Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

93+ High Mileage Thread

How many miles have you driven so far?

Any major problems?

Enlighten us!

Bought our 1994 4 dr. 4 cyl std shift 626 new with 100 miles on it. Now have240K+ miles. It still doesn't burn oil! Car has NO rust even though its life started out on the Florida coast. It got 33 mpg in city and highway then, now 25 city and 30 highway around Austin, TX.

Besides basic maintenance I've replaced: clutch once at 186K miles, brakes about 4 times, master and slave cylinder once, all 4 shocks, left drive shaft twice, right drive shaft 4 times, timing belt twice (due again), steering gear box, power steering pump, brake rotors once, distributor coil THREE times, A/C compressor once, spark plug cables twice and ozone sensor once. I did and do all the repairs myself except clutch and when under warranty.

Cosmetic repairs:

Re-glued headliner fabric to foam & fabric on doors.

Replaced radio and rear speakers.

Current problems:

Check engine light comes on under slow acceleration around 2000 rpm: code is EGR problem. Have removed and cleaned EGR valve with carburetor cleaner which seemed to slow its coming on down, but not fix it. Next will be EGR solenoid.

Cabin air has no filter so A/C evaporator partially stopped up with oak tree debris.

Dash airbag light flashes code 51 ("DM internal fuse: blown and short to ground no longer exists").

Seat belts haven't automatically retracted for 100K miles or more.

Plastic wheel covers cracked (by tire dealer when replacing tires).

Exterior clear coat is peeling off.

Problems with dealer maintenance:

When new it took 3 visits to get driver's side electric window working properly. One time of which they melted a hole in the cover of the under hood fuse box and tried to hide it, apparently shorting out something.

After an oil change found the dip stick laying in fender where hood closes on it, as well as oil 2 inches above full line.

1994 Mazda 626 GLX 1.8i Irish Car / Spec - Elec Windows, Elec mirrors, tilt/slide sunroof and all still working perfectly - 195,000 miles - Metallic Silver colour

I'm the third owner.

Reliable is an understatement - this car just goes and goes and goes - getting about 40 mpg on average

and more with lighter right foot. Takes everything thrown at it - incredible car.

Engine was very smokey (blue smoke) on start up for a month or two but this has gone away completely - i may need head gasket change

at some stage but will leave it be for the moment.

Using standard 10-40 engine oil at oil change time.

Tracking goes out fairly easily but can get done inexpensively closeby

Replaced rear exhaust box at 190K (got cheap from scrappie- practically new)

Replaced front drives shafts at 170K (got from scrappie in north of ireland)

Replaced fuel pump at 150K

Got rear calipers from scrappie (north of ireland) this weekend (May 7 2011) so hopefully these will be fitted this week with replacement rear discs too.

Interior is ok but seats could do with a change - may get these at a later stage

Use Bridgestone Blizzak LM 20 winter tyres on all four all year and are fine - excellent tyre highly recommend very hard wearing

looks like only two cars out mile mine... 94 es 2.5 5 speed .. car is at 228,000

replaced oem clutch at 228k ( just under 300 miles on clutch now)

oem alternator,

oem starter

replaced.....

original motor was wiped out due to a fram oil filter failure new motor had comparable mileage i cant rember the exact mileage but i think it was somewhere around 80k, and trans was just replaced due to a cracked case from a wheel hop issue at the drag strip

clutch, and trans,axle seals, t belt, hoses, mounts, rear calipers, brake lines ( now has nicop brake lines) brake hoses, plugs, wires, sway links, and im sure im forgetting stuff..

still needs, struts, motor mount inserts, new vris solenoids, a trans saver, headers, cat back, and a klze swap .. she uses a little oil over 6500 rpms :)

99 I4 5spd with 131,XXX miles

i got it with around 109,000 on it. since then i havent been the kindest to it while driving it, however i take reasonable care of it, hand washing often, sweeping interior, waxing, changing oil, breaks, etc.

only thing that has gone wrong on it was the timing belt but that's because it had 110,000 miles on it so i got that and the water pump replaced.

i also replaced the tie rods not too long ago to prevent them from breaking and i plan on replacing CV joints relatively soon.

very, very reliable car and fun to drive. (oh yeah and i went through 4 tires completely in a year and a half :P)

I've got a 94 ford aspire that just rolled over 250k miles.. and still beating it up daily, doesn't necessarily need it but I'm about to swap front and rear shocks/struts with a 2002 kia for the top (ball bearing) mount and chop the springs down a little. Aside from general maintenance (oil changes/plugs/tie rod ends/steering rack boot/wheel bearings/..) and a 60$ driver side driveaxel. I haven't had any major issues with the engine.. if she lasts long enough *knock on wood* I may go ahead and do a ring job and re-hone the cylinders next summer. She's still gettin 40 mpg @ 250k miles, at least for the last 3500 miles since I've been tracking it. This car sat for over a year before I got it cause P.O. didn't know bad spark plugs make a car run/idle bad LOL..hoping for similar results with the 99 626 I just picked up. Its only got 111k miles.

I`m so proud!! My 1996 ES with the original engine and original automatic transmission just rolled over to 200k miles! I`m glad I got to see it. This is my first car and I`ve owned it four years now. Its never let down except for a broken cv axle. I`ve owned two other cars after it and I`m glad I kept it . I`ll never sell it now .

