slammed6two6

Brake Lights Not Working...help

15 posts in this topic

hey all.

98 lx i4 atx

Ok so yesterday I get pulled over. Cop tells me my brake lights are out. No ticket thankfully. Anyways so i get home and sure enough all three are out. Bulbs are fine. Actually had an extra brand new brake light switch so i tossed that in to see if it would clear up. No such luck. Has anybody dealt with this are can give me an idea of where to start? Everything else works. Daytime running lights, reverse lights, headlights, turn signals. Just no brakes. It's killing me cuz I have to drive around my wife's bug.

I tested the brake light switch plug and I have power there. I guess I should check if I have power at the rear but I figured it obvious I didn't otherwise they would light up. Also, I tried a search and couldn't really find anything related. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. if you have a wiring diagram that'd be awesome!

Here you go....pedal's contacting the switch ok? Fuses good? If so, probable a bad wire or ground.

What makes you so sure the bulbs are good?

Numerous times on this car, I've seen cases where one of the dual-filament bulbs fails in a way that connects the two [otherwise independent] circuits together, causing all kinds of weird problems.

The other thing I've seen repeatedly is the lead bulb contacts mushrooming over time (the metal creeps), due to the spring pressure from the bulb socket. Eventually, they can make contact with one another and short out part of the circuit.

I think I would start by verifying that you're getting proper power & ground signals through the harness up to the taillight (with the lights disconnected). That should isolate the problem to either the wiring or the taillight(s).

thanks for the wiring diagram and the tips. I had a short from when I removed the remote start/alarm. The brake light switch output to the tail-lights wire was frayed and I'm guessing was coming into contact with the surrounding metal maybe grounding it out. Anyways, wrapped it up and now they work fine. Easy fix. Thanks again.

if you still have that doc I'd love to get a copy!!

thanks for the wiring diagram and the tips. I had a short from when I removed the remote start/alarm. The brake light switch output to the tail-lights wire was frayed and I'm guessing was coming into contact with the surrounding metal maybe grounding it out. Anyways, wrapped it up and now they work fine. Easy fix. Thanks again.

if you still have that doc I'd love to get a copy!!

PM me with your model/year and e-mail addy...something wrong with the uploader!

Can I get the wiring diagram for brake lights. Changed switch, bulbs and turn signal to no avail. 1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 2.5L.

I noticed the manual is for a 1989 626 MX. I am requesting the one for the 1998 626 LX. It's a V6-2.5L. Please advise. And "Thanks". Jo Ann

I had this same problem and if it hasnt been resolved yet take a test light and see if you have power running from your brakelight switch should be the white wire with the green stripe if theirs no power run a whole new 18g wire from switch to plug at the housing of the tail lights.

ok guys I need help.  I have the same issue.  2000 626 4cyl with NO brake lights.  I have tail lights and power and continuity all the way.   I have power to the Fuse block under the hood but the only fuse without power is the stop light 10a fuse on the top right of the block.  How do I fix this?  What is the Noise Filter and WHERE IS IT???

I didn't have 2000 model. But I had this problem when I took out my sunroof fuse, not thinking it would affect brake lights. I don't have sunroof so I did not think it would affect anything. So if you removed any other fuses, even though your car does not have the option, might want to put it back if it was there to begin with. 

Nope nothing like that.  jut stopped working.  Bulbs good, everything checks out just don't get brake lights.

ok I have replaced the noise filter and the stoplight switch.  I am not getting ANY power to the fuse block 10amp fuse for the stop light under the hood.  This is where my issue is and I need help getting power to it.  Every other fuse in that block has verified 12v power.