Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

Ndm's Bixenon Hid Conversion Thread

Okay guys, so my HID conversion is starting to role, some of you may know that I already have HID fogs, which are amazing, but I want more! So I am going to retrofit Bi xenon projectors into my 1998 626. I think I'll be the first person to do this on a 626.

Materials I'm going to order/Have Ordered:

1) FX35 BiXenon projector (Ended up getting 2 Entire FX35 Headlights for 100 bucks shipped!) Got em!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Names...senger_Side.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Names...iver_Side-1.jpg

2) H4 --> Bixenon Wiring Harness (Will either make one or just buy one for 30 bucks, I'm leaning toward buying one)[EST Price $31.00]

3) New Lens for FX35 projector (A clear replica lense to give more white/color at the cutoff!)[EST Price $30.00]

4) Xenon D2S OEM bulbs (I want OEM bulbs, because I'm going to get high wattage ballasts, 55w, as opposed to oem 35w, everyone recommends to use OEM bulbs [like philips] when doing this for heat reasons, aftermarket ebay bulbs and such make more heat than oem bulbs] Got these free with headlamp, hopefully they are good bulbs[EST Price $00.00]

5) 55W Apexcon HID kit, (Found here http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html) I'm not getting slims though, too expensive! [EST Price $100.00]

6) Universal Ballast to D2S bulb connector (Requires a special connector) [EST Price $15.00]

Cost for above materials: $277.00 (Since I got the projectors the major part, now I'm just going to focus on the Headlight lens making process, the rest of the stuff I can buy later)

Now the lens

1) 2 spare 98-99 626 headlights (If anyone wants to donate, or sell me a left/driver side 98-99 headlight please pm me!)

2)1/10 Clear Acrylic Sheets

3) some concrete and Bondo

All are needed for for making a new clear lens. It turned out resin was going to be a bad idea it yellows over time with light exposure so pass!. And hopefully for anyone else who wants to follow and do a conversion it will be easier, because I will make several of these extra lens.

As far as the cost of the first part it can be done much cheaper, by bypassing the super clear $30 lens, and not going 55W (that would save you 50 bucks right their). Also if you really wanted to you could get cheaper projectors, but these are probably the best choice for our car size wise. They are some of the smallest Bixenon's which means it hopefully won't interfere with our coolant resivours.

Also if the clear acrylic front headlight lens goes well, I may make totally clear corners, no little white reflector piece, totally clear! So if anyone wants to donate corners as well feel free!

End Result I'm expecting:

img-279023-1-2884176682_7e7a36dfac_o.jpg

Len's Removal thread: http://www.mazda626.net/index.php?showtopic=33855

2nd Post reserved for more pictures, but feel free to let me know your ideas/thoughts guys!

Ballast and connectors ordered. I think for the lens the first thing I'm going to try is molding off the lens's(so I dont have to make a negative mold). So I'm going to try to fill the current prongs with maybe a dab of jb weld, then sand them off. This way fi I can't mold from the outside, I can always still make negatives :biggrin:. Also I'm considering making the shrouds around the projector out of plexiglass too :biggrin: And then painting the backside with some high temp silver or black. I'm going to hold off on the new projector len's until I affirm everything is in good working order and get the headlight len's made. Other than that all I have to buy is the plexiglass, shrouds(if I need to), and a new projector lens. Almost done with the easy part!

well guys things started coming in thursday and friday. So far I got in the headlights and wiring harness. I'm still waiting for the ballasts, FX clear lens, and plexiglass for the new headlight lens. But I decided to start doing a little work today, so I disassembled the FX35 headlights and pulled out the projectors.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount them on the test headlight. I think I am going to use the 4 screw holes seen here:

img-279479-1-IMG_4903.jpg

to mount it with some extra long screws, washers,nuts, and possibly bushings, and cut off the larger parts of the bracket that protrude outwards.

could look something like this when done:

img-279479-2-IMG_4900.jpg

but with a shroud to cover it up to look nice.

Also look what I found:

img-279479-3-IMG_4897.jpg

these could look really nice in the new clear corners I plan on making that will be entirely clear!

