Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
johnd900

Alternator Belt Keeps Breaking

So here's the story...

Alternator gives out so I replace it. Ever since then the alternator belt keeps breaking. I cleaned all the pulleys, can't see anything binding up. I frequently get a real loud squeal when I take off and after about a minute it stops. I thought it must be the water pump is no good but when I start tearing into that I found no leaks around it, the pulley seemed to spin freely, etc. So I didn't end up replacing it. Any advice?

Clean all the electrical connections to the alternator. Mine was doing the same thing and that fixed it. Hope it works for you, too.

Does the alternator pulley lign up perfectly with the other pulleys? If not, it may also cause belt breakage.

And as XoX1de says, check the belt tensioning. However, I would first check the tension, before tightening it:

Put a straight piece of metal/wood over the belt and put approx. 10kg of force on it and see how much it deflects. Deflection should be:

-PS/AC-belt: between PS-pump and crankshaft pulley: 0.32-0.37 inch(8-10 mm)

On 4/15/2008 at 6:11 PM, johnd900 said:

Misaligned pulleys!!! That makes sense! Great advice. Thanks very much, I'll be sure to let you know what I find. :biggrin:

On 4/15/2008 at 6:11 PM, johnd900 said:

Misaligned pulleys!!! That makes sense! Great advice. Thanks very much, I'll be sure to let you know what I find. :biggrin:

What was your outcome, I have the same problem