Zuke626

What Grinds Your Gears? (annoys You, Gets Under Your Skin)

872 posts in this topic

Old guys at tech companies are still obsessed with the idea of a dick tracy watch.  It's impractical.    Put a bendable smartphone sized oled display on a wristband and that's the future of tech.  Pipboy is better than a watch.

I'm a cynical, jaded fellow. I'm the guy you don't bring to parties.

But I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would blow $300 on a 1/4 sized iphone that straps to your wrist. With the battery life of a 7/11 RC helicopter.

Not only do less and less people actually wear a watch, since the phone in your pocket is essentially a timekeeper, but who needs a smart watch??

And I literally mean that; who NEEDS a smartwatch? What use could it possibly bring that the phone in your pocket couldn't do better?

GPS? Use the phone, bigger screen.

Texting, email? Use the phone, bigger screen, easier to type.

Shopping, web browsing? Why would you not use the phone?

Quick pay feature during some tech advanced checkout so you just swipe your wrist? Fine, be that guy.

Anything you use the 'watch' for, just dwindles away the already limited battery life.

The main feature they advertise is the fitness monitor. The feature that monitors when you need to be active, stand up, run, walk, and for how long.

Fascinating.

The person that wrote this article, makes my head THROB:

http://gizmodo.com/why-i-bought-the-apple-watch-even-though-it-makes-no-da-1699956976

"An Apple Watch is completely unnecessary and very probably useless for someone like me. But I

Is your argument against the smartwatch concept, or Apple in general?

Obviously no one needs one, but our society is based on our wants, not needs. Nearly all of us have our needs fulfilled, and that's a luxury we all enjoy.

But at the end of the day, it's no skin off my back if something else wants to get their teeth gold plated, or wear a smartwatch.

80% Watch hate, 20% apple hate. I have an anti-apple bias I won't try to hide.

I'm just enjoying ranting on the lunacy of the concept. No skin has left my back, just laughing about it.

By no means would I berate someone I don't know, like a stranger, if I interacted with them and noticed (without them noticing that I noticed) they were wearing one.

If I had a friend who got one though, which is impossible, I would taunt the crap out of them.

Ah okay. I'm not in the market for a smartwatch. I'm not in the market for much, really. I don't understand the appeal of most products, but I guess that's another story.

Portable GPS is good, but better options exist. Hiking? Just pull your phone out. Mountain biking? A Garmin GPS is more rugged and likely to survive a crash (my little old eTrex has gone through so much yet works reliably on a pair of AA batteries). I also can't fathom a "phone watch"

Back on topic, what grinds my gears is going out for the afternoon and returning to a hail storm with the car parked outside :mellow:

People that place online orders, 1 minute before the place closes.

We close at 1am on fridays and saturdays.

It's 12:59, everything is cleaned, put away, oven turned off and revving down, last closing driver on his last delivery, he's already clocked out not even coming back to the store.

Our 'rush' hours are very predictable. Lunch rush, dinner rush, and late rush. About an hour or so before close, it's like working on the moon, there's nothing.

Order comes in, just as the clock hit's 1am.

THATguy.jpg

A flash of rage flows over me, then I calmly pick up the phone and politely tell them, HELL NO. In different words. Gave them a free order for tomorrow.

No one with any common sense, places an order one single minute before a food establishment closes. I really like to think that everyone has seen the movie 'Waiting', which is the bible of food service.

This person knew exactly what they were doing, and no voice in their head said, wait...don't do that.

Ugh. Reminds me of my retail days. One minute before closing, someone would want a fruit platter.

People that place online orders, 1 minute before the place closes.

We close at 1am on fridays and saturdays.

It's 12:59, everything is cleaned, put away, oven turned off and revving down, last closing driver on his last delivery, he's already clocked out not even coming back to the store.

Our 'rush' hours are very predictable. Lunch rush, dinner rush, and late rush. About an hour or so before close, it's like working on the moon, there's nothing.

Order comes in, just as the clock hit's 1am.

img-393902-1-THATguy.jpg

A flash of rage flows over me, then I calmly pick up the phone and politely tell them, HELL NO. In different words. Gave them a free order for tomorrow.

No one with any common sense, places an order one single minute before a food establishment closes. I really like to think that everyone has seen the movie 'Waiting', which is the bible of food service.

This person knew exactly what they were doing, and no voice in their head said, wait...don't do that.

I can only imagine the shenanigans that go on at a pizza place.  I worked fast food with drive thru for a few years in HS; you wouldn't believe some of the clowns that would drive up.

There was this one guy that actually flew a helicopter to breakfast on Sundays...he would just land it in a grassy field across the parking lot, get a $3 sausage biscuit, then get back in his chopper and go.

No way!

Yeah, and I didn't live in a particularly wealthy area, either (there were some well-to-dos, but mostly lower-middle class).

I never thought I'd see the day you'd quote me in your sig haha.

There's few things I enjoy in life more than well worded sarcasm. 10/10

I'm not sure the OP even understood what I was saying...he seemed to agree with it if I recall.

What really grinds my gears is our property owner has suddenly changed his mind and is selling our property. Two months ago he was fine and growing his portfolio. Now he's selling. Didn't bother telling us or his letting agent, rather the poor agent selling the property was lumped with the job to tell us. I'm sick of moving house!!

What grinds my gears? When I take something apart and when I put it back together I have one bolt left and have no clue where it goes. 

Just had to share that and this was the perfect place

On 8/1/2016 at 6:58 PM, sumdoode said:

What grinds my gears?

Slideshow stories:  Have to go through 20 pages of one sentence each.  Whoever started this needs to be shot!!!

Anyone still know the url of the genuine mazda parts website or can tell me where I can find the Alternator's Idler Nut( that secures the pulley in place)

3 minutes ago, MobBarley93 said:

Anyone still know the url of the genuine mazda parts website or can tell me where I can find the Alternator's Idler Nut( that secures the pulley in place)

http://mazdaepc.com/