626ofAll

Cabin Air Filter?

42 posts in this topic

Does the 98' and up generation have a cabin air filter? I'm curios because I have lots of little bits of leaves and tree pollen and old decomposed foam blowing out my vents now. If ther is a filter, then I might assume that the foam was the filter. If anyone knows I be curios.

i bought a cabin air filter for my 2002 LX but i cant find the dang thing, i heard it is behind my glove box but when i checked i didnt see anything that resembled the filter i had bought.. i think im going to take my dash apart and look.. ill let you know

According to the FSM there is not. Behind the glove box there are air flow actuators and a blower fan, but thats about it. It doesn't mention anything about a cabin air filter which I would think, if there was one, it would.

Yea, thats not always a feature in cars (tho it would make sense).

My Tiburon has one however its a PITA to replace.

I think I may have discovered what is missing.

It appears, from looking in the haynes manual photo, that the foam piece that goes over the blower motor intake in my picture is missing. The manula photo shows some sort of foam covering the intake. I have a feeling that maybe what has crumbled into the system and blown althrough the vents. I had to take the glove box out to find that, but I think that may be the issue.

img-269546-1-PICT05252.jpg

is the cabin air filter the unicorn of the car world?

when ever i would open my cars vents (88) a clusterf**k of dust and god knows what would slap my face.

annoying.

is the cabin air filter the unicorn of the car world?

when ever i would open my cars vents (88) a clusterf**k of dust and god knows what would slap my face.

annoying.

Well, mine didn't use to do that, but now it spews chunks of leaves, live oak pollen, live oak tasesl, and other little bits of crap. I will put my write up in the tech section asap.

i wonder..if some cars 1st gen 2nd gen whatever don't have a filter, can we mod one up and make our own? interesting..

I just discovred something. AS in my photo below, the intake to the blower grid is open, but turn off the recirtulate button, and that foam you see in back of the intake closes, so that it pulls in air from the outside. I think there should be a filter between the outsidevent and the blower. However, the foam that clooged my vents, whicjh i reomved, came from somewhere else inthe system. Every time t turn it on i hear little things bounding around near the blower motor. Today i dissasabled most of th dash, which i will post my write up as soon as i can, and pulled chunks of old faom aout of the vents, which were way to big to fit trough the blower motor.

There is no cabin air filter in the 626. That piece of foam is all there is and it only needs to be replaced if it disintigrates. Bad news is, the only place I know of to get it is the stealership.

BTW, the Tiburon is easy to replace the cabin filter. Get a power drill with a phillips head bit and remove the glovebox. Pops in and out in about 15 minutes.

so there isnt one....but could a person just MAKE a filter for it?

so all the sand in Egypt doesn't hit my face everything i open my vents?

You should be able to make a filter. It is just a matter of dropping it in somewhere in the system. It isn't a bad thing to have...

The foam that is clogging my vents once again, is cominc from somewhere else. Without really dissasaembling the dash completely I might not be able to find where it came from. I took my dash far apart enough to get the vents out, but there is more foam now though. I already removed a handful of it. It was about the size of a handful too.

is the foam possessed? was it sent from the devil to clog the entire air system?? :unsure:

damn it sounds horrible lol :P

if there are no cabin air filter, then rock auto must be wrong. check this out: 2002 Mazda 626 Cabin Air Filter

i think there is or something similar. cuz little bits of foam is coming out along with a few leaves and other stuff. but mainly foam come out.

Does the 98' and up generation have a cabin air filter? I'm curios because I have lots of little bits of leaves and tree pollen and old decomposed foam blowing out my vents now. If ther is a filter, then I might assume that the foam was the filter. If anyone knows I be curios.

I read somewhere that this depends if you have aircon installed. Nevertheless if there is one it would be behind the gloves box. In the middle of this article (in polish) you can see the pictures:

http://www.mazdaspee...pic.php?t=11789

How to replace:

http://www.ehow.co.u...in-filters.html

1 person likes this

this is funny... Euro-GE has a cabin airfilter only when the A/C was equipped.. And from 97 - all the sixers had the filter whether it did or did not have the A/C.. If it's there, it's right after the blower and it has a small handle attached to it.

