Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Legacy

Headlights Will Not Turn On

The headlights on our 97 626 will not turn on. The running lights work as well as the blinkers and hazard lights. I've tried to use them in high-beam with out result. I've checked the fuse (continuity tetser) in the engine compartment for the headlights and it seems fine.

No problems prior to this. (There is an unrelated speedometer issue I'm working on)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Update:

The normal high beam psition of the headlight control wand does not work, but if I pull the wand tword me they do turn on.

Replace the whole headlight switch.

I replaced the switch within the steering column.

This did not work.

I was halfway through the job when I realized the wires going to the turnstyle portion at the end of the wand that controls the headlights was not connected to the internal switch assembly. There was one thin black/green wire that did migrate from the internal switch wiring to the coupler where the headlight (turn style) wires went to.

When I turn the turnstyle switch to the running lights position (right before the headlight position), I hear a click in the engine compartmnet.

Is there something (relay or other electrical component) that I can check into?

I realize this is the wrong forum so let me know if I should post to the technical one.

Thanks

If you're in Canada, you have a "Daytime Running Lights" relay in the main fuse box under the hood and a Headlight relay in the right front corner (passenger side) of the engine compartment...if in the States you'll only have the Headlight relay!

Have you check the connectors at the bulbs?

Did you check the bulbs them self to see if they are open?

Did you test for power coming out of the wires at the switch that would go to the relay/bulb?

Check ALL fuses? (you never know, it might be it)

Did you do a continuity test between the switch to the relay to the bulb?

Check to see if the relay is working?

Make sure GROUND is good?

Have you check the connectors at the bulbs?

Did you check the bulbs them self to see if they are open?

Did you test for power coming out of the wires at the switch that would go to the relay/bulb?

Check ALL fuses? (you never know, it might be it)

Did you do a continuity test between the switch to the relay to the bulb?

Check to see if the relay is working?

Make sure GROUND is good?

Thanks you all for your help and suggestions.

We are scheduled to take a trip within a few days of my last post so I did not have time to work on both issues ( headslights and swpedometer), so I had no real choice but to take it to the dealer.

The spedometer issue ened up beeing a drivin gear set, and the headlights ended up being an issue with the actual contral arm switch.

I was going to say that, but I swear you sai dyou already replaced it.

But ether way, if you did test it at the connector while it was still plug in, you would of found it. But at least you got it done.

I have the same problem.. After a drive in the hard rain at night, i lost the hi-beams.. If you shortwire it in the relay plug (ACC and COM) the lights should turn on. Which means you have the wiring OK. But when i turn on the headlights and push the lever, nothing happens. And when i try to "flash", only the low-beams flash.. So i'm guessing that my switch is broken..

I’m having the same problem on a 2002 Mazda 626 I went to the store last night and when I went to leave my headlights wouldn’t work so I hard wired them to the battery so I could make it home. I checked all fuses and there good. I had just replaced headlights and the assembly’s they worked fine why would everything else come on but them