Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
njintau_fsd

Halo Ultra White Bulbs (H4)

Hey Everybody!

As some of you may know, I bought and installed Halo Ultra White bulbs on my Protege. Now I have always been a big fan of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras (had them in my old Protege and Altima) and loved em! I figured, since they're new and were only $26 in Amazon, what the hell and bought them. For a little over a month, I drove them and well I kept thinking it wasn't that bright. So, to make sure its not me and the bulbs, I did a little experiment. I took three pics: One with just the halo, one with stock and halo bulbs and the final with only stock. Here's my verdict: These things are NO BRIGHTER then stock! Eventhough they claim to be "closest to HID" (The box claims 7500K output!).

So my stance ( in a scale of 1-10)

Price: 8/10

Brightness (compared to stock): 2/10

Value: 4/10

So, if you're looking for something bright and white, keep looking! I guess in this case the old saying "you get what you pay for" is more than true! However, if you're looking for something cheap and don't care about brightness, be guest and by them. (they do have a white tint...) I can't comment on longevity though cuz I only had them for about a month. At this point, I'm just gonna sell em off in ebay, cut my losses and buy some Ultras. Expect pics if I do! :D

Oh and here are the pics!

Just Halos:

img-298279-1-DSC00048.jpg

Halo+Stock (Left is Halo, Right is stock (can you tell?)):

img-298279-2-DSC00052.jpg

Just stock:

img-298279-3-DSC00055.jpg

If anybody else has tried this product and was satisfied, feel free to add to this thread and call me a moron! :P

Constructive criticism is always appreciated...

But I still stand, if you want bright, pay up and get the Ultras! ;)

That's ma two cents aight?!

I don't see a difference. Guess this means you should just upgrade to an actual HID kit.

if he upgraded to a kit he would have glare all over the place. Not to mention for most reflector based headlights dropping in a HID kit, makes visibility worse because of the absolutely atrocious beam patterns you get.

As far as upgrading halogen bulbs, higher wattage will produce more output. However most other bulbs at the same wattage just use different colors painted onto the bulbs. Some blue, some red, some cut in different shapes, they say they produce more output. In reality these bulbs like the silver stars generally produce less useable light then OEM stock bulb, because they filter out colors from the bulb.

If your looking for better output, go with slightly higher than stock wattage bulbs. OSRAM makes an excellent h4 bulb called the HYPER ( http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1404 ) They give you an output of 70/65W (70W high 65W low) versus stock 60/55W. Overall your getting 20 Watts more of light onto the road giving you a higher lumen output. More Lumens = more light. And it will not kill your beam pattern. Be careful of going beyond 75w on stock wiring harness because you could fry the wires. Hope this helps :D

I don't see a difference. Guess this means you should just upgrade to an actual HID kit.

if he upgraded to a kit he would have glare all over the place. Not to mention for most reflector based headlights dropping in a HID kit, makes visibility worse because of the absolutely atrocious beam patterns you get.

As far as upgrading halogen bulbs, higher wattage will produce more output. However most other bulbs at the same wattage just use different colors painted onto the bulbs. Some blue, some red, some cut in different shapes, they say they produce more output. In reality these bulbs like the silver stars generally produce less useable light then OEM stock bulb, because they filter out colors from the bulb.

If your looking for better output, go with slightly higher than stock wattage bulbs. OSRAM makes an excellent h4 bulb called the HYPER ( http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1404 ) They give you an output of 70/65W (70W high 65W low) versus stock 60/55W. Overall your getting 20 Watts more of light onto the road giving you a higher lumen output. More Lumens = more light. And it will not kill your beam pattern. Be careful of going beyond 75w on stock wiring harness because you could fry the wires. Hope this helps :D

Thanks NDM! Actually I ended up finding some Ultras on ebay for $23 so I jumped on em. Actually, I have been considering an HID conversion but figured it would be safer (and sexier) to go with a projector retrofit first. I figured I'd take some time to research it and (assuming I have the cash) do it using aftermarket headlights or stock headlights from a junkyard of something. I do agree with the weird beam pattern thing that HID bulbs might create on non HID designed headlight housings so hence...the projector retrofit idea.

Take that money for the projectors and buy a bigger turbo and just drive during the day. ;)

Wish I could lmfao! You could help me out and buying my Halo bulbs.... they ARE on Ebay :lol:

Those H4's won't fit my 9006's... :unsure:

Awwwwwwwww :(

Anyways lol, I just installed the Sylvanias and here's a pic (compare that to the first one):

img-298438-1-DSC00059.jpg

I know, I know, the pic is kinda grainy but still proves my point. There you go fellow 626ers! Sylvanias trumps gay off brands yet again ;)

Yeah thats how it usually is. Good brand bulbs generally trumps aftermarket garbage.

I think for both quality lighting and brightness with halogen heres the general theory.

Low - Ebay Aftermarket / Random Aftermarket Branded Bulbs

Medium-low - Brand Bulbs with color filters

Medium - OEM Bulbs / Name brand Bulbs

High - High Wattage name Brand Bulbs, OSRAM etc.