Wow, keep up the good work! I think you should paint it black, it'll look better. More aggressive. And it would be better, i think, if you screwed the projectors from the back (if you have room). If you cant, mx6 forum said to use a cardboard as a template to make an inside cover out of plexi glass to cover up the screws and the gap in the back. Here are the pics:

img-279552-1-IMG_0929.jpg

img-279552-2-IMG_0933.jpg

Site

hey sammy thanks for the input. I think I'm going to use plexiglass like he did for behind the shroud, but I'm going to do an easier method hopefully. I'm going to heat it in the oven just like I plan to do with the actual headlight len's and press form it to the headlight. SO once the projectors are mounted and installed I'm going to press the plexiglass over the projector and headlight to make the mold. Then cut out the center area for the projector, and paint the backside of it silver to cover up the bowl area. I'm going to try to stay the OEM look, black is cool but headlights look great chrome IMO. Also My headlights are actually different than the other 98-99 626 OEM headlights. When I bought my aftermarket ones as replacements 1.5 years ago I didn't know but mine were different.

img-279560-1-IMG_4911.jpg

Mine on left, stock OEM on right.

also the wiring harness is done. Modified for my bi-xenon solenoids.

img-279560-2-IMG_4918.jpg

:biggrin:

ya, i see the difference. silver would look more "OEMy" than black. Since my car is black, it'll look better than silver if i decide to do it on my car. And heating the plexiglass is a smart idea. That way, the plexiglass will look smooth on the edges and not choppy.

PS: I like the UT Longhorn magnet. I'm a UT fan!

after drilling all the holes with my template of course, heres what one of them looks like :biggrin:.

img-279571-1-IMG_5147.jpg

I think itll look nice and OEMY!

That looks pretty good! It's a good thing the 00' and up don't need new lenses. all most all of the light is clear:

img-279574-1-DSC01151.jpg

But hopefully everything will turn out fine. And are you painting the inside chrome or silver?

ID retro in a heartbeat if I had those lenses. Ideally I would like chrome. But I think silver could be Okay as well.

I think before I go through all that work, I'm going to try to use these FX35 shrouds that came with the headlamps. Itll just take some fanciful cutting :biggrin: but I think I can do it.

the shrouds right in the middle

img-279577-1-4795_043_320x240.jpg

I also got aluminum tape for preventing light from escaping out.

ya, if you can make the same design like on the fx35's on you 626, it would be awesome. also, you can try like fiberglass to make your own custom shrouds if the fx35's don't go well or you mess up.

Also My headlights are actually different than the other 98-99 626 OEM headlights. When I bought my aftermarket ones as replacements 1.5 years ago I didn't know but mine were different.

img-280169-1-IMG_4911.jpg

Mine on left, stock OEM on right.

It looks like you bought 00+ aftermarket ones? But great progress keep it up

Interestingly they are actually 98-99 aftermarket headlights I got from ebay with the fluted lens. And they came right off my car so I know they fit just like the 98-99 headlights. I'm going to tenatively finish the retro this weekend. Its been 2 weeks of the 626 sitting in the driveway waiting for its turn to legally errr . . . . more legally hit the streets. :biggrin:

More updates :biggrin:

So I had to do it similar to the mx6.net guy because my oven sucks (like 20years old). And its temperature consistancy is terrible. So trying to get the plexiglass to the right temperature was a horrid experience. So i just molded the fronts of the lens, cut off the front of the old ones and overlayed the new molds over them. And put some tape on for the temporary mock up. I have a little sanding to do around the edges to make it fit better and I plan to seal it all when im done, but tape is great for temporary use. Also I plan on a Black pinstripe style border(or Painted). And adding a e46 shroud. I also have a little rotational adjustment to do which is a piece of cake since I installed rubber washers to use as bushings.

Time of day 3:30 eastern prior to winter time dusk.

Lights off:

img-280740-1-IMG_5276.jpg

img-280740-2-IMG_5279.jpg

Lights on:

img-280740-3-IMG_5277.jpg

Really bad overexposed pic, their is actually little to no light leakage.

img-280740-4-IMG_5280.jpg

As you can see I need some rotational adjustment:

img-280740-5-IMG_5281.jpg

By the way here are the shrouds:

img-280742-1-E46rep3.jpg

Their about 35 bucks. Once I get those I'll start decideing the color scheme (definitly black + silver) but its just a matter of how I do it. I was thinking either just Black border, or Black Border + Black painted around the bowl. But we will see :biggrin:.

