Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

93+ High Mileage Thread

It all started way back when.

Now most 626s have accumulated quite some mileage especially our 93+ fellas.

So, this thread is created for those that have racked up those miles!

How many miles have you driven so far?

Any major problems?

Enlighten us!

• Like 1

1999 Mazda 626 V6 MTX

I am at 114,000 miles roughly (I know it's not much) and I haven't had any huge issues, just typical maintenance. Couldn't be happier!

95 4cyl MTX

A few days ago I just rolled 80k miles!

The parts I had to replace so far are either related to salt/corrosion, or typical maintenance. I've done the timing belt (and because it wasn't changed when it should have been when my dad had it the distributor cap, rotor, etc needed changed, too), all the suspension (front coils actually broke and the rear struts were leaking), blew the flex joint in the header, replaced the rest of the exhaust cat-back when the muffler blew a hole. When something breaks, I upgrade it, so I've got a semi-long list of mods.

It has never broken down on me for the 8k miles that I've been driving it. It's never failed to start, either.

95' DX MTX on 142K

My babe begins to leaking oil severely, all I can do is to wipe off all the stains of oil from the engine block to trace the source, then fix it.

btw, I won't dump my 6 until it passes 250k or died.img-296358-1-laugh.gif

I had 170k+ miles on my '94 when it got totalled like 6 years ago.

My '96 MX6 has around 140k, but only about 60-70k on the actual motor. I think the transmission may have over 200k, but it's been in and out of at least two different cars besides this one, so it's tough to keep track. Still shifts like new, though.

Drive it 'til the wheels fall off...

130,000 miles on my '94 626 ES V6 Manual, no major repairs even though I was about 40,000 miles overdue on a water pump/timing belt change. Will be updating Stitch's thread in the weeks to come as the parts come in.

190,000 on my 98' 626 LX 2.0.

I've only had it for 5,000 miles but I have already done an oil change (runs synthetic, not sure when the change over was done.) and spark plug change (NGK).

Needs a timing belt BAD.

Knocking coming from power steering pump.

Currently in the garage for a rear drum brake cylinder, blew out in front of my friends house, so no accident. (Not sure on price yet)

E-brake lines have been replaced.

In garage 2 weeks ago for a water bypass pipe, blew when my car over heated during a bad snowstorm. (250$)

Engine is running beautifully.

Overall, I am happy with the car.

1997 V6 MTX with 180k

I've replaced the following:

-clutch master cylinder (twice)

-half shaft (clicking joint)

-AC compressor and related AC parts

-Alternator

-Valve cover gaskets

-Crankshaft

-Radiator

-Thermostat

These are all the things I can think of right now. I've also done some routine maintenance stuff but I don't count that. I still have the following problems - ABS light stays on, slight oil leak from oil filter housing, stuck radio antenna, camber problems. I've been a little disappointed with the amount I've had to do on the car but it does still run.

2002 626 LX 2L

Bought it August 2002 with ~30k on it.

Currently has just shy of 150k miles

Major work:

motor mounts needed replacing (3 left to do)

Starter was slowly dying (replaced).

Other than normal maintenance (fluid, belts, hoses,etc) never had any problems with the car :knocks on wood:

Currently tracking down a strange coolant leak, looks to be just rubber hoses gave out (crosses fingers).

My '93 MX-6 has a little under 202k on the clock. I bought it at 135k (Nov. '05), swapped in the ZE and tranny at 165 after the original transmission started giving me trouble (summer of '07), and haven't had any major problems with it since. I've had quite a few small problems at inconvenient times, though. Right now the engine mounts are shot after only 40k miles, the front end has a little arthritis, and the power steering pump is starting to whine, but hopefully it'll hold together for a while until the new job starts paying.

Drive it 'til the wheels fall off...

I'm with you on that one.

1996 DX MTX with just over 155K. Runs like a clockwork occasionally visiting 5000 rpm without sweat and great engine sound.

No serious issues, yet. ;)

Typical maintenance- new radiator, clutch, struts, couple of engine mounts, new exhaust and catalyst (living in CA :blink: )etc.

Only once a head gasket problem due to faulty PCV valve. Fixed fully and cheaply.

Some upgrades to make it more fun (not necessary fixes)- 16 in., wheels, Ultra high performance tires, Eibach springs, decent headlight bulbs.

Planning to get at least another 2-4 years out of it.

I want to give Mazda a chance to get the next RX-8 to my liking. :P

Well, the 93 626 now has over 206,000 miles on her. Just about everything over the years have been tended to maitenance wise. Just went to the scrap yard to find two good driver side doors to replace the rusted out ones (Minnesota winters). Passanger side seems to be fine for some odd reason. Still need to replace the rear VCG, keep being afraid of all the electrical and vacuum connections but the oil is smelling quit bad. Funny thing is I still enjoy driving it.