I took a sneak peak at the RockAuto - that is definitely NOT the right item or the US spec cars are slightly different from ours..

It should look smth like this - img-298900-1-02440165301.jpg

I just picked up a 2000 626 and in reviewing the manual, it says in the maintenance section, Schedule 2, last line (p 8-12):

Cabin Air FIlter (if installed) Replace once a year or every 12,000 miles (20,000 km).

I've had a '99 626 for 6 years now and there's no mention of one in that manual.

They sell cabin air filters for the 626 on ebay and other places online but where they would be located on the car is beyond me.

More mysteries!

The last post in this topic was about a year ago. I found the filter, if people still care about it...

It's SUPER easy to change and you don't even need to open the glove box, let alone remove it...

If anyone still cares about this, post back and I'll respond back with instructions and a photo or two...

^

like Mario pointed out over a year ago. we never had one in the states, and that last poster isnt from the states. so his isnt going to be the same as yours.

All righty then.

First off, I apologise for taking so long to respond. What with the holidays and all, it’s taken me a while to get back on the forum and check to see if anyone responded. To be honest, I am surprised and disappointed that I did not receive email notifications when each of you responded, considering that you were responding to a thread which I had posted in, and that I had set that thread to be followed. If anyone can tell me how to set it up so that I receive email notifications, I would be very much appreciative.

Secondly let me clarify: I am actually not in the US and so my 626 is an Australian release. I don't reckon it would be TOO different, though. In addition, the 626 that I have is the 2001 Platinum "GF" model; the 2.0L I4 with the small rear spoiler.

Thirdly, I have a tendency to make long, rambling posts. I apologise for this in advance. I just like to be very thorough in my explanations to avoid confusion and I always get carried away. :-) No, seriously.

The part numbers for the filter that matches my car are the:

Ryco RCA102P – Cabin Air Filter (also click here)

Bosch SZ117 – Cabin (Pollen) Filter (also click here)

(Bosch P3738 or P3738WS (choose “Cabin Filter” from the drop down menu) – Cabin Filter (also click here, click the “Compatibility” tab, then click on “7 Vehicles”)

The first two spec pages (which you can get to by clicking on the hyperlink of the filter types above) are both Aussie versions of the websites and both specify that they are for the GF versions of the Mazda 626 which date from July 1997 through to August of 2002. If your car was manufactured outside this window of time then I am not sure how applicable this post will be for you.

Now, the third filter I have listed up there, the Bosch P3738(WS), seems to be Bosch’s part number in their American system, and is the part listed for my GF version AS WELL AS the 2000 2.5L V6 “ES” that your forum ID says you own, W. Craig III. In the same search (on Bosch’s American web site), I also searched for the Cabin Filter for my ‘01 2.0L I4 GF and it shows the exact same filter as being the proper part. So whether or not my photos match your version of 626, we use the exact same cabin filter. So I can’t imagine the housing, and thus the application of that filter, being too different. As for when I searched for your ’99 626 2.5L V6 ES, the website said that the cabin filter was “not required”. As well, from what I understand, 626 models previous to this do not use Cabin Filters at all. I suppose there’s a chance that your “2000” 626 EF is actually a ’99 overlap and, therefore, also doesn’t have the filter. Are there other differences between your two 626’s that lead you to believe that they are actually different models, by one year?

Then comes the last link I posted above, the “click here” after the American Bosch link. This shows some other interesting info, in that it says that Boch’s P3738(WS) filter(s) are only to fit the ’00-’01 626 GF and that the ES doesn’t get that filter (or perhaps any filter) until ’02. This is the same with the LX. Don’t ask me...

Regardless, for posterity, and because I’ve spent the last week poring over technical papers and websites and search filters (no pun intended) about this stupid cabin filter, I’m posting pics and narrative of what I found in MY 626...

So basically, I rooted around behind the glove-box and in the dash until I found where the filter actually was, which made me feel pretty stupid. LOL. As I said in my first post, it's super easy to access (in my 626, anyway) and you don't even need to remove the glove-box.