I haven't updated you guys in a while so here you go:

Alright well first test run with them.

They came out great so far.

These first two are pretty accurate to how they look, the pic shows less color though.

img-282256-1-IMG_0077.jpg

img-282256-2-IMG_0078.jpg

vs my blazer fogs same distance:

img-282256-3-IMG_2709.jpg

Rotational Adjustment:

Left or Driver Side

img-282256-4-IMG_0080.jpg

Right or Passenger Side:

img-282256-5-IMG_0079.jpg

Those 2 pics are underexposed.

Need some major Driver side rotational adjustment counterclockwise

Passenger some slight clockwise rotational adjustment.

I'm going to flip the e46 shrouds and mount them upside down in the headlight :biggrin:. Should look nice. Let me know what you guys think of the output.

yep pretty much just need to, take out 2 rubber washer from the left, one from the right(to flatten out both projectors rotationally). install the shroud, seal up the back, and put on some 3m clear vinyl to protect the acrylic from rocks and debris.

This was my toughest 626 mod by far.

nice! i bet it was, too bad you didn't have the clear lenses the 00+ have. so, you couldn't get the perfect cutt-off like your fog light have?

Well the stepped cutoff is actually better (comes stock with these projectors) for headlights each projector has a metal shield that looks like this ______/---------- so that it can put more light onto the right hand side of the road, while still not glaring to other drivers(on the left). Fog lights dont have this because generally they are so low it doesn't make much of a difference, but when your looking at headlights it adds maybe 5-10 feet more forward distance and a good extra bit to the side.

yeah I'm actually planning on getting rid of the smoked tails/corners and going back to OEM or more so, I like the cleaner look. So I'll get some 2000-2001 tail lights, and some OEM corners(maybe make them clear myself).

I think having smoked corners/tails was a phase I went through.

Eliminiating the skittles commercial from my left driver projector.

Its difficult to see in this picture here:

img-282386-1-IMG_5347.jpg

I adjusted the brightness in photoshop to make it more obvious what I was seeing.

img-282386-2-IMG_5347_bright.jpg

but you can faintly see the rainbow. The problem wasnt the rainbow but the misformed step I was receiving, so I spaced the lens of the projetor about 1/10th of an inch and now the cutoff is a perfect step with the perfect blue and purple that looks high end.

Should be nearing completion now, just time for one more round of rotational adjustment, loctite, and protective vinyl.

lol, why? your not tasting the rainbow? anyway, too bad there are no clear corner lights anymore. i ordered some from d5concept.com when the guy said there is one set left, but got the refund back today. apparently someone got it right before i did (damn him/her!!!). i'm just going to stick with the orange reflectors.

but i'll also try to attempt the same project on spring break after i get my tax return check from 07 and 08. but before i do that, i have some body damage on the right/passenger side headlights and they are way unaligned. i need to fix that first.

well guys things started coming in thursday and friday. So far I got in the headlights and wiring harness. I'm still waiting for the ballasts, FX clear lens, and plexiglass for the new headlight lens. But I decided to start doing a little work today, so I disassembled the FX35 headlights and pulled out the projectors.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount them on the test headlight. I think I am going to use the 4 screw holes seen here:

img-300344-1-IMG_4903.jpg

to mount it with some extra long screws, washers,nuts, and possibly bushings, and cut off the larger parts of the bracket that protrude outwards.

could look something like this when done:

img-300344-2-IMG_4900.jpg

but with a shroud to cover it up to look nice.

Also look what I found:

img-300344-3-IMG_4897.jpg

these could look really nice in the new clear corners I plan on making that will be entirely clear!

hey i know this is one of your really old posts but i had two questions:

what did you use to mount the HID bulbs in behind the projectors?

and what is that thing that you said would look good in the clear corners?

OH BTW i found a site that sells clear corners:

http://www.genkituning.com/Lighting-Euro-Corner-Lights-s/30.htm

nice job. i have a question when you install hid's to the 626's are you eliminating the high beam or do you still have a high beam with the hid's?