Timing Belt Replacement

It should be a specific torque. I'll have to check my factory service manual. So, a torque wrench would be your best tool.

The problem is that I cant get it REAL tight by hand because the motor turns over. The only way to get it tighter would be air tools. I had to zip tie the handle of my breaker bar to the lower control arm and bump the starter to break it loose.

If it's a stick shift, put it in gear and set the parking brake, you can put plenty of torque on that way.

The bolt is designed such that the pulley perpetually tries to tighten itself, but alas there are no guarantees in life. I think it's supposed to be torqued down to something like 235 ft-lbs, but I don't know for certain.

I usually just set my impact wrench on ~3.5 (out of 4) at 110 PSI, and snug it up that way.

i need to do the same thing to my car now. did you use a post on this forum on how to do it or did you find an external link. if you remember it can you post the link so i can use it to

There is a link to a write up posted in this thread. Its the second or third post I think.

I got the cover off and am trying to lign up the cams before I takeoff the belt. I have turned the cams 5 complete rotations by hand and the mark on the crank has not even been close to aligning with the mark on the block. Should I lign up the crank and then just take the belt off, then rotate the cams to lign up with the marks? The 2 cams lign up with the marks, but when they are ligned up, the crank is WAY off.

EDIT- Ive gone 9 full rotations and the mark on the crank has not been visible when I stopped, any of the times.

Could be that the timing belt has already slipped. Your GF said that it was running poorly which indicates a slipped timing belt. Remove the timing belt and line up the mark. Do a google search for "Leska's timing belt" which will be a big help.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to get off the timing belt topic but would the timing belt cause misfire code po300, po306, po316, po303? The guy I bought the car from said it was the MAF sensor. I've only had it for a week and cleaned the sensor out with crc cleaner and no luck with the hesitation at accelerating. Any info would be great.

'02 626lx 2.5 v6 automatic

With multiple misfire codes I'd be checking plugs, wires and the coilpack. Lot's of info on this site on testing the coilpack. A vacuum leak in the intake or a failing airflow sensor are also possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys, I'm bumping my old thread...

This was my now-ex girlfriend's car. We broke up years ago but a couple of weeks ago I ran into her and she mentioned she bought a new car. I asked her about the mazda and she said her mechanic told her it needed a water pump and she wasn't willing to repair it. I offered to buy the car and did, for $600. 

Fast forward to this weekend. I purchased a timing belt kit on ebay that included the belt, water pump, both idler pulleys, tensioner pulley and tensioner. I tore it all down to the belt and was frustrated because I could not see any timing marks on the front (right) side case to line up with the cam pulley. 

There were two marks on the rear (left) side case, neither of which lined up with the mark on the pulley when the crank was at TDC. 

So, I marked the pulleys and case with a magic marker and pulled the belt off. 

I put the new tensioner, pulleys and belt on and all the marks seemed to be lined up. I put everything back together, changed the oil, refilled the coolant, and tried to start the car. It started right up and ran for about a second just fine, then it started tuning really rough and just kind of sputtered out. Now it will not start. I did plug all four plugs on top of the timing belt cover. 

This is just the worst feeling. It poured rain on me the entire time I did the work. Is there anything else I can try before I tear it back down again? Where is the timing mark on the front case and which mark on the rear case do I line up with the mark on the pulley?

Ok I tore it back down . I cant see how to time the rear cam. I can only see one mark on the pulley but there are two marks on the case. Where do I line up the yellow mark on the cam? 

20160529_135339_zpsap7kmdtt.jpg

I figured it out. The rear cam timing was WAY off, about 17 teeth. There was so much dirt on the pulley that I couldn't see the two other timing marks. I've included a couple pictures of the car just for funzies. It's an 01 with the 2.5, auto, leather, and has 170k miles. I'm going to get it insured this week then drive it for a couple weeks before I sell my current dd, a 95 camry which has been an awesome car. It's leaking a good bit of oil which appears to be coming from the VCGs. I'm also hearing some popping or thud sounds coming from the front and rear end when I drove it around in the yard. I guess that is ball joints because I didn't hit any bumps big enough to bottom out the shocks.

20160529_165707_zps9juchkii.jpg

20160529_165655_zpsg2udg3ug.jpg

20160529_165640_zps4s9a9kqt.jpg

Thank you. I bought some headliner fabric today. It looks like it's going to be tricky with the sun roof.

Also, this rear view mirror is in need of help. The temp gauge/compass work but there is what looks like ink behind the glass and on the mirror. Is there a way I can take the mirror apart and wipe all that ink out of there. I'm sure it will be expensive to replace even from a salvage yard.

20160604_140903_zpsdqnwirsw.jpg