Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
626ofAll

Search Tool Is Giving Me Hell

Has anyone else had trouble with the search feature? I have noticed that it won't take two word searches, and it is really goofy

true true,

i wanted to search erg, and allot of other small words...

BUT NO!!!

only large words..

thats just racist... :P

Yes .... it makes it very hard and I do not like the search feature on these boards at all. Some of the words that I wanted to use this past week that I couldn't use are:

HID

LED

Fog

ES

2.0LNo idea why this didn't work

CAI

RamFor use with short ram air intake

Bar

MPG

....... and the list goes on

Its a retarded limitation that hinders anyone to perform any relevant searches thus making the search feature very user-unfriendly.

It also mistakes paces for null characters. For example, I might search "ICW rims". It will mistake the space for the termination of the string or something, and void my search.

IM NOT STONED

hehehe..

shifty glances...

me neither....

You have to understand, if they gave the ability to search for a three letter word, it could potentially crash the site if someone searched for a common word like "the" because of the numerous results returned. I don't know who would do that, but that seems like a good enough reason to not allow it. I suppose you could create a list of three letter words that are unsearchable, but it's just easier to not do it. Resort to the tool that NDM built. If you use the search form on the right side, you can do whatever you want.

actually a tool that only blocks generic words like "the" and whatnot....sounds perfect.

I gotta say, this is just absolutely as annoying as can be and I really don't see much of use to it. Although you say it could crash the forum I have my doubts given its size, the amount of posts, and the fact that this forum is hosted via the forum software manufacture Invision Power Board of which I use myself. If you did end up having execute-time-exceeded issues you might try inflating the time required between searches, or, if the host allows it, try using the InnoDB for tables that the search tries to lock, the posts, since MyISAM is probably what you guys are running as the current MySQL table engine, I can see it causing slow downs with large table transactions since unlike InnoDB it locks the whole thing, its less selective and causes more issues when transactions queue up.

Maybe I'm talking out of my arse here, but in my experience, with sufficient resources for the size of the board, or just some simple and expected back end modifications there should be no issues, there is simply no way the database for this board is more than 600-700mb with indexes. :unsure:

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm

this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots

are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth

to thatone?

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm

this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots

are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth

to thatone?

Spammer B BANNED!

Yes and the automobile glossary is full of three letters words as abreviations. I tried to send an email to the administrators and they didn't even care to answer...says a lot. You can say all you want about forum crashes...all the other ones permits three lettres words...simply pothetic

actually ALOT of forums im on wont search anything 4 letters or less. its more then typical. but i do agree to a point that 3 letter search's should be allowed. since as you pointed out, many parts we will call by a shortened name such as IAC, PCV, ITB and so on.

Don't recall if anyone has suggested it, but you can use Google to search the site....

Just go to their "advanced search" settings, and search for the words/phrase you want, restricting the search to this domain. It works!