Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
nate1973

Car Won't Start In Cold Weather

When I cold start the engine during cold weather mornings the engine will turn over but will not start. If I continue cranking, the engine will "rumble" once or twice as if trying to start. I can eventually start it by pressing the gas at the right second while cranking the ignition or by pumping the gas pedal continuously, however, this doesn't work all the time. I have added heet to the gastank thinking there was moisture in the line, but that didn't solve the problem.

I have no issues during warmer weather or once I am able to start the car in the morning it will start the rest of the day (finally started it yesterday at 8:30, at 12:30 it started fine, and at 5:00pm it started fine, but this morning it's back to the same deal)

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I can't think of anything in particular that would cause it not to start in the morning, but then it starts perfect the rest of the day.

Any help out there?

I dunno... Possibly a battery ? Are your connections good, it may not be receiving the right amount of power. My old battery was garbage and I had trouble starting it in the cold weather quite frequently, till I replaced it, and now I'm fine.

Also, check your spark plugs & ensure they're clean / not terrible ;)

or get a block heater and plug the car in. Best to post the what the temp range is that it wont start in, I am a canadian boy and what we call cold is usually a far cry from what the US boys call cold. -30 degrees celsius is typical here in saskatchewan thats -22 farhenheit. If the cars are not plugged in they usually don't like to start to easily.

It's not super cold outside, been around 3-20 degrees.

I did switch batteries out and still had the problem, and then I replaced the spark plugs and the next morning the car started fine.

Today the car started (25 degrees), but it me pumped the pedal like mad and alot longer than it does than in the afternoon. One of the plugs I replaced was bad (broken), but the confusing part for me is why that would keep it from starting in the morning, but not effect it any other time of day.

If it sticks to the norm, I had problems starting it this morning, but I won't have any issues the rest of the day or evening. I thought about a block heater, but it's not that cold really and shouldn't need one; last year we had tons of ice and it got into single digits for weeks and I never had problems starting the car.

Recent work on the car has been: (within last 3 weeks)

Replaced water pump

Replaced Timing Belt

Replaced battery

Replaced sparkplugs

replaced Thermostat.

When were the plug wires changed last? Could be "breaking down" in colder/damper weather!Distributor cap? Engine coolant temperarure sensor could also cause cold start problems but I'd start by replacing the wires, cap and rotor!

I'm not sure when they were changed... I pulled the distributor cpa and it and the rotor didn't have any build up on them.. I'll try replacing them and see if that helps.

Batteries will not work as well when they are cold, unless the battery was made to handle such cold.

Check the coil pack, it might have a crack somewhere that is being affected by the cold air/moister. The other way to tell if it does if you can't see one. Have the car running & spray water on it. If the vehicle miss fires or dies. Then that is the problem.

The fuel pump could be affected by the cold weather as well. Not providing proper pressure.

Plug wires, rotor, & distributor cap as mentioned.

Is the cranking sound strong when you try to start it in the morning? Or is it weak?

Starter is not working well enough due to the cold weather. I have this problem currently besides the fact that it needs to be replace ether way. But it's been more affected by the colder weather.