Onwards, as you can see with the pics that I've uploaded (and I REALLY hope they show for everyone), the rest is really straightforward. It's mostly a matter of identifying which part is the bottom of the filter cartridge. In the photos, I try and add something into the frame as a reference point. For example, I might make sure that the floor mat is in the frame so that you know which way the pic is oriented and, based on your knowledge of where the floor mat is, you'd know the location in the picture.

It may be a little easier to access, or to see what you're doing, if you remove the small, plastic trim just below the glove box. It's a piece of plastic in a strip shape, meant to hide the blower, etc. assemblies from view, as they stick down a bit lower than the glove box reaches and so it would be kind of ugly if they didn't put in that extra line of plastic trim, which matches in colour to the interior of the car. Mine came off with a metal screw on the right side and a plastic punch screw on the left side (might be reverse/opposite for US cars). Again though, you don't need to remove this, it just may make it a bit easier to see the components. I found that it didn't really do anything in terms of blocking my actual access to removing the filter, it perhaps just blocked my vision of the box that the filter goes into.

img-329214-1-IMG_0125-1.jpg

So once you remove the trim you can (hopefully) see the metal blower assembly on the far left (again, keep in mind that this is an Australian right-hand drive vehicle so the blower may be on the far right in yours). Scanning to the right (or perhaps left, in left-hand drive vehicles) there is a beige-ish, small, L-shaped accordioned tube, followed by some metal junk and then there's a big, black box. This big black box is where it's at.

img-329214-2-IMG_0121-1.jpg

You'll need to open the car door and crouch outside the car, leaning into the car and twisting so that you can see the underside of this black box. The underside of the black box looks like this:

img-329214-3-IMG_0116-1.jpg

That somewhat U-shaped metal bracket being held on by the single bolt is the locking bracket for the filter. If you have a look in the photo at what the bracket is holding inside the black box, you see the underside of the filter gasket. The filter gasket is a strip of plastic covered by a piece of fitted rubber. From the underside it has three black nipples. The nipples are what I used to pull of the gasket strip off, once I removed the single bolt. I did not take the bracket off of the filter gasket. You can if you want, but good luck getting the bracket back onto the filter on re-assembly.

img-329214-4-IMG_0115-1.jpg

Once I removed the filter gasket, I was left with the filter gasket in my hand and, looking at the underside of the black box, I could now see the underside of the filter:

img-329214-5-IMG_0113-1.jpgimg-329214-6-IMG_0111-1.jpg

Now allow me to describe the filter. The Cabin Air Filter is actually two separate, rectangular pieces of filter. One piece slides along the edge of, and locks into, the second piece in order to make a large, square shape. The two rectangular pieces are identical in all ways except for the fact that one of them has a thin foam strip along the edge. Each rectangular piece, individually, is made up of two small, square pieces that, once unfolded to open, then sit side by side to form a long rectangular piece. So the assembled filter is basically a large square, made up of four small squares, unfolded and locked into each other. In addition, unlike the engine air intake filter which comes in one piece and which you lay down flat inside the filter housing, this Air Cabin Filter slides upwards into the slot, more like a cartridge. And because the slot/opening in the underside of the black box is only just barely as wide as a single one of the rectangles, you first slide in the rectangle piece which has the foam strip. Once it is in all the way, you push it forward towards the engine. Once pushed all the way forward, this then leaves the slot/opening on the underside of the grey box empy again, ready to receive the second rectangular piece of filter which slides into the grooves on the backside of the first filter. Here is the Ryco installation diagram and a pic of what it looked like after I had grabbed the plastic nub (which fits into the inverse hole of the rubber filter gasket where the nipple is) of the first filter and yanked it out. Note that you can still see the plastic nub of the second piece of the filter, still scooted all the way forward:

img-329214-7-IMG_0090-1.jpgimg-329214-8-RycoInstallGuideSheet.jpg

img-329214-9-IMG_0089-1.jpg

Also note all the crud and leaves that are hanging out that were dragged out with the old filter. That is NOTHING compared to what came out of there! It was disgusting! There was black and brown goop/sludge and hair and bugs and leaves. Ugh.

