Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Wireless

Anybody Else A Fan Of 4x4ing?

My friend recently got a 97 Jeep Wrangler, and we've been slowly putting it together.. We finally got it running great, put the tires on it, got a lift on it, etc.. last few months.

Today? We took it mudding! biggrin.gif

Anyways, this video also reminds me how much I miss having a truck...

I don't know about anybody else here, but something about it has always appealed to me!

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'm pretty much the opposite of the stereotypical 4x4-er, I live in the city, I like cars way more than trucks, I don't like country, etc. But I went with my buddy once and we took his gf's Mazda Tribute out in some fields at night and it was so much fun. I remember thinking the next day that 4wd was the best invention ever.

Yeah, I live in a fairly metro area too.. but the whole thing is, when you take that longer-than-necessary drive to get there.. it's all worth it!

haha, plus, just sliding around out in the mud is the best thing ever ;) just gotta clean your undercarriage!

I enjoy it as well. I grew up riding dirt bikes and 4-wheelers and wouldn't mind having some type of off-road vehicle at the moment.

ive owned a K10 blazer on 38 inch mudders. a nissan hardbody on 31 inch mudders, and the last was the explorer i just cash for clunkered that also had 31 inch mudders. smile.gif

even though i live in the 2nd largest town in IL, im still a bit of a redneck when it comes to offroading. but after getting rid of the explorer for a 4x4 v6 kia sportage, i doubt ill be off roading anymore. lol.

Haha, 2nd biggest city? I didn't know Rockford was that big!

I've never been there, but never really heard much about it.

Sounds like you've owned a bunch of nice vehicles, and also sounds like you like to balance out your mix of vehicles..

Do you like your sportage? Is the 4 wheel drive even any good? I know that the 3.6L v6's or whatever that Kia uses is pretty damn quick!

but will it handle off roading..?

never seen the movie "A League of there own"? thats about the rockford peaches. lol. yea. were a big town with really nothing to it. lol.

the kia in all truth i havent even put in 4x4 yet. the v6 in it is actually sourced from hyundai. the enitre car is a rebadged hyundai tuscan actually. and that was a big reason i got it. i owned a 2k tibby from 2001 till 06 and was still the most reliable car ive owned. i got the truck for fiance so she would have a nice reliable car. the explorer kept on having stupid issues. and she didnt really like the big 31's on it cause shes not into off roading at all. she loves the kia though. and so far i dig it. ive probably only put 200 miles or so on it. i tend to stick to the mazda6, or the probe beater myself.

and your def right about owning a nice balance of car's. i go through them pretty quickly also. lol. currently i have an 88 colt GTS turbo hatch, 89 probe lx, 92 probe gt turbo, 90 626gt touring turbo, 05 mazda6, and 09 kia sportage. at least the majority of them are mazda's. smile.gif also have two riding mowers, 1 that is turbo charged, and a mazdaspeed push mower. lol

for some reason, i never took pics of the xploder on the 31's. but these are the last pic's i took.

this was when i swapped the drum rear end over to a full disc brake set up. upgraded to a larger brake master cyl also. upgraded all my gears to a 373 gear set, with LSD, and adjustable rancho RS9000 shocks. the sway bar is also an upgraded sway bar off a 2nd gen explorer. had mazda navajo tail lights, and steering wheel also. was waiting to swap the entire front end over to mazda spec. lol. did a custom intake on it. installed a 2nd gen explorer over head console. and quite a bit else.

img-291664-1-LAvacation274.jpg

img-291664-2-LAvacation277.jpg

img-291664-3-exploder002.jpg

img-291664-4-LAvacation278.jpg

img-291664-5-explorerreardisc011.jpg

img-291664-6-explorerreardisc013.jpg

img-291664-7-explorerreardisc015.jpg

Awesome badge! Explorers are known for crazy electrical issues. You'd think after so many years, they'd figure it out, right?

i didnt have really any electrical issues. but my alt did fry. and i upgraded it to a 140 amp alt. wiring up that over head console was a major PITA but way worth it. i got the explorer for 400, and probably spent another 3k over the last few years on it. i really did enjoy it. just always had stupid issues.

the last straw was my fiance was 2 hours away in chicago, and it started dumping fuel. towed it home. dropped the tank. and the fuel return line had just popped off the tank?? keep in mind ford uses those fuel clips that are normally impossible to pop off using the correct tool. lol. so i tossed the tank back in, and the next day traded it in on my kia. smile.gif

wow, i clicked the back button on my mouse on accident and lost everything..

god...

oh well..

so honestly, would it be worth it getting a mazda6? like an ~05 ish? I'm considering either that, or an ~02 and up ram/silverado with 4x4..

if i get the truck, i'm definitely keeping my car(fuel mileage ._.)

anyways, I like that explorer. my friend has one, honestly, massive pile of garbage... haha..

also, by colt, i'm assuming you mean "dodge colt" ?!?!

if so, that's one RARE car! I bet finding parts for it is nearly impossible.. is it in good shape? You need to keep a tight grip on that car, I don't think honestly I've ever seen more than one or two in person.. :/

i love the mazda6. its a great car. but if i was you, look for a 03-05 grand touring sport. dont get a cheap model cause they feel like a taurus. lol. i got the 4 cyl with a manual trans. but its the fully loaded GT sport model. ive had mine about 4 years now, and havent had any issues. i do keep it in storage through winter though.

i do agree. i liked the explorer. but it was garbage. and i would have told you that when i still owned it. i spent more on towing, then parts for that thing. lol. hence why i didnt hold back when the cash for clunkers program came around. not like that truck would have sold for 1/4th of the $4500 i got for trading it in.

yes. it is a dodge colt. this is actually my 2nd turbo one even. ;) and i know better then you how hard parts are to come by. ive been searching for bumpers for mine for over 3 years now. drivetrain is done, and car runs. just cant drive it cause i never had bumpers for the damn thing and no one sells turbo replacements. :( ive never even seen another one of my body style on the road, or in a yard. its the shittiest part about owning the car. but its what i had all through high school, so they mean alot to me.

ahh, i was definitely gonna ask you if you had the v6 or not.. does it have enough power for you? I LOVE how the older ones look!

and yeah, the new ones handle amazingly but I wasn't sure about the old ones.. I refuse to drive a taurus, and even more so when it's labelled "mazda6" :P

hmm, well out of curiosity how much DID you get for it?! lol that explorer didn't look bad, but i mean.. they're not hard cars to work on! So I don't blame you for working on it, very easy in general.

& I'll be completely honest I didn't think it was THAT hard to find parts, but that Colt.. get it running and eventually, whoo!

Do you own any ATVs or anything?

Over Thanksgiving week, I'm heading up to New Mexico.. going to be in the mountains, near Ruidoso.. Some relatives have Snowmobiles, four wheelers, all kinds of fun vehicles to toy around with up there.

fun times, except for the COLDDDD. I can't handle those 8 degree mornings, Texas is fine for me ;)

oh, btw, looked on Craigslist..

found a 1992 colt, can anything on it be used for yours?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1426318806.html

My mom has a 95 Explorer that has over 150k miles. The transmission shifts really hard and is just rough all around. The crazy thing is it's all electrical. When the CEL is off, it's fine. Once that kicks on, it's terrible again.

That's one issue that is common in a lot of Explorers. My buddy has a 2003 and his timing chain retainers or whatever broke. Apparently the chain rides on a plastic piece? That's another problem...

I wish I still had an ATV :(. I used to have a Blaster which was great. I always wanted a Banshee though...

ahh, i was definitely gonna ask you if you had the v6 or not.. does it have enough power for you?

hmm, well out of curiosity how much DID you get for it?!

Do you own any ATVs or anything?

found a 1992 colt, can anything on it be used for yours?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1426318806.html

in the 4 years ive owned the mazda6. ive yet to even install a cold air intake, or even a single bolt on power gainer. only thing ive done to the motor itself is a AWR 80 duro poly rear trans mount for a nice solid shift feeling. and i converted the internal oil filter thats stock, to a spin on cartridge filter that is typical of cars. cause i cant stand the internal filters. and at the time, only mazda had them. and im very used to having horsepower. considering my daily drivers usually have been boosted cars. but the 6 is all luxury. it ran a 15.8@89mph on bald OEM tires, and with the air filter that came with it back n 04. lol. so its on par with most mtx v6 626's.

as to the price, my fiance's dad is partial owner of a car dealership. so i buy cars at what they paid for trade in's. smile.gif its why i have the collection of cars that i do. the 6 i didnt get as good of a deal as others since it wasnt even a year old when i got it. i spent $12k back in 05 for it and the car had 12,500 miles on it. i knew i wanted the lapis blue, grand touring, sport, and a mtx. i really wanted the v6. but since i was so specific on color and it being a mtx, obviously it was take what you can get. and after test driving the 2.3 4 cyl, i was more then happy with the power. i have no plans on racing the car, and its more then enough to take out the typical honda. plus you cant beat the looks the car gets. and females adore this car more then any other car ive ever owned!