OK... I'll chime in with my baby. I have a 96 LX V-6 that I bought for $400 in 2007. It looked like it was just driven off the showroom floor. (although, 4 years, 100,000 miles and 3 teenagers later, not quite so much!) When I bought it, it had 180,000 miles and a bad knock. His mechanic told him it needed a new engine. Only problem, the knock was located high on the front. I gambled it was the timing belt tensioner, and it was. I spent about $180 in parts, replaced the belt & tensioner, and now she has 298,000 miles. She started burning oil about 20,000 miles ago, and has now progressed to where it's fouling the plugs, so I am getting ready to swap the motor. Since I've had it, I have done the timing belt & tensioner and water pump twice, rear brake calipers, some exhaust work and tie rod ends. That's it! I haven't touched the clutch or tranny, although I will be replacing the clutch when I swap the motor. Most bullet-proof engine I've ever owned.

Although now she's getting a little long in the tooth, still have mine 7 years later. comin up on 400,000 kms (250,000 miles in US!) in the next month or so. just about to do the VC's for the 3rd time lol.

Tranny was rebuilt a few years ago.

Other than the check engine light always seems to be on more than off

- recently purge valve solenoid and post cat O2 sensors.

Still have the original distributor! (however i think its days are numbered)

gets her oil change every 6,000kms at the local mazda dealer ( i love the deal local mazda dealer has on oil change! $39.95 and they wash & vaccuum the car!)

Other than regular maintenance and wear and tear items, been pretty decent car.

My only pet peeve is since I do the majority of the work on it, i do not care for any repairs under the hood :P damn air cleaner box, but the rest of it is pretty good.

got my 96 626 es about a month ago for 2550 from a dealership.its got 60000 miles on it and it drives great.interiors in good condition and has no problems at all.

I have a 97 626 with the 2 liter four and a 5-speed. It is rapidly approaching 240,000 miles and the only major repair was replacing the catalyst at about 120k due to damage sustained from a misfiring cylinder (has anybody else had that problem with a Mazda?). Other than that, tune-ups, tires, brakes and stuff have been the only expenses. This car has outlasted three car stereo head units also. It still runs great other than some oil burning.

If you want to know what kind of problems the 626 has just look in the forums. People come here for general help in fixing issues all day every day. For the most part what everyone in the community can't contribute to getting someone's car back on the road a mechanic usually can. The modularity of Mazda's help keep them on the road. If your measuring a car's success against how long a head unit lasts you need a new measuring stick. Cars should last as long as their engines or transmissions not head units. img-320175-1-wink.gif

I honestly didn't know that catalyst material could blow from misfiring. Well I guess that makes sense if it was a bad misfire and you drove it like that for a while. Usually don't see that happening. Seriously though there's no need for a poll on what people have problems with in their 626's. This entire website is dedicated to just that. Have a look around.

As for high mileage breakdowns they can happen for all sorts of reasons. A big reason is obviously the CD4E automatic transmission failing. Other than that a contributing factor is carbon buildup. In one form or another carbon buildup will contribute in somewhat to 1 or more parts failing in quick succession. From the MAF and IAC to EGR and O2 sensors. Buildup is the enemy of high mileage cars. Keep em clean and they'll run a lot better for a lot longer.

I have 210K (with issues) and hope to keep her on the road for at least 200k more.

my 626 GF classic has done nearly 160ks and Its only had major service done and its regular services. I manged it hard today.. as well as yesterday and the day before and the day before the day before... lol its still alive ;) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got 197,000 miles. Doesn't run too well. Just had to replace steering rack ($900), needs a new distributer (red dust), Auto tranny slowly failing, Ticks and shakes like crazy, Replaced the radiator, freeze plugs, and a couple motor mounts.

But for that many miles, and what I paid for it, it doesn't get much better. and It's never left me completely stranded

my MTX KL 97 626 hit the big 150K last month.

was having a goofy idle and stalling at stop lights for 2 days there. but finally tracked it down to a bad o2 sensor. glad to have the turd idling again like it should.

my 97 2.0 auto 115K was 110 in june so yea i drive alot do to my job and my me time. the slushbox still holding strong and had 30K when we put it in. i have a transgo so i hope it holds out until like 300K or more.

2000 2.0 atx, 213k did a bit of work to it but nothing to whine about really,

cv axles

head gasket

timing belt

tstat

radiator

water pump

brakes

nothing to crazy, bought it at 160k for 300 bucks because it had ticking cvs and could hardly stop itself with the brakes it had. lol

so i have 53k miles on it personally, and for a little under 1000 bucks. i cant complain, still gets 27 mpg @ 60 mph.

Looks like I'm the only 94' automatic transmission LX 4cyl owner to reply to this thread! Although the 94' auto was infamous for its transmission failure, I've got 236k on the original tranny and motor now. HOLD light comes on occasionally, replaced sway bar links, and previous owner had timing done at 110k. I bought it for $400 with 160k on it , and had it for almost 4 years now and only changed battery, tires, and oil of course. Cant say I haven't got my money's worth!

My 89' has about 250k on her.....the only thing is the oil leak on it. My rings are fried so I gotta try to find a way to keep oil out of the cylinder. I dont care if its on the outside because that doesnt cost me as much power

(I know its a 93+ post but, I just want you guys to know that if youre under 250k..shes still got plenty of life!!!!)

Edited by Quezz5

^

the car i had before this 626 was a 89 probe lx with the same 2.2. it had over 300k miles when i sold it, to purchase this 626. and it still didnt have a single leak, and didnt burn any oil. its a jimmy johns delivery car now. lol

I have a 94 626 with 307k+ on the dash lol. The only MAIN issues i have are with the transmission and my speedometer not working. The hold light flashes sometimes(I think when the transmissions hot..for sure if I run over a puddle). For some reason my speedometer doesn't work. RPMs, temperature and everything else works perfectly fine. Once I hit around 60 mph the dash says I'm going 90+ lolol. I read online that it's possibly my speedometer gear set. Idk what that is but that's the next project. After that is the paint job! :)

Then look into getting the vehicle speed sensor checked out. Please don't just replace parts. Get them tested first.