well sanded to almost perfection. Then I jacked it up and took the wheel off so it was easier to sand and prep for priming the back side of this area. I bought matching paint last year, this will be my first time using it on a large area. Hopefully its a close enough match and not too noticeable.

img-303390-1-P1170121.jpg

img-303390-2-P1170122.jpg

Excellent work. I suppose a welder wasn't at your disposal, so rivets were the only option?

*EDIT*

Just re-read the thread and noticed you mention you didn't have a welder. That answers that question.

I assume you will also be spraying a primer first?

We don't have a welder here. I could of had someone weld it for me, but it was a bit too far out the the way and we already had the rivets and everything else.

I like my shiny rotor too! Wheels were done last fall, new rotors, pads, front brake hoses. Then painted all the calipers, though you can't tell much anymore. Dad bought the rotors and pads and wouldn't let me pay him back for them. So far this year only replace the valve cover gasket and cat-back on exhaust, since it crapped out on me.

Its basically done now and looking great. Paint turned out good, though its a little too shiny with the new clearcoat on it. I will let it sit for a week before I scuff it up a bit. It was primed before the real painting, primer was sanded smooth. Then 3 coats of color, sanded a little, 4th coat of color. Then a couple layers of the clear stuff. I edged my masking tape back a little for each layer to try to avoid the lines. I still have some lines, from clear coat and base coat does not match perfectly. Its pretty damn close though. I will post a full car pic tomorrow after it gets cleaned.

img-303446-1-P1170126.jpg

img-303446-2-P1170124.jpg

img-303446-3-P1170128.jpg

Wow, that's really good. I'm sure I'm easily impressed since I don't know the first thing about body work. I'm sure no one will ever notice unless you point it out to them.

Did you do anything about the side in the inner wheel well?

It was covered with bondo and painted like the outside. It was not done as nicely as the outside, but all the bare metal, aluminum rivets and such are covered over. Once the paint sets for a couple weeks I will mask off the outside, sand the inside a little, and spray some undercoating on the inside.

wow it looks fantastic. where did you get your paint? did you use one of the prevail sprayers? like you said you can wait a bit (depending on what type of paint you used) and use light compound and buff it out.

Thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Paint came from AutomotiveTouchUp.com. I have a 12oz spray can that I bought over a year ago. I just used the spray cans to apply the paint.

It rained a ton last night so I got a free car wash.

img-303517-1-P1170129.jpg

man that looks good. i was wondering if they were any good. a wile back when i had to repaint my fender and front bumper cover i went to a local paint shop and had it ( mixed and used a Preval sprayer. they work good but id say it was more expensive (NU - Vintage Red on 95 mx6) that the paint you got. man i like the wheels on the 98s better than the 94s.

Prince Valorum, I think this is your kind of girl.You could tell her about wheels and cold air intakes, she could tell you about metal work.... Who knows where it might lead? Maybe a pair of matched 626s in the driveway..:rolleyes: