Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenyon

Stuck In Park!

9 posts in this topic

My 1998 mazda 626 automatic will not shift out of park. Can someone help me out? I would like to fix it myself without taking it to the shop.

Firs of all things, check the fuses. Make sure it isn't blown.

Check your brake light switch. If that has failed, you won't be able to get out of park. A commen affect to tell is that your brake lights will always be on. If they are not, test the brake light switch then.

The other one if the shift lock solenoid which is in the shifter assembly. Try to apply power/ground to the proper wires & see if it will activate.. If it does, then the problem is bewteen the brake light switch & that solenoid. Could be the wires or the switch.

Make sure the shifter cable is still held down in place at the shifter assembly & under the hood.

NEUTRAL SWITCH......

IT RELEASES LEVER FROM LOCK WHEN YOU INSERT THE KEY AND DEPRESS THE BUTTON ON YOU LEVER...

THEY GO BAD CONSTANTLY...

thanks for the good words. i will use these posts as points of reference to diagnose the problem. i hope i can fix it in the parking lot without towing it somewhere.

NEUTRAL SWITCH......

IT RELEASES LEVER FROM LOCK WHEN YOU INSERT THE KEY AND DEPRESS THE BUTTON ON YOU LEVER...

THEY GO BAD CONSTANTLY...

I think this is my problem but...would have been nice to get a bit more info.

I have a problem where I have a problem getting the car to shift out of park. The lever will not even move. The button on the lever wont push in without really forcing it but it still wont release the lever to shift. It doesnt do it all the time. I can also sit and play with it and eventually after repeatedly hitting the brakes and pushing the button it will release. Once released it will shift fine.

Brake shift interlock switch...prevents the car being shifted from park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

Check the radio fuse. This is an electrical feature, and it share the same fuse with the radio (15A)