-TomK

Just went over 220,000.

Edited by Kutcht1

95' DX MTX on 142K

My babe begins to leaking oil severely, all I can do is to wipe off all the stains of oil from the engine block to trace the source, then fix it.

btw, I won't dump my 6 until it passes 250k or died.img-306034-1-laugh.gif

146K now ( besides I bought another cheap 98' Accord coupe and drive it more than the 6 till November, while all the fixings, doors, power functions, oil leaks, finished).

- Valve cover gasket;

- Distributor cap;

- Distributor rotor;

- Spark plug wire set;

- New 4 tires(Non-original 195/65/R14 size due to no stock, 185/70R14 using now)

- Replaced 4 doors and a hood (Pick'n'Pull) ;

other than those, there're only oil changes(engine and tranny) and air filter serviced.

i got a 1997 mazda 626 lx has 187000 km( or 115000 miles) so far need the timing belt replaced, had broken brake line, other than that just needs some maintenance,

new windshield

timing belt

replace all spark plugs and wires

replace exhaust

replace all fuel and brake lines.

Works great for me.

I've got a '99 626 ATX. I bought her for $400 2 years ago. She had bad tranny due to lack of driver knowledge of how to open the hood. Anyhoo, so far I've replaced or rebuilt...

1 Rebuilt the tranny at 155k

2 New tires, belts and hoses.

3. Replaced thermostat 160k

4. Overheating due to wrong rad. cap on resevoir.

5. Alternator at 169k...(bad voltage reg. fried 3 relays and 2 fusable links.

She has 170k on her now and purrs like a kitten, just needed a little TLC.

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 atx ~ 196,000 on original engine and transmission, no major problems so far

96 626 2.5 mtx. has 206k had a bad misfire changed everything to it, happens to be the coil and now its been running perfect since no problem reaching 7000rpm when i want it to. things changed. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter normal stuff so far.

1998 626 LX 2.0 Atx w/ 112,000 on it.

Rebuilt transmission not too long ago.

Belts.

IAC.

Fuel Filter.

Weatherstripping went to crap, replaced that.

Oh, and added two extra ground cables off the battery.

Other than that, triple treated it with seafoam (vaccuum line, crankcase and gas tank), added a K&N box filter and recently changed the oil (after 100 miles after the seafoam).

Runs like a thoroughbred with a cruise missile up its @SS. Looking forward to 200K.;)

'96 LX 4-cylinder MTX - 245k

Original engine and transmission. Engine will need a head gasket soon, and burns oil on start-up, but still runs fairly good for now. Transmission is perfect. Cosmetically perfect. Original paint has no scratches. All power accessories including sunroof work fine.

Just bought a 2001 626 LX V6 with 125k original miles. As far as I know there are only a few issues with the car. The rear stabilizer sway bushings and links are making a "clunking" noise, and I need struts. The place I purchased the car changed the front valve cover gasket, replaced several vacuum lines, changed an axle? they didnt specify. These people were so comfortable selling me the car they sold me a warranty to go with it. So far I am happy with the car, though I have only had it for one day, it has been a pleasure to drive. Glad I found this website, to help with any future issues that may come up.

I have a 96 V6 626 5 speed- 154K so far, hyd lash adjusters need replacement (sounds like a mini diesel engine @ idle, sorta noisy) but runs strong. Routinely sees 28mpg with a best of 33mpg.

Replaced:

Cv Joints

Water pump

EGR valve

Radiator

Spark Plugs and wires

Valve cover Gaskets (leaky!)

Thermostat

Distributor

Front A arms

Power steering pump

Steering rack

Tie rods

Rotors

Brakes

Antenna and motor

Left rear window motor

Tires

Master cylinder and slave cylinder

ALL vacuum lines (huge PITA! do this first!!!)

Dash lights

Sway Bar (addco bar for no more body roll- awesome mod!)

All outside lights and headlights *bulbs only- polished headlights lenses.

Wife has a 94 2.0 5 speed- 175K and still running strong. No lash ticking from the hyd lash adjusters. Routinely sees 33mpg, best of 42mpg.

Replaced:

Plugs

Wires

Distributor

CV Joints

Master cylinder and slave cylinder

Valve cover gasket (leaky! actually let oil into the spark plug wells and then killed the modulator inside the distributor!)

Tires

IAC

Center console out of the newer mazda's with the large cupholders

Dash lights

All vacuum lines

All outside lights and headlights. * bulbs only- polished headlight lenses.

How do you get that good of gas mileage? I thought that they were rated for less than that when they were new.