Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tmo7177

Could A Misfire Cause An Overheating?

I have a 2000 Mazda 626 V6. On Friday I had the cel come on. I went to Advanced Auto and got it read and it was a misfire in cylinder 2. So first things first I canged the spark plug and reset the light. I already had plans to go out of town, so I went. Everything was cool for awhile, no misfire or cel. A couple hundred miles later, I was climbing a hill and i got misfires and the light came back on. I continued to drive because I knew what was going on. Then about 30 miles more I noticed the car was overheating. Normally it runs about a quarter the way up but it was half way up at this point. So i was running the AC and cut it off and opened the windows. That fixed it for the time being. Then on Sunday I had to return home. Before I did I made sure the coolant level was okay, which it was. Then I headed home. Everything was fine for awhile then the car started to overheat again. It was bouncing around, it would be fine for awhile then get hot, nothing over halfway though. Then I came to the mountains and there was a hill climb. It started to get really hot, so I had to pull over and let it cool off three times. It was so hot it has spitting water out of the house on the resvoir tank. So after the hill climb I pulled off the next exit and let it cool down and added some more antifreeze mix. From there I made it home okay, the temperature was moving around but nothing over half way.

First I am guessing I need to fix the misfire. What could it be? I replaced the spark plug so i know its not that. How can test the coil pack without a meter? Then what could possible be causing my overheating issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ok....sounds like you did the basics. ...i.e there's coolant in your car. There's a couple of other things that causes the car to overheat.

Here's a quick list

1. Coolant Thermostat is stuck ..i.e coolant not flowing through

2. Plugged radiator from years of build up.

3. Crap stuck in front of the radiator fins

and the worst...an internal coolant leak...head gasket, cracked cylinder block etc... which will definitely cause the plugs to start arching ( hence the misfiring)

I would start wit hthe coolant thermostat first and go from there. Good luck !

Hi there I wonder if you find out what is the problem? I have the same issue with my 03 Nissan Murano.  I change sparked plugs and and coils, radiator, fan and thermostat were also replaced. They did a head gasket test and it seems fine.  But after a lil drive through hills engine starts misfiring and overheating gauge goes up and down...3 shops no body can seem to figure out whats causing that. I like to go out of town to camp specially during the summer time, now im scared to drive to far and do some damage to the engine.