Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fallen4her02

18 Inch Rims?

Will I be able to fit 18x8'' rims on my 1997 mazda 626 or should I go with 16s or 17s. also what size tires should I get. Thanks for looking

depends on the offset of the 18's really. but in general, 18's are not a problem. people have done as big as 20's. but 18's are about the max you want to go safely. for a tire size, id do a 225/40/18 probably. but even that depends on the offset.

225/35-18 looks like this (with 35/35 lowering):

img-299881-1-IMG_1026.jpg

Wow, I didn't know you had 18's. The ones I've seen with rx8 rims look much bigger for whatever reason.

Its cus of the chrome edge that is between the tire and the spokes:)

yea. wheels with a lip visually look smaller. so the rx8 would look larger since its spokes go right up to the edge. its just how the eye see's it.

PrinceValorum, is that your fine white 626? Have you posted what sort of rims, size and size tires you have on it somewhere? Or, if not, can you provide me with said information? Looks excellent!

kinda fitting... i picked up a set of mazdaspeed3 18's last night. lol.

You have to post pics now! I'm having a difficult time envisioning if they'll go alright with the Mazda6 body style. I would have said a more open spoke design would look better, but I'll reserve judgment until I see them.

Yeah, Xeno, it looks like his RX8 wheels are chromed, but he said in his thread that he polished them by hand.

The RX8 wheels can come polished, it's just more expensive and most people didn't jump on it.

You have to post pics now! I'm having a difficult time envisioning if they'll go alright with the Mazda6 body style. I would have said a more open spoke design would look better, but I'll reserve judgment until I see them.

i got them for the tires, not even the rims. lol. brand new tires never even driven on. for the full set, $300 bux. i couldnt of found some replacement tires for my stock wheels at that price. im not a fan of the speed3 wheels at all, and never have been. but like i said, for the price, i wasnt really picky.

not a great pic. but at least one to give you an idea.

img-300059-1-1007.jpg

Wow, that angle makes it look waaay lower than before. ;) Those look a lot better than I thought they would. It's hard to go wrong with Mazda wheels on a Mazda.

well remember, i was tucking 2 inch's of the OEM wheels. :)

my plan has always been a set of rx8's for the mazda6. and in all truth, i still hope to find a set at some point. im kinda tempted to toss these speed3 wheels and tires on my 92 probe gt project. lol.

OK. I admit it. I'm an amateur. img-300163-1-unsure.gif

But are you guys telling me that I can go buy some excellent-looking MazdaSpeed3 or Mazda3 rims and tires(and there appear to be many on the MS3 forums) and stick 'em on my fine '94 626 and they'll fit?? Will it interfere with my speedometer? Handle better?

I've found a speed shop locally. Is that the place to go with the new rims and tires? Will they have to bend the wheel wells? What do I do with the old ones?

Depends. Obviousely tires usually wont fit of most other cars. But the wheels themselves usually will. And at worst, just need spacers to correct the offset.

Ok. I'm working on this to figure it out, so as not to bother you guys with basic questions. Not exactly my area of expertise. If there's anyone else who is weak on "spacers", here's a video that explains them.

But it still seems the sheet metal would have to be bent. Yes?

Mono, what's the offset on those MS3 wheels?

Steve, you'll be fine with something as "sunken" (far in towards the center of the car) as a 215/40 on a 17x7 wheel with +60 offset which is about as bad an offset as you can get. You know what these numbers mean, right? It's confusing at first, but quite simple once you break it down. I ran that on my stock suspension and I could fit a finger between the tire and my strut, but that was it. You'll probably need a better offset to fit 18" wheels, plus you don't want it to look like crap, anyway.

Use this site to see how different wheel sizes and offsets will fit in relation to others.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Use this site to see how much your speedometer will be off with different sizes of wheels and tires.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I've got my wheel to an effective +35 offset (same specs as above) in the front and they're not going to hit the fender. With low profile tires, you should be fine. You can see how they fit and all of the questions I asked when I did it. I write a ton (read: too much) and there's a ton of info on this thread. Not all of it's about wheels and fitment.;)

http://www.mazda626.net/topic/36875-i-need-to-get-flush/