Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leev

Free Modifications

well i hope this can become a sticky, for other people to use for reference. ;)

EDIT: updated as of 06/09 new info

---Mods that give a little bit of power, or really just mpg increase( god knows we need it....LOL) ---

Taken off my power steering (to great benefit),

Fully ported and polished my throttle body.

Taken spare tire, jack, and UPDATE: interior 100% gutted

Have a complete c.a.i., which did cost $...bout 20 for the filter, 7 for the home depot air duct lol, filter is in the front bumper, getting air right from the outside world. and fuel filters on the pcv lines, brether on the other side.

seafoam the engine, (intake side, oil, and gas), clear up carbon and easy power adder.

if you can, lower weight of oil (not for older engines)

theres a cam retard thread i have in performance section, -3.57, -6.57 for free shift in the powerband.

zip ties brake lines for added stiffness, see bottom of page 3

keep a lower tank of gas, less weight, better mpg

lift back of hood to keep air under hood fresh and cool

cmon people, free stuff, or very little cost that adds up, suggest here.

I'm glad my misforrtune/ discovery has helped out someone else. Probably easier for you to steer because you don't have the wide ass tires I do.

cruise control and light foot aceleration aloong with shifing at a normal sepped and not reving up poast 3.5k rpms that will help you get good milage thats what ive been doing when im not racing lol when im racing its 2nd gear at 50 mph lol

yea i do that, keep the revs low.

whats realy annoying is the 5 gears....goin 100 down the freeway but rpms are really high....

need an over drive..

thats what i was hoping to make this.

but the feedback has stayed realy low.. :(

i listed all i know, all iv'e done.

anymore people? throw em in.

Leev, if you still have the head from the old 626, you might concider having it ported and polished and milled down for a higher CR. with a Colt Cams regrind you're gonna experience a real powergain.

I did that to mine (domestic regrin though) and i have 134 hp @ 6500 (mine is a carbie, remember?)

Never mind your MPG. in Denmark we pay 2.25$ pr. liter. That's roughly 10$ pr. gallon. :(

grrr...tow truck came before i could get the head...

ill just pick up a spare online, have it ported and shaved a bit, swap it to the mx6.

and live happily ever after....

*sky turns black, clouds roll in, birds flock in hundreds*

*sinister tone* -- and then.....i turbo......

*sky and atmosphere return to normal*

anyway....

lol

dont shave/mill a head unless you have too. the gains arent worth it. if u ever have any issue, and it warps, if you allready shaved it, very doubtful it will be saveable again.

and the big part people dont think about. when you shave the head, it changes the timing. plus our motor's are just on the verge of being a interference motor. that shaved head could be all you need to bend some valves if anything ever happens.

personally, i like reliability, and wouldnt do anything that can in so many different ways effect our motor, and not in a good way. your not gonna be seeing any big gains in power from it anyway. so its just not worth it to me.

dont shave/mill a head unless you have too. the gains arent worth it. if u ever have any issue, and it warps, if you allready shaved it, very doubtful it will be saveable again.

and the big part people dont think about. when you shave the head, it changes the timing. plus our motor's are just on the verge of being a interference motor. that shaved head could be all you need to bend some valves if anything ever happens.

personally, i like reliability, and wouldnt do anything that can in so many different ways effect our motor, and not in a good way. your not gonna be seeing any big gains in power from it anyway. so its just not worth it to me.

That's all true, but if you want a real powergain from a N/A engine, there is no alternative to a better flowing head and a higher CR. Yes, you do sacrifice some of your reliability, but it's the only way to gain power if you don't want to go Turbo.

:smile:

^

i allways just go turbo. lol. so much easier and cheaper to make more power.

a n/a 2.2 isnt anything that will make any real power. (or at least has) iactually, i would really like to know the highest HP f2? i wonder if anyone has even hit a solid 150 @ the wheels?

^

i allways just go turbo. lol. so much easier and cheaper to make more power.

a n/a 2.2 isnt anything that will make any real power. (or at least has) iactually, i would really like to know the highest HP f2? i wonder if anyone has even hit a solid 150 @ the wheels?

You kinda make that sound like a challenge! :biggrin:

i just bought a dremel type thing..

im going to reaaaly port the t.b., (make the divider between both flaps KNIFE edge sharp)

maybe mess with sum more things.

more importantly...with my b-day $, i bought the pacesetter header, a 2.25 reducer,

a 2.25 glass pack,

then send the pipe to the back, and stick a nice muffler on there.

so no more cat, and resonator...

just a glasspack, and a muffler...

mmmmmmmmmmm

i want a resonator, or sumthing in between the header, and muffler, just as a....sumthing..

so why not. lol

glass pack is te way to go on our motors. add's so much more of a deep tone to it. we dont have emissions here, and i allways run with no cat, a resignator, then a power tech muffler. (cept on my turbo 92 probe gt. thats 2.5 turbo back, nothing but a tip on the end. lol)

update*

with the new dremel, i bored out a bit, the polished the living shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit out of it.,

that bridge in between both butteflys?

knife edge sharp baby. oh yea.

lol

Resonator is a good thing on a naturally aspirated engine. A glasspack or a set of glasspacks might muffle the regular running sound, but while coasting the NA engine can and will rattle a lot, and it's not a nice sound. It doesn't even add too much back pressure.

On a turbo engine, however, it's not such a good idea. Turbo will take care of the rattle, and as there are no pulses after turbine, the resonator won't work as intended, and adds quite a bit more resistance.

a cheap mod i know of is getting lawn edging from home depot and bolting it on nicely to make a nice looking lip. also, wouldnt cheap lowering springs or cutting your springs also help with the mpg? lower to the ground means less wind resistance.

a cheap mod i know of is getting lawn edging from home depot and bolting it on nicely to make a nice looking lip. also, wouldnt cheap lowering springs or cutting your springs also help with the mpg? lower to the ground means less wind resistance.

^ yup.

DON'T CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

Your original springs are lousy at best. Cutting them will only make them worse!

I would be looking for a nice coilover setup for a 2.gen.

DON'T CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

Your original springs are lousy at best. Cutting them will only make them worse!

I would be looking for a nice coilover setup for a 2.gen.

^^

true dat.

just swap over 2nd gen suspension.