like i said earlier, i live in the 2nd most populated town in IL. if i had a atv on the streets, id have a cop on me within a block. i owned a few when i lived in arkansas, but having one up here would be pointless. just no where to enjoy one. if i ever move somewhere a bit out of town, ill def be getting another 4 wheeler though. i do miss them. would kill for another snowmobile too. smile.gif

that colt is the body after mine. if that was the body i owned, my car would be spotless. those bodies are everywhere. junkyards are crawling with them. my body is 86-88. and the bumpers are side skirts are GTS turbo specific. but at this point, even if i found a non turbo bumper, id be happy to have it. the drivetrain has been done for about2 years on the colt. along with the suspension. the car runs and drives fine. just the fact it has zero bumpers means i cant drive it. once i get all the body panels for it, i plan on using the colt more as my all around beater. it will pretty much take the place of the probe lx beater i have now.

check out the photo section, im pretty sure ive posted pic's of my mazda6 a few times. its my fav car i own now for sure. it was bought to replace my old tiburon when it got totalled. well, and so was the 626. lol. the insurance money from the tiburon is what bought, and built the 626.

• Like 1

honestly i've seen pictures of your 6...

beautiful car, man. you did it well.. and the violet HIDs look freaking amazing man.

you've done well, and I always enjoy reading your posts, they're always informative and highly useful when I read them.

Thanks!

im a sucker for the violet HID's. my 626 has the same color also. the 626 one up's it with the hella yellow glass fog's though. lol

its actually something me and my best friend always do to our cars, he has 3 cars right now all with the same violet HID kits. and 2 of his cars also have yellow HID's. but i started the look with the 626 between us. and i can assure you. any other car i do, will have the same set up. i just love the look. and really appreciate hearing others like them too. some people hate on the look cause of the less light output compared to the 6000k's or so. but the 12,000k's are still twice as good as normal style bulb's. and its more the look im going for. smile.gif

Yeahh, haha.. Do you drive with the Violet's on normally, or what? I don't know if I would like driving with that Violet on all the time.. Would get kind of distracting.

Btw, I hate when people say "but you get less visibility!" i don't CARE! I like how it LOOKS, plus it's already better than a regular halogen bulb, so back off =P

lol..

& how exactly are your HIDs done?

You drive with the yellow ones on, or are they fogs? i'm confuseddd, lol

yup. on the 6, the halo's kick on with the driving lights. and they stay on with the hid's. the violet are my headlight bulbs. but i always keep them on. the 6 has auto lights anyway, so i just leave them on 24/7, and they shut off like 20 sec after taking the keys out.

on the 626, the fog's are yellow, but i keep the HELLA cover's on them 90% of the time, unless im going to a mazda meet or something. thats why in most pics, i have the covers on them. mainly to just protect them from possible breaking. there not cheap to replace. lol. and im always broke. smile.gif

Both of your cars look spotless, Mono, and I know I've said so before. I love the violet HIDs. I was hooked as soon as I saw yours. Same for the Hella fogs. I'd feel bad for copying, but if I had either of the cars that you do, I would have them exactly the same. Sooo clean.

My mom has a 95 Explorer that has over 150k miles. The transmission shifts really hard and is just rough all around. The crazy thing is it's all electrical. When the CEL is off, it's fine. Once that kicks on, it's terrible again.

That's one issue that is common in a lot of Explorers. My buddy has a 2003 and his timing chain retainers or whatever broke. Apparently the chain rides on a plastic piece? That's another problem...

I wish I still had an ATV :(. I used to have a Blaster which was great. I always wanted a Banshee though...

Well, Trucks and ATVs are the best adventure toys. I have an F150 and a Suzuki ATV... Though sometimes, I have this problem finding some suzuki atv parts for my ride. hope than someone can PM me for some of the parts.

my buddys got a 99 4 runner, 2wd, lsd rear, 32's

want more pictures of it that you can fit on a terabyte?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045612/1999-toyota-4runner-sport-utility-4d

lol..

since my mx6 is in planned no-op for the 3rd year in a row. (every f@!#ing christmas), im driving my dads 98 trooper. 33's, 4x4..

getting sideways on 33's off-road is pretty f@!#ing fun if you ask me lmao.

i might as well update my collection for this thread.

since the explorer is long gone. i now have a 99 ford ranger XLT sport step side on 31's. :)