Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
XeNoMoRpH

Gunk Engine Flush

The other day, I decided to do any engine flush. The store I went to didn't have much of a selection, but did have this:

img-298050-1-41Euzjwy2vL._SS500_.jpg

So, what you do is add this to your oil right before you are about to do an oil change. I drove my car around and got it up to operating temperature. While taking the oil cap off, I wondered if this was a good idea or not? If you've ever used the Gunk degreaser, you know it's good stuff and it doesn't seem like a good idea dumping that into an engine. Well, I decided to go for it. I poured it in and let the car idle for 5 minutes.

After that, I did the oil change. The oil did seem darker then usual, but I can't say I really payed attention.

The aftermath? It seems the same for me. I assume if your engine is relatively clean, then it probably wouldn't help much. If you have a lot of build up though, that will rip it off. Just realize that the build up has to go somewhere and that is generally your oil pan. Your oil pickup can suck that up and kill your oil pressure and therefore your car. They recommend to take the oil pan off in that case.

Okay, makes sense. I was reading about them last night, and how Jiffy Lube and other quick change places recommended them hardcore when the OEM's said specifically not to do it. So many people ended up with blown engines. Annd, they weren't covered under warranty.

i do them every other oil change. even on my high mileage car's. have never had an issue. and most my friends do them, and have never actually known anyone to have an issue. its always know some one, thats knows some one. and thats usually bullshit. lol

if you saw the clean gold look of the aluminum under my valve cover, then saw its an original 250k+ motor, you would like it too. :lol:

i use about 3 bottles, realy cleans it out good.

great product.

i ahve an uncle who swears by the old Kerosene trick he puts about 1/4 litre of kero in before his oil changes and swears by it, havent tried it myself, but apprently a lot of engine "gunk" removers are mostly kerosene based??? Comments?

thats what most engine flush kits is anyways. just not as harsh as straight kerosene. considering engine flush kits are so cheap anyways. there really no reason to risk it going with the harsher stuff just in case. specially considering alot of people even think engine flush's are too harsh on there own.

I've done the kero flush and really cant say it was any better than sea foam ( or comparable product ) and i was skered (very very worried , anxious even ) the whole time.:unsure:

My buddy in auto tech school said that kero dries out seals and stuff, but he's provided me with some sketchy info in the past, so I don't know how much faith I'd put in that. I watched my friend's dad wash his mom's car with kero and water... The paint didn't look so hot, afterwards... I don't think him using the scratchy side of a dish sponge helped his case much... :lol:

I used seafoam on an engine that had the oil changed the week prior and it was black as midnight after the seafoam. So it does work, but I'm not sure about possible long term side effects. We're probably being overly cautious. I don't know many people that keep a car long enough to see the end of it.

I know NDM did a kerosene flush a while back and he said it really helped.

I'd say, if your car is high mileage and you've never done a treatment and do not maintain it like you should, this will really clean it up. The unfortunate part is if there is a lot of gunk in there, it can clog your oil filter.