croat

The Infamous Suspension Clunk

13 posts in this topic

I did search all forums on here and the intraweb for info on this and found slight info indicating the solution however nothing concrete. After isolating the problem to the front passenger side, decided to take things apart to find the problem. Found out that the front passenger side sway bar bushing was in half (half missing). Went to the Mazda dealer and they advised that its $6.00 part and will take 1/2 hour to fix. They need to remove the sway bar link in order to access and remove the bushing. Everyone I have seen all around (including the guy I bought the car from who's a mechanic) states that its more than likely the strut mounts or the struts which was and is infactual.

Will be picking the part up and swaping it in the next few weeks. I hope this simple cheap fix can help someone else resolve this very annoying problem.

Ciao,

~croat

I did search all forums on here and the intraweb for info on this and found slight info indicating the solution however nothing concrete. After isolating the problem to the front passenger side, decided to take things apart to find the problem. Found out that the front passenger side sway bar bushing was in half (half missing). Went to the Mazda dealer and they advised that its $6.00 part and will take 1/2 hour to fix. They need to remove the sway bar link in order to access and remove the bushing. Everyone I have seen all around (including the guy I bought the car from who's a mechanic) states that its more than likely the strut mounts or the struts which was and is infactual.

Will be picking the part up and swaping it in the next few weeks. I hope this simple cheap fix can help someone else resolve this very annoying problem.

Ciao,

~croat

ANy luck with this? I have a 98. Changed Links all around. Still some weird "clunk" from the back...sometimes in the front.

I think my rear sway bar buchings might need replacing.

From what I am reading on these forums, sway bar issues seem to be the norm, not struts.

Let me know! Thanks!

yea same here, i have the 01 626 LX and i have clunking somewhat, my rear sway bar is fine, but i haven't gotten around to checc the front

Generally, if your upper strut mount gets old, the bearing inside it will also begin to make noise when you turn the wheel.

In my experience a clunking is generally due to a moving part. Something like a CV joint, ball joint, tie rod end, strut mount can make a clunk. stabilizer bars don't really "move". Both ends are tied to the control arms. If the control arms movement is up and down only is seems a bad bushing in the middle of the bar wouldn't make a "clunking" noise, but rather a scraping or squeaking noise as the bar moves up and down and scrapes against the metal strap w/o the bushing there. I could be wrong but it sort of makes sense to me.

Getting to the bottom of the cause can also depend on when the noise is happening. If it's in a turn then I'd think more a CV, ball joint, tie rod end, or strut bushing. Those strut bushings are just little bearings that are made out of plastic, so they're basically designed to break. I just redid my entire suspension; struts, strut mounts (and bearings), springs, stabilizer bar (rear), front stabilizer end links, and front stabilizer bushings, etc. When I pulled the old strut bearings out they were broken in two. And I was getting a clunking noise before whenever I turned left. I can't tell you if it fixed it or not cause I haven't had it out on the road since the replacements (waiting for a control arm, and $$$ for the alignment and tires!) hahaha. If the clunk is still there I'm think CV..... yuck.

If the clunk happens when you're going straight then maybe a wheel bearing???? Or maybe the rims aren't mounted properly on the car.

FIXED!!!

Changed both rear sway bar bushings, the "clunk" sound from rear is gone!!

I inspected the bushing once removed, it was only so very slightly worn on the inside, meaning the hole or opening

was worn bigger just a tad. That beeing said, opened or worned just a bit makes the bar loose and generated noise when going over sharp bumps. Before changing, I was able the grab onto the sway bar , shake it and replicated the "clunk" or "thunk" sound. I think I will check the front to see if they are worn.

Cheers!

hey

yep I myself have an old mazda has the original bushes crazily enough

went to pedders today and bought $120 worth of tie rod ends and bushes for stabiliser bar CAUSE i have the clunk too

i think the cars gonna handle frikken great once it's all done NEED a wheel alighnment straight after>>>

BLISS

CHEERS FElLA"s

I was thinking the clunk from my car's rear was that damnable electric antenna assembly. However, I'm going to take a peak under their and look at all the bushings back there. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...mazda-626-2.htm

After reading that they mention a tapping coming from the rear, but the problem with the terminology is that tapping and clunking are rather subjective. I have a feeling that the issue they mention is different than the clunk I hear. I will check back as soon I climb under there and look at all the bushings and what not.

You could also grease the bushings. You're supposed to. That shuts them up sometimes, and being dry is why they wear.

I had the same problem.. It was driving me absolutely crazy till i figured out what it was. I removed the 2 brackets and wrapped electrical tape around the bar to make it thicker, then put it back together, just to see if that really was it before I went out and bought new bushings. Sure enuf, the clunking stopped.. Hallelujia! Now I think I will wait till it starts clunking again to replace the bushings, now that I know what it was. BTW, the sway bar runs from one side of the car to the other just in front of the centerline of the rear wheels. there are 2 brackets with bushings inside that mount it to the frame of the car.

On 8/20/2008 at 7:03 PM, ghking said:

same problem. Where are the sway bar bushings? can someone post a pic?