So anyway, once I pulled out the first piece, I then grabbed the white plastic nub of the second piece, pulled backwards until it was just over the slot and then pulled downwards until it was out. It’s a tight fit at the last bit, once the bottom of the filter is hitting the sloped floor of the car. You can free up a centimetre (roughly 1/3 inch or so) by pulling back the floor mat. It will also be a kind of tight fit going back in.

Once both pieces were out, I had this:

img-329214-10-IMG_0098-1.jpgimg-329214-11-IMG_0099-1.jpg

And slid/locked together, it looks like this:

img-329214-12-IMG_0101-1.jpg

That was the old one. The new, clean one will look like this:

img-329214-13-rca102p.jpg

When I pulled the filters out, like I mentioned, a whole ton of crud came trailing out behind it. So have a vacuum handy. I also went ahead and, using a flat head screwdriver, scraped all the gunk off of the rubber gasket. The gunk seemed to collect in the corners and crevices of the rubber.

Installation of the new filter was simple; it was just the reverse of the removal of the old one. Take the first rectangle which has the forward-facing strip of foam and slide it upwards into the slot/opening on the underside of the now famous Big Black Box. Now slide it/push it all the way forwards until it stops. You will now only see the back edge of it with the single raised line of plastic running along the back edge. Now comes the next part which is ever so slightly tricker. You need to get the second rectangle of filter up into the now open slot as well, however you will notice that the forward facing part of the rectangle has a double line of raised plastic. Note the pics to see what I mean. Basically, you need to maneuver this second piece so that as it slides up into the slot, the single raised edge of plastic on the back of the first piece slides in between the double lines of raised plastic on the front of the second piece. Like a track. This done, they are now locked together to make the single, large filter. You’ll notice it’s kind of a pain in the butt and won’t go in until you get it lined up.

The next part that I found a bit tricky was that, as I mentioned earlier, I first tried putting in the filter gasket and then placing the metal locking bracket into place to screw back shut. However, no matter how hard I tried I could not get the metal bracket into place. I finally realized that if you remove the filter gasket, clip the metal bracket into place in it, and then put the whole thing back as a whole, you’ll get it into place. Once that’s in place, chuck that bolt back on and voila! New cabin air filter in place!

I then immediately started up my car, cranked up the air and went for a spin. I was disappointed because it seemed to me that the somewhat mouldy smell was, if anything, even more pervasive than it was before I changed the filter. And when my wife was in the car with me, she becan coughing like crazy. She has asthma. I was quite worried. However, after about a half hour, it seemed to work itself out and was WAY better from that point on. I reckon I must have just stirred everything up while changing it and must’ve knocked a whole bunch of contaminant loose into the venting system. It took about a half hour to blow it all out and since then the air has a WAY WAY better smell and fresher feel. My car has 120,000 Km (roughly 75,000 miles) and I am the 3rd owner. As far as I know, the filter has never been changed. I am a bit strange in that I don’t often like to roll down the windows unless I am driving slowly, off the freeway, on a really nice day. Otherwise I have the windows up and I ALWAYS have the air on. Without exception. That said, my cabin air filter gets put through its paces and, as such, I plan on now changing it once per year. The only thing that I am disappointed about is that, if you check the Bosch chart that I linked to in the beginning, you’ll notice that there doesn’t seem to be an activated charcoal version of filter for our 626’s. What a bummer. That would work wonders for my wife.

Anyway, hope this helped! Good luck and let me know how you guys went doing this!

2 people like this

WOW!!!

What a write up.

You are nothing if not thorough in your explanations and details. Thanks for your efforts!

My '99 has nothing like what you describe in your post. Once I unbolted (3 plastic push-in "bolts") the plastic trim piece underneath the glove box, there was no assembly that looked remotely like what you showed here. Hard to believe that they made things so differently for basically the same car.

My son drives the '00 model so I'll sneak a peek under his dash when he comes around again and see if it looks like yours or mine and go from there.

I also have an '01 Tribute that does have a cabin air filter and it comes out from the engine compartment, not the interior of the car so 6 of one and a half dozen of the other as far as ease of access.

Was your procedure described in your owners manual or were you left to your devices to